stihl 066 how big a bar??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a sharp chain mine pulls a 36" in hardwood with pretty good authority.

It is ported and I have no reason to believe it wouldn't handle a 42" nearly as well.

attachment.php

In 42 wood?

In 42 wood?

Huh?

I assume you mean 42" wood? I would say yes to that. You're not gonna be able to run an 8-pin or lean on it, but it would cut no problem.

That pic is with a 36" in oak with full comp square Stihl chain.

husky:
it's not like you are going in to logging right?
if you take your time you can cut down a 4 foot tree with a wildthing running a 20" bar.:dizzy:

if you intend to use it on the occasional tree i don't see the harm in running a 36-48" bar on your saw. just be smart about it:)

volk the big bar is just for the occasional rare HUGE tree i find time to time. 36 is prolly as big as ill go. well unless i find a deal on a bigger one then ill go skip chain aswell. the saw will wear the 25 most of the time.

i know all too well you can kill a big tree with a small saw. you saw what i did with my 455 last summer right?

one tree job im doing now has a few oaks and pines that have 066 written on them. when i drop that pine its gonna be the biggest tree i ever felled personally. theres quite a few real nice oaks in the back yard too. lots of firewood in those badboys.

I think you're getting a little carried away with bar length.:popcorn: Even with 25", my 066 is unbalanced. Put a 36" on it and you don't want to try to carry it around. I have a 36", but have only used it on the mill. I'm thinking 8 pin and 20".:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I did mill dry oak up to 30" wide, but was using Stihl full skip, on the 36" bar.

I think you're getting a little carried away with bar length.:popcorn: Even with 25", my 066 is unbalanced. Put a 36" on it and you don't want to try to carry it around. I have a 36", but have only used it on the mill. I'm thinking 8 pin and 20".:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I did mill dry oak up to 30" wide, but was using Stihl full skip, on the 36" bar.

Balance? Nonsense! There is no such thing on any rear handle saw. The saw bar and chain should be appropriate for the job.

BTW my 660 has a 36" bar and the 394 has a 42" bar. I can carry either saw as far as I need to. That means several miles sometimes.

husky:
it's not like you are going in to logging right?
if you take your time you can cut down a 4 foot tree with a wildthing running a 20" bar.:dizzy:

if you intend to use it on the occasional tree i don't see the harm in running a 36-48" bar on your saw. just be smart about it:)

they are 18'' but it gets the point across

I'm thinking 8 pin and 20".:chainsaw:

That's what the 372 is for. It wears an 18" bar and 8 pin. Heck, it'll run a 28 with that 8 pin if you don't lean on it too hard. I'd like the 066 to pull a 36" bar with an 8 pin and full comp.

Where's that crack pipe. I put it down here somewhere. :dizzy: :)

Ian

Last edited:
Balance? Nonsense! There is no such thing on any rear handle saw. The saw bar and chain should be appropriate for the job.

BTW my 660 has a 36" bar and the 394 has a 42" bar. I can carry either saw as far as I need to. That means several miles sometimes.

LOL! I get a kick out that "balance" stuff, too. When I have it up on my shoulder packing in or out the 660/36 balances just fine. Falling and bucking I don't notice anything about balance. If it's a little nose heavy that just helps when you're walking down the tree limbing.:)

Balance? LOLOLOL It''s supposed to be nose heavy, and resting on the wood:greenchainsaw:

LOL! I get a kick out that "balance" stuff, too. When I have it up on my shoulder packing in or out the 660/36 balances just fine. Falling and bucking I don't notice anything about balance. If it's a little nose heavy that just helps when you're walking down the tree limbing.:)
Im gonna get one of the biggest saws made so I can put a bar from a 60cc saw on it. Short bars give me a cramp in my elbow when I shoulder carry.

ok i got a 066 comming in the mail. its coming with a 25" bar on it already. i need a big bar for those pesky 4ft trees lol. i wanna be the guy that can take the wood other guys have to turn down cuse they dont have enough saw. i was thinking maybe 32 or 36. what suits the 066 best? also so i go with skip chain aswell?
i will be buying from baileys so id like to get loops of chain also.

oh the saw has 150lbs of compression and a dp muffler :)

36"

I've run 36" with a sharp full comp chain with no issues. A 42" buried in oak and walnut with no issues, you just can't force it, but it will chew through the log pretty fast. 42" with skip is fine, but I'd rather lug a saw with a 36 given my druthers. Love that saw with a 24" bar, explosive.

Mark

Back