stihl 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willsaw, that brings up a good question...what type of oil SHOULD I be running in my new 361?....(hee hee hee):hmm3grin2orange:

It doesn't matter, the 361 will purify and environmentalize ANY kind of oil put in it, any sling will actually fertilize the area and reverse damage from forest fires and superfund cleanup sites... AND it will smell like sweet, sweet roses:) :)

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, the 361 will purify and environmentalize ANY kind of oil put in it, any sling will actually fertilize the area and reverse damage from forest fires and superfund cleanup sites... AND it will smell like sweet, sweet roses:) :)

A bit exaggerated maybe, but it sure is fuel effective......:yourock:

I'm going to have to try it this weekend, but I hear if I set the new 361 that is supposed to follow me home this weekend next to my one of my old nonworking saws it will heal it.

I hear the 361 runs better on Amsoil Saber with the 28" bar, but better on the Ultra with the 20" bar. I understand it doesn't even need oil with a 25"... Is this correct?

:sucks:

Actually, if you run a cannon 24" bar with a 5 pin sprocket, it actually produces gas and oil. You have to empty the tanks every so often. The Saudi's learned this early on, somehow patented the process and here we sit, feeding our cars and trucks with 361 "poop" for lack of a better word.

Ian

Last edited:
alright firstly i am a PAIUTE so lets keep the stereotypes out thank you . but it is a stihl ms 390 and i had a 20'' oregon bar and chain . then i switched it to a stihl rollomatic 28'' half skip. we did adjust the carb to a 28'' bar. but i put the new bar and chain straight out of the packaging and tried to go cut cottonwood it just ended up making me mad cuz it kept bogging down really easily and i dont think with my goofy little harbor freight grinder is making it sharper than factory sharpening.

alright firstly i am a PAIUTE so lets keep the stereotypes out thank you . but it is a stihl ms 390 and i had a 20'' oregon bar and chain . then i switched it to a stihl rollomatic 28'' half skip. we did adjust the carb to a 28'' bar. but i put the new bar and chain straight out of the packaging and tried to go cut cottonwood it just ended up making me mad cuz it kept bogging down really easily and i dont think with my goofy little harbor freight grinder is making it sharper than factory sharpening.

A brand new chain out of the box is actually quite dull.

Man, the holidays sure brings out the loonies.

Well, oregon chain is not that great, especially compared to Stihl chain. Same with their bars, in my view. The 361 has about the same HP as a 390. The 361 runs with far less vibration, is lighter and uses less gas. Also easier to work on, it will last longer, has more metal and pro parts, like a rim sprocket, metal sprocket cover, better plsatic in the handle, etc. Lots of little stuff make a huge difference.

I think that your 390 saw with a sharp Stihl 20 inch chain should run great. Try it with a 20 inch Stihl full comp chain. The 28 inch bar with full skip will run OK, half skip is pushing it. However, even with the 390 oil pump turned up full, it will not quite keep a 28 inch bar lubed well enough.

I have a 290, the baby brother of the 390, and I also have two 361s. I run the 290 with a 20 inch bar (Stihl E bar with Stihl RM chain). It cuts good. The 390 should cut better with that size bar. If you want a saw that runs great and you can run for a long time with less effort and fatigue, the 361 is the way to go. If you just need to cut a few trees and use the saw for an hour here and a few hours there, then stick with the 390 and get some better 20 inch saw chains.

I also run Stihl chains straight from the shop. They are pretty sharp from the factory. Though I run RM chain, semi-chisel. I also tone them down to 30 degrees, and they hold an edge in the crud and grit in slash piles, bucking and thinning trees.

Last edited:

Adjusted the saw to the 28 inch bar??.. Hmmm... there is only one correct mixture, no matter the reasonable bar length... If it was correct for the 20, then you leaned it for the 28...

Injun Joe.....hmmmm, no stereotype there....

Back