Stihl 041AV Rebuild starts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking for alittle advice on some simple porting. I am not going to be racing with this thing just using it when I've got something over 20in.

Blend the bottom of the transfers alittle?
I was going to do the exhaust, but there's not much room for improvement.
The intake has alot of room for growth, but if I can't do the exhaust does it even pay?

Well if you wanna port it I'm not saying not to. Just reminding you they do vibrate quite abit. Most folks like to keep the 041 as orginal as they can, its more of a showpiece nowdays than a saw for use..

With a mild port, could the 041 run a 28" bar comfortably?
Or is that pushing it?

It's a situation where I've got it, I'm gonna use it. It started a couple years ago when I first rebuilt my dad's after his friend put the wrong gas in it. He acquired a few parts saws, then I got a few..... Now I'm getting parts to complete 2 more so we'll have 4 between us. I've 2 NIB piston/cylinders that I got a few weeks ago and was tee-hee and ha-ha-ing the whole ride home for what I paid for them and what else came with them.
I don't NEED this saw to work, I've got other saws to use all day. I just want to make ONE that will have alittle more oomph than the rest of them just because I have the saw and extra parts. I'm sure I'll be getting a 460 or larger in the future but for now cuz I have the saw in had already I would like to see if there's some more power to be had.

I know of no one that has run a 041 all day. I getem in the shop all the time and as good as they are most all the owners complain of the vibration even though they love the saw.

I got a super nice 041. Runs perfecto but my hands say daddy, we perfer you sit this saw down and get the 361,LOL

Yes, that's why I use my newer saws for work, they just get it done!!

I gotta protect these hands man, they are priceless, non replaceable, what would Demi do if they vibrated constantly. Wait a minute, I'll be back, gotta go fire up my 041 now,LOLOLOL

Ok, now your really full of ****, I know them hands have seen 2k's backside!! They are tainted for good, Demi aint coming anywhere near those hands now.

Or is that pushing it?

I'd say no.

361 large inside dog

Anybody tried the bigger inside 361 dog on an 041? I know you'd have to use 2 inside dogs, but I was looking for a way to put a chain catcher on the 041. That plastic one on all the parts saws I've gotten is either gone or not gonna catch anything. Maybe a 441 chain catcher off the Magnum would that work too for me?

Or is that pushing it?

28 incher on a 041 is abit much. It would cut but do it slowly, they are some little torque monsters but 28 inch would be pushing it hard. 20 inch would be it for me. Mine has a 18 inch on it and it actully cuts real good and moves right along through the cut..

28 incher on a 041 is abit much. It would cut but do it slowly, they are some little torque monsters but 28 inch would be pushing it hard. 20 inch would be it for me. Mine has a 18 inch on it and it actully cuts real good and moves right along through the cut..

I agree, mine's got a 20 on it.

It's a situation where I've got it, I'm gonna use it. It started a couple years ago when I first rebuilt my dad's after his friend put the wrong gas in it. He acquired a few parts saws, then I got a few..... Now I'm getting parts to complete 2 more so we'll have 4 between us. I've 2 NIB piston/cylinders that I got a few weeks ago and was tee-hee and ha-ha-ing the whole ride home for what I paid for them and what else came with them.
I don't NEED this saw to work, I've got other saws to use all day. I just want to make ONE that will have alittle more oomph than the rest of them just because I have the saw and extra parts. I'm sure I'll be getting a 460 or larger in the future but for now cuz I have the saw in had already I would like to see if there's some more power to be had.

Sounds like your mind is set so go to it. Here's food for thought though. Make it look like brand new while you got it down, now thats a project that will pay off everytime you look at it. You got it apart so redo the whole thing, body and all. New looking 041's are rare, you'll have something many don't have..

Sounds like your mind is set so go to it. Here's food for thought though. Make it look like brand new while you got it down, now thats a project that will pay off everytime you look at it. You got it apart so redo the whole thing, body and all. New looking 041's are rare, you'll have something many don't have..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok, now your really full of ****, I know them hands have seen 2k's backside!! They are tainted for good, Demi aint coming anywhere near those hands now.

QUOTE]

Whatcha talking about. Just cause 2k and me run over to the cat house and tackle LuLu together doesn't mean we're having an affair, she's a big ole gal and she needs lovin too,hahahaha

That crossed my mind, but I'm so much of a perfectionist that I'd have to sand out all the scratches on the bottom, and get new nameplates and the correct farm boss stickers, and, and, and.... I'm building it to work, slapping a Magnum sticker on the side of the air cleaner housing and making some chips with it.

QUOTE]

Whatcha talking about. Just cause 2k and me run over to the cat house and tackle LuLu together doesn't mean we're having an affair, she's a big ole gal and she needs lovin too,hahahaha

Hey, call it what cha want. I know where those hands have been on 2k out in da shed!!

Thats what I'm talking about, nice looking saw there. If it weren't in the teens outside I'd go out in the shed and get a pic of mine, its the exact same saw you have there cept mine is much prettier of course, hehe, messing with ya, that saw there looks great, good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That crossed my mind, but I'm so much of a perfectionist that I'd have to sand out all the scratches on the bottom, and get new nameplates and the correct farm boss stickers, and, and, and.... I'm building it to work, slapping a Magnum sticker on the side of the air cleaner housing and making some chips with it.

Got any pics. We would like to see.

Thats what I'm talking about, nice looking saw there. If it weren't in the teens outside I'd go out in the shed and get a pic of mine, its the exact same saw you have there cept mine is much prettier of course, hehe, messing with ya, that saw there looks great, good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks man, it was a diamond in the rough, and to think I almost gave it away for next to nothing just to get it outa my way. Then I decided hell no, they don't make those anymore. All the sawdust and oil must of preserved it. It really cleaned up nice, no paint work was done on that saw.

Has anyone ported one of these? I know it only turns like 7500rpm, but I'd like to have something that will pull a 25in bar alittle better. The exhaust port looks very limited, and the opening into the muffler doesn't have a lot of room for improvement either. I was thinking of widening the intake, exhaust on the existing cylinder and maybe lowering the bottom of the transfers. I'm worried about the 40yr old chrome flaking off after I cut into it. Thoughts?

I ported my 041 Super a little bit a few weeks ago when I tore it all down. Didn't do too much to the transfers; just smoothed them out a bit. I widened the exhaust significantly but didn't do as much to the intake. As you noted, it's pretty much impossible to do a really good port matching on the muffler due to the restriction of the pipe as it comes out of the mounting plate. I rounded that area off as much as I could though. I never took any pictures of this, but I have to tear it back down again here pretty soon, because I have a better case to build it around now. I'll take some pictures when I do that. It runs great and sounds amazing, but I haven't cut with it since modding yet because this case has a stripped bar stud mount. The new one is in much better condition. My #1 tip for working on these though is to make absolutely sure every nut and bolt are as tight as you can safely get them - and don't be afraid to use some blue Loctite here and there. My Super will throw 5mm assembly bolts all over at high RPM if they don't have a lock-washer or some threadlocker.

A strong 041 should pull a 25" bar just fine. At least I always thought mine did when it was 61cc. Once I get this Super rebuilt, I'm going to try it with the 28" .404 setup I have.

Here's the non-AV 041 I just rebuilt last week in action:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa6UOs7lI-4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wa6UOs7lI-4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's no slouch, that's for sure! That's a 20" 3/8" full-comp chain, and IMO it has plenty of grunt to pull more if it needed to - I can lean pretty hard on it. And while I wouldn't really want to cut all day with it, it's not all that bad for either weight or vibes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back