Starting to really like Dolmar saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok I will admit it, I am really liking these Dolmar saws. I grew up using Homelite and Poulans. I still have them for fun but changed over to Stihl for commercial work. I run a full line of Stihl from 200t on up to the giant 084. Now that I have a few Dolmars in the mix, a 401 with a 16" bar, 3410th with a 14" bar, and my newest 5100s with an 18" bar. I really like the weight and power the Dolmars put out. Love the handle design of the 3410th. Don't think I will ever get all the Stihl saws out of my system but these Dolmars are giving a good run. :)

Personally I am really starting to like the price of the dolmars. I visited the local dealer this past week for the first time to pick up some parts for a used saw I recently picked up and he had the PS7900 for $649.00 !!

Ok I will admit it, I am really liking these Dolmar saws. I grew up using Homelite and Poulans. I still have them for fun but changed over to Stihl for commercial work. I run a full line of Stihl from 200t on up to the giant 084. Now that I have a few Dolmars in the mix, a 401 with a 16" bar, 3410th with a 14" bar, and my newest 5100s with an 18" bar. I really like the weight and power the Dolmars put out. Love the handle design of the 3410th. Don't think I will ever get all the Stihl saws out of my system but these Dolmars are giving a good run. :)

Dada,
What dealer do you use?

Dada,
What dealer do you use?

He gets them through Thalls underground Dolmar sales, out the back door of the Stihl shop. :cheers:

I hear he is moving Huskys now too. :jawdrop: after he potty trains them.

What's not to like? I certainly fully understand the pro's angst with Dolmar and their support network. Since my lively hood does not include the daily use of my saws, I've found other ways around this issue. However, if I did rely on saws on a daily basis I would use Stihls. In the mean time I have a riot running the Dolmars. I hope I'm at the top of the list somewhere for the new 9900 when/if it becomes available.

What about the 6400? Hear about the 5100 and the 7900 all the time on these boards but not hardly anything about the 6400. Seems like a good powered middle point. Personally can't afford 7900, 5100 is a little small but the 6400 seems to fit right in there.

Don't know why it really matters I can't find a dealer in the area. Guy 40 miles away seems to be a moron and guy 40 miles the other way is a equipment rental place that could order one if I prepaid. When I asked if they had anything I could test run, all of their rentals are 7900s with 32" bars. That tells me nothing about what I want with a 18".

Matt

What about the 6400? Hear about the 5100 and the 7900 all the time on these boards but not hardly anything about the 6400. Seems like a good powered middle point. Personally can't afford 7900, 5100 is a little small but the 6400 seems to fit right in there.

Don't know why it really matters I can't find a dealer in the area. Guy 40 miles away seems to be a moron and guy 40 miles the other way is a equipment rental place that could order one if I prepaid. When I asked if they had anything I could test run, all of their rentals are 7900s with 32" bars. That tells me nothing about what I want with a 18".

Matt

A lot of guys are picking up makita 6401's at home depot rental spots,when they sell them off.You can take a 6400 and put a 7900 jug and piston on it and have a cloned 7900.weight is about the same.never ran a 6400 must be a decent saw with little trouble or home depot wouldn't rent it out.I have a woods modified 7900 black top just sounds so pretty and cuts like butter.Love that saw think i'll have it buried with me,when I croak.

I agree with all that you've said especially of not necessarily needing the power and expense of the 7900. Dolmar sells a lot of the 6400's and
7300's for the very same reasons you state. I also know full well about the lack of reputable dealer support. I've personally found alternative ways to procure Dolmar items to my satisfaction. I can only speak for myself, if I want something bad enough, I'll find a way come hell or high water. I presently own 4 Dolmars and I'll find a way to get one of the new 9900's when and if they do become available. As a side note, I've never once taken a test run for any saw from any dealer on a saw I've intended to purchase. For me there is enough information exchanged back and forth, about the saws I've wanted, between much more knowledgeable folks than I here at A.S. If there has been any other information I've wanted, I've asked and have received answers in detail. Basically, by the time I've researched, purchased, received and first run the saws they perform pretty much as I ascertained they would. There might be a lot of ribbing each other about who's preference of manufacture makes the best saws, that's for sure. However, when it comes to evaluations, I've yet to experience anyone here purposely making false or outrages claims in regards to a particular manufacturers products. Especially, when helping somebody in determining which item to purchase and before they spend their hard earned money on it. Heck, nobody could top me clearing a whole 640 acre section of hard woods in one day with my 88 h.p. McCulloch anyway!:) I know I'll end up owning several Huskies in the future myself, even if they have 4 legs, they're still a "Dog of a Different Color". Seriously though, I would like to own all or some of the following; 346XP, 372XP and 395XP. I've never run any of them but would venture to guess they're some darn good choices based on what I've learned here at A.S.

He gets them through Thalls underground Dolmar sales, out the back door of the Stihl shop. :cheers:

I hear he is moving Huskys now too. :jawdrop: after he potty trains them.

Tom is Spikes and CuttinScotts secret agent.....:rockn: :rockn: :rockn: :ices_rofl:

...but maybe a double agent - maybe tripple, or whatever....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Tom is Spikes and CuttinScotts secret agent.....:rockn: :rockn: :rockn: :ices_rofl:
...but maybe a double agent - maybe tripple, or whatever....:greenchainsaw:

Ya know Niko,,,, I think you just may be on to something,,,,, Hmmmm????

Let me see??????? THALL10326 a double or triple Naught Spy Eh??????? :monkey: :monkey:

That is funny!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Since I was in the SW suburbs today, Chicago, I stopped at a HD with a rental department. None of their saws were for sale. They could order me a 6401 for $529 if I wanted a new one. All 4 were beat to crap and had various parts cracked/missing. All with 20" bars. I can order one from a site sponser for less than that.

Matt

Matt,
All the ones in the Chicago land area go fast, I know first hand. You can call any HD and push option 6 on their phone prompt, this will transfer you to the rental department and you can inquire. This should save you a lot of time and hopefully they will give you an accurate evaluation over the phone. There are presently 6 available in the Cincinnati,OH area HD's that I know of. They will transfer them to a more convenient location if you pre-pay over the phone. At least I believe so, other locations have and I would guess this is company policy.
PS, After reviewing what I just wrote, I think I'm taking this saw thing way to seriously! If I only put this much effort in my job, I'd have it made!:jawdrop:

Since I was in the SW suburbs today, Chicago, I stopped at a HD with a rental department. None of their saws were for sale. They could order me a 6401 for $529 if I wanted a new one. All 4 were beat to crap and had various parts cracked/missing. All with 20" bars. I can order one from a site sponser for less than that.

Matt

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago here in SoCal. They had two that were for sale, both were beat to death - one of them didn't even have an air filter... Missing bar nuts (some replaced with nylock nuts) and other various parts were broken or missing. They wanted $205 each.

I walked away from them and never looked back.

I got hooked on them at am early state in my chainsaw addiction with the 115. That was a fast little 50cc saw. Still think it is faster than the old 346xp.

Anywho, I love my Dolmars. If I had to only have two saws, the 5100 and 7900 would remain. The 7900 would do anything I ever needed it to, but the 660 sure makes the bigger chores a little easier. I wouldn't part with my 5100. Thinking about picking up another before they discontinue in the future..

Matt,
All the ones in the Chicago land area go fast, I know first hand. You can call any HD and push option 6 on their phone prompt, this will transfer you to the rental department and you can inquire. This should save you a lot of time and hopefully they will give you an accurate evaluation over the phone. There are presently 6 available in the Cincinnati,OH area HD's that I know of. They will transfer them to a more convenient location if you pre-pay over the phone. At least I believe so, other locations have and I would guess this is company policy.
PS, After reviewing what I just wrote, I think I'm taking this saw thing way to seriously! If I only put this much effort in my job, I'd have it made!:jawdrop:

Don't worry, your not the only one.......:cheers: I think I've been to or called all of the HD's across the state at least once, some time or other looking for them.

I don't know if I'd pre pay on the rental saws. I bought four of them over the years, and passed on about 50 of them. Rentals really get beat on, I would like to see them before buying them. Do they offer a return policy if you pre pay for them?

For you guys thinking about the 6401, I would seriously think twice, especially if you are going to buy new. I for one was not impressed with the 6401 at all. It has a lot of torque, well until you push on it. My stock 365 would outcut it about 2 seconds faster in a piece of 10-12" hardwood, and it is about a pound or more with fuel and oil than the 365. They make good 7900's though, if you get them cheap enough to put the 7900 p/c on them (about 200).

The best value of the bunch is probably the 7300. It moves along pretty good. A buddy that I cut with every now and then wanted a 7900 after running mine, but couldn't justify the money so he got the 7300. I think it is about $100-120 less than the 7900. It is about even with a stock 7900 until you get into the 24" and larger wood. The 7900 is ever so slightly quicker in the small stuff, but really shines when you get into the 25-28" stuff. The 7300 is no slouch, it pulls a 28" in hardwoods just fine.

Back