Stihl 041AV Rebuild starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ported my 041 Super a little bit a few weeks ago when I tore it all down. Didn't do too much to the transfers; just smoothed them out a bit. I widened the exhaust significantly but didn't do as much to the intake. As you noted, it's pretty much impossible to do a really good port matching on the muffler due to the restriction of the pipe as it comes out of the mounting plate. I rounded that area off as much as I could though. I never took any pictures of this, but I have to tear it back down again here pretty soon, because I have a better case to build it around now. I'll take some pictures when I do that. It runs great and sounds amazing, but I haven't cut with it since modding yet because this case has a stripped bar stud mount. The new one is in much better condition.

A strong 041 should pull a 25" bar just fine. At least I always thought mine did when it was 61cc. Once I get this Super rebuilt, I'm going to try it with the 28" .404 setup I have.

Here's the non-AV 041 I just rebuilt last week in action:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa6UOs7lI-4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa6UOs7lI-4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's no slouch, that's for sure!

Dayumm that thing is rolling. I think you know how to do your chain as well as the saw, that thing cuts great,:clap::clap::clap:

Welp is ya ever get down this way stop on in..

Here's my 041, yes I about froze my azz off getting this pic, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

attachment.php

Man that's nice. The paint is a little shiner then mine, guess I'm gona have to bust out the polish.

Man that's nice. The paint is a little shiner then mine, guess I'm gona have to bust out the polish.

Funny part is how I got that saw. I was working at the bench one day with the shop door wide open. I heard this clunk behind me. I turned around and there stood this guy. He had just sat that saw on the counter. He goes you want this, I go huh, he goes you want this saw, I don't need it anymore, my wife bought me a new Stihl from you. I go ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok, so you don't want that saw, he says nope, its yours and out the door he goes. The thing had alittle scoring but ran fairly well. I pulled it apart and found the bearings were getting some play in them. New bearings, a piston and rings and she runs perfecto now...

Funny part is how I got that saw. I was working at the bench one day with the shop door wide open. I heard this clunk behind me. I turned around and there stood this guy. He had just sat that saw on the counter. He goes you want this, I go huh, he goes you want this saw, I don't need it anymore, my wife bought me a new Stihl from you. I go ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ok, so you don't want that saw, he says nope, its yours and out the door he goes. The thing had alittle scoring but ran fairly well. I pulled it apart and found the bearings were getting some play in them. New bearings, a piston and rings and she runs perfecto now...

Sweet, that's a nice saw, I'm not planning on using mine for work at all. I want to keep it nice, worth more that way. I've only cut a few cookies with it.

Got any pics. We would like to see.

Pics will be coming tomorrow, it's in parts spread over my workbenchs downstairs and in the garage. Was hoping to have the crankcase together this weekend, but that didn't happen. There's always tomorrow.

Sweet, that's a nice saw, I'm not planning on using mine for work at all. I want to keep it nice, worth more that way. I've only cut a few cookies with it.

Same here. One thing I love about the 041's is how they sound, they sound like a Harley. This one of mine beleive it or not will idle down at 2000 rpms. Ole Hoss couldn't believe how slow it will idle and the sound is neat as hell.

I just repaired a 041 a few weeks back for a old man in his late 60's. He tells me I've had that saw 30 years and I wanna keep on using it, its been a great saw. A carb kit and varooom, you would have thought I saved his kid's life the way he carried on, he was so tickled his old 041 was up and running again. He flipped me a 20.00 tip to boot, gotta like them kind of customers...

Same here. One thing I love about the 041's is how they sound, they sound like a Harley. This one of mine beleive it or not will idle down at 2000 rpms. Ole Hoss couldn't believe how slow it will idle and the sound is neat as hell.

I just repaired a 041 a few weeks back for a old man in his late 60's. He tells me I've had that saw 30 years and I wanna keep on using it, its been a great saw. A carb kit and varooom, you would have thought I saved his kid's life the way he carried on, he was so tickled his old 041 was up and running again. He flipped me a 20.00 tip to boot, gotta like them kind of customers...

Ya I love the sound of mine. Listen to the idle at the end.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_CH9GziWg0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J_CH9GziWg0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dayumm that thing is rolling. I think you know how to do your chain as well as the saw, that thing cuts great,:clap::clap::clap:

Thanks man, but I can't really take much credit for the chain! It's brand new out of the box - the only other cuts I've ever made with it were the three passes made in the 031 #2 vid. The extra 13cc made a big difference with that b/c setup though.

Yep, I feel the same way. Here's my Super at idle:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrhusFkmsQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NrhusFkmsQg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That was after I first put the Super topend on it back in the summer. Since I rebuilt it a couple weeks ago it'll idle even lower; I don't have a tach so I'm not sure exactly how low. The 041 in my previous vid holds a pretty low idle though too.

Both of those saw have that deep rumble at idle, running good. If it weren't so cold and 2am I would fire mine up and let yaw hear that baby lope so slow you swear its gonna cut off but it doesn't. Its the only saw I own that will idle so slow you can almost hear it fire on every single stroke, gotta love them old 041's:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Both of those saw have that deep rumble at idle, running good. If it weren't so cold and 2am I would fire mine up and let yaw hear that baby lope so slow you swear its gonna cut off but it doesn't. Its the only saw I own that will idle so slow you can almost hear it fire on every single stroke, gotta love them old 041's:clap::clap::clap::clap:

My 090 can do that sometimes - I've actually had it cut out on me for a split-second and then start back up again. So much rotational mass there though.

My 090 can do that sometimes - I've actually had it cut out on me for a split-second and then start back up again. So much rotational mass there though.

Oh yes, the 090 sounds good too. My buddy Hoss has a couple of them and they rumble at idle. He has one that friggin bellers in the cut, that is one strong saw. He keeps wishing his Mac 125 would handle that 090 but it won't, its no contest....(can't wait till he reads that,hehehehe)

Oh yes, the 090 sounds good too. My buddy Hoss has a couple of them and they rumble at idle. He has one that friggin bellers in the cut, that is one strong saw. He keeps wishing his Mac 125 would handle that 090 but it won't, its no contest....(can't wait till he reads that,hehehehe)

Heh, I've seen a few guys here make that argument. I've never run a 125 myself so I can't really speculate, but it's hard to argue with an extra 14cc of displacement in the 090's favor. I got rid of the governor on mine, so it's free to cut as fast as it can. I just make sure to not overspeed it out of the cut. It's fun to play with. For 'bout half an hour, then it's time to get out the cold packs.

Heh, I've seen a few guys here make that argument. I've never run a 125 myself so I can't really speculate, but it's hard to argue with an extra 14cc of displacement in the 090's favor. I got rid of the governor on mine, so it's free to cut as fast as it can. I just make sure to not overspeed it out of the cut. It's fun to play with. For 'bout half an hour, then it's time to get out the cold packs.

Hoss has two real nice 090's. They both run great. He's also got the biggest Dolmar made, a 166, I think thats what it is. Between the 125, the 166 and the 090 I'll take the 090. He's been searching for years to get the super large 160 cc jug and piston for the 090. He's yet to spot one but man he is on the hunt for one. I think there were only 10 or so made...

Youse fellas ran this thread late into the wee hours while I was a sleepin. I like the old 041`s very much and have posted picts of my just like new and still in its original case 041AV and its brother a well used model. Like you have said, heavy vibration , lopey idle and a great sound. Lately I have been messing with my two 090`s, chainging bar lengths and chain combo`s just to see what works best, you know the drill.
This rebuild the OP has underway should be quite straight forward, the 041`s are not real hard to work on and if he keeps us updated or runs into any problems we should be able to guide him through.
Thall, the parts fellow over in Washington is still very much in business and I recomend him for NLA or vintage parts, anyone needing his addy can PM me or I am sure Brad would not mind as he uses that fellow also.
Pioneerguy600

Pics as promised

Crankcase puller that I made
attachment.php

The bearing that stayed on the crank
attachment.php

The cylinder gaskets. The exhaust port leaves little room for improvement, from the looks of the intake gasket there seems to be some widening/lowering that I could do.
attachment.php

Mock up of some of the better parts I'm going to use. The crankcase halfs will get a soak/scrub yet, and the muffler cover, rear handle, and clutch cover will also. Needed a new pullcord anyway so put the elastostart on it right away.
attachment.php

This 041av will get 441 bar studs, and a rim sprocket along with the elastostart and a mild port. Then it's got everything I'd want right away. I'm still stuck on dawgs for it. Here's a pic of the 441 studs on my 028Super, with 1127 inner dawg, and hardwood outer. They match up perfectly and are way more useful than the stock inner.(1110)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks guys

It did slide off, I don't know what I was afraid of. There's a bit of play in the bearing.
attachment.php

Should I be worried about the crank then?
attachment.php

Crankcase puller that I made
attachment.php

The bearing that stayed on the crank
attachment.php

The cylinder gaskets. The exhaust port leaves little room for improvement, from the looks of the intake gasket there seems to be some widening/lowering that I could do.
attachment.php

Mock up of some of the better parts I'm going to use. The crankcase halfs will get a soak/scrub yet, and the muffler cover, rear handle, and clutch cover will also. Needed a new pullcord anyway so put the elastostart on it right away.
attachment.php

This 041av will get 441 bar studs, and a rim sprocket along with the elastostart and a mild port. Then it's got everything I'd want right away. I'm still stuck on dawgs for it. Here's a pic of the 441 studs on my 028Super, with 1127 inner dawg, and hardwood outer. They match up perfectly and are way more useful than the stock inner.(1110)
attachment.php

Looking really good.

It did slide off, I don't know what I was afraid of. There's a bit of play in the bearing.
attachment.php

Should I be worried about the crank then?
attachment.php

If ya got the bearings out, just replace them. Probably can get them from a bearing house or something, cheap.

Same crap different Day

The flywheels side stayed on like the clutch side. I used my drill press for not it's intended purpose.
attachment.php

attachment.php

This one came off a bit easier. Both are trashed, anybody know where to start looking for one in Central Wisconsin? I was going to try CarQuest, they've helped me out with bearings on some trailers before but nothing this small.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm watching this with great interest. Please keep track of where you find those bearing and let us know. I am getting an 041 AV from a member here and plan on rebuilding it at some point soon.:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back