Stihl 041AV Rebuild starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There can't be 1/16 of an inch between the crankshaft weight and the bearing though. There's only one spot that I can even grab it with the 2-jaw. I see what you're saying though. The other two saws that I've done the bearing stayed in the crankcase. Was I just that lucky before?:D

Those splitters are very thin and then dish out thicker pushing the bearing off as you tighten it down, it would remove your tight bearing easily.

Lucky before, beats me, did ya get em both running, if so, wasn't luck, that was your skill man,:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The Christmas money is just flying out the door this year!! I was thinking of getting a vacuum tester from HF, guess I'll be getting a bearing puller too.

Porting?

Has anyone ported one of these? I know it only turns like 7500rpm, but I'd like to have something that will pull a 25in bar alittle better. The exhaust port looks very limited, and the opening into the muffler doesn't have a lot of room for improvement either. I was thinking of widening the intake, exhaust on the existing cylinder and maybe lowering the bottom of the transfers. I'm worried about the 40yr old chrome flaking off after I cut into it. Thoughts?

Is the back of the puller going to damage the crank? If it scratches I guess I could just polish it out. Just thinking out loud here.

Another thing you could do is when using the puller you have, tighten it down real tight and then tap the head of the center screw with a hammer. Then tighen it some more and tap it again. The vibration may be just enuff to make the bearing release. If it will move just a tad and break free the rest of the way is easy...

Has anyone ported one of these? I know it only turns like 7500rpm, but I'd like to have something that will pull a 25in bar alittle better. The exhaust port looks very limited, and the opening into the muffler doesn't have a lot of room for improvement either. I was thinking of widening the intake, exhaust on the existing cylinder and maybe lowering the bottom of the transfers. I'm worried about the 40yr old chrome flaking off after I cut into it. Thoughts?

As bad as those 041's vibrate you won't be running nearly as much as you think, rest assured. They are built like a tank but it tends to kill on both ends.
A high reving one from porting would probably numb your hands in no time flat...

A gentle massage of the ports couldn't hurt, but you will be ok with that saw and a 25" bar unless you are in one hell of a big hurry.

Mike

As bad as those 041's vibrate you won't be running nearly as much as you think, rest assured. They are built like a tank but it tends to kill on both ends.
A high reving one from porting would probably numb your hands in no time flat...

They do, but I find mine isn't that bad TOM, being a AV and all.

I was just looking for alittle advice on some simple porting. I am not going to be racing with this thing just using it when I've got something over 20in.

Blend the bottom of the transfers alittle?
I was going to do the exhaust, but there's not much room for improvement.
The intake has alot of room for growth, but if I can't do the exhaust does it even pay?

ha ha ha. Now I always thought it, now I know it. You full of ****. But yes your right. I've never run mine for any length of time. Now the 066 I had, was murder on my hands.

I know of no one that has run a 041 all day. I getem in the shop all the time and as good as they are most all the owners complain of the vibration even though they love the saw.

I got a super nice 041. Runs perfecto but my hands say daddy, we perfer you sit this saw down and get the 361,LOL

I thought you were a tough guy Tom. Or is that just your Italian friends?:greenchainsaw:

I gotta protect these hands man, they are priceless, non replaceable, what would Demi do if they vibrated constantly. Wait a minute, I'll be back, gotta go fire up my 041 now,LOLOLOL

Back