Stihl dealer of Shame

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So my buddy was at our local A-hole Stihl dealer this morning to get a chain, and a guy came in with a nice Jonsered 520SP, wanting to trade it in for a new Stihl. The dealership only gave him $35 for that saw! Seriously, what the heck is up with that! That place freaking sucks! If someone was buying a new saw from me and their trade was decent it should be worth at least $50 or $60, especially if I was trying to close the deal on a $400 saw.

And people wonder why I hate Stihl so much....

I have a few dealers in this area that dont take trades....My Husky dealer charges full msrp on saws so I guess he sucks .....

People want to trade saws in most cases for a reason......Why didn't you offer the guy 100.00 if the saw was so great......

Last edited:
The local dealer here won't take trades because he says that he can't pay what they are worth and recommends that you sell them yourself and get the extra money.

I wasn't actually there, my friend told me about it, and with this dealer I would beleive it. If they're going to take trades in the least they could do is offer a decent price for it, otherwise just tell the guy to keep it.

This is the same dealer that sold an older guy a $500 Toro snow blower and didn't even help him load it onto his truck!

I am never spending my money there, not one cent!

I wasn't actually there, my friend told me about it, and with this dealer I would beleive it. If they're going to take trades in the least they could do is offer a decent price for it, otherwise just tell the guy to keep it.

This is the same dealer that sold an older guy a $500 Toro snow blower and didn't even help him load it onto his truck!

I am never spending my money there, not one cent!

If the guy took the 35.00 thats his option......Just because you think its worth more some dealers consider all trades as parts saws.......

Besides most dealer will give more on trade for brands they sell........

By that logic you could take a nice, well maintained Chevy truck to a Ford dealer and he offers you like $500 for it! Ridiculous.

And yes, my Husky dealer offers reasonable trade in values on any saw that is decent.

If the original owner took the 35.00 on the Jred in on a 400.00 saw, in my opinion, he's not smart enough to own a 400.00$ saw. Did he take the trade in offer??

My Husky dealer once offered me 70% of whay I paid for it new on my 353G, if I traded it in for a 359 - but I had the 361, and didn't want a 359.

The 353 was more than three years old at that time, but he knew it had been taken good care of.......

ok...so what if the stihl dealer needs a part for the J-red????? they have to go to another dealer to get the part(inconvience) and now they have a saw on their floor that they are not familiar with and will most likely be expected to repair when the need arises because that is where the saw was purchased..

a dealer taking in a saw that isn't what they deal would be more of a pain than a good thing

and how do you expect a dealer to offer a trade in value for what the saw wholeheartedly worth and then sell it for what it is worth and make a profit? if they did that they would just be making their money back as the saw took up space and time..

it is the same with everything.. your just about better off to sell something outright than to trade it in

AOD go play in traffic, or as i said before learn to juggle your "wonderful" 575 with its rocked out chain

Last edited:
If the original owner took the 35.00 on the Jred in on a 400.00 saw, in my opinion, he's not smart enough to own a 400.00$ saw. Did he take the trade in offer??

Yeah, more than likely after the sales guy told him his saw wasn't really worth fixing, I don't know but that dealer is not above crap like that. Sickens me, Stihl has a freaking monopoly here.

a guy came in with a nice Jonsered 520SP, wanting to trade it in for a new Stihl. If someone was buying a new saw from me and their trade was decent it should be worth at least $50 or $60, especially if I was trying to close the deal on a $400 saw.

Yeah, more than likely after the sales guy told him his saw wasn't really worth fixing.

So first it is a nice saw...and now it needs fixing...the truth will set you free...that STIHL dealer sure will have a PITA gets parts for the JONSERED saw that they have at their STIHL dealer!

how much is a 520SP j-red worth anyway? now what is it worth as a parts saw? and as a parts trade in?

So if someone took a Jonsered to a Chevy dealer for trade on a new pickup, and the Chevy dealer said "Sorry we do not deal in chainsaws, but I would give ya $35 for it", he would be a jerk too?

Mostly a collectors item - not much....

So this thing is a 25 year old clunker than needs parts? and is being traded in on a brand new saw and the guy still got offered $35 for it????? and somebody is b*tching and moaning about it? i gotta go put crank bearings in a 575(honestly)..i don't have time for this madness

isn't there an ignore feature on this site somewhere where we can block people's posts?

Last edited:
Back