Steel cats do they work better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know about steel cats, are they worth the extra money or is it just a gimmick! I posted this in another forum by mistake sorry I couldn't figuar out how to move it:bang:

i liked ours real well.it was a condar steel cat for our old earth stove.it seemed to last good,around six years 12-15 face cord a year.it did come up to temp quicker i think,and light off easier.sadly the stove had to go to retirement this week as the cast iron collar the cat mounted in broke.the company has been out of buisness for a while so 30 years for and off to retirement she went.

I have been nursing my ceramic for a few years now and I think next time I try and take it out it will fall apart completely. Curious to reads what people have to say about the metal cats too.

I have been nursing my ceramic for a few years now and I think next time I try and take it out it will fall apart completely. Curious to reads what people have to say about the metal cats too.

well, it looks like not many people are using them?

I have stainless steel cats in both my Woodstock progress hybrid and fireview. The fireview originally came with ceramic and I would get about 2 seasons before they would crack and fall apart- if I was carefull I could get 3 seasons out if them. I'm on my second season with the SS cats and they appear that they will not fail in that manner...

At least two of the companies that sell cat stoves, BK and woodstock, started with ceramic and then switched to SS a few years back, and after that turned out poorly have returned to ceramic. Seems the fine holes in the SS tend to plug up much easier. I burn a BK cat stove bought just this year and it came with a ceramic and a 10 year cat warranty.

I wouldn't pay more for a SS cat.

Latest posts

Back