Stihl dealer wouldn't sell me an MS 200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something similar happened to me a few months ago, except it was a Husky 346XP. Told the dealer that I would take it, and he talked me out of it. Said it was not for an occasional user, and tried to steer me towards a lesser line. Being it was closing time, I left empty handed, and went to a nearby Stihl dealer, and ended up with an MS 260. It's been a great little saw, but I would have liked to run that Husky.

Now (thanks to you guys) I have a new Husky 372XP, which is like crack cocaine to an addict.

That's bonkers.:dizzy: I'd love to have a 200T or the rear handle version myself but I picked the 211 and can say it is a very nice saw. Either way, find another dealer...

He** with that dealer.....

If you are paying cash and even willing to pay for the saw up front - he should have ordered you a saw.

We order saws we don't stock all the time - especially when they are prepaid.

I can only imagine how he would deal with a "warranty" issue.

Find another dealer.

He's an idiot. You came in wanting a certain saw, and he went further than just suggesting something else. Frankly, it's none of his got damned business what you want to use it for. You need to buy the saw somewhere else, and then take it to his place and show it off in front of him. I also find it highly unlikely that he has to wait until next week to order. That's unreasonable.

Yep I agree 100%. I work for a Stihl dealer, and I would order that baby for the same day.

that guy is a fool you ofered to pay up front and he would not order it thats nuts. i sure the next stihl shop would be more than happy to order it for you. please tell us how it works out. I know if i ran a shop and you came in with cash i would get you anything you wanted. With me money talks all the time:cool:

I have ran the 020t and you are right they are a nice saw

I would have ordered the saw post haste for you. As has been said, unless it is clear the customer is getting in over his head, I will give him what he wants which is not necessarily what I have on the floor.
Several years ago, I had an amputee looking for a saw, his left arm ended above the wrist. He said he had a prosthesis but preferred not to use it. He demonstrated how he would hold the saw which was awkward and downright dangerous plus he had no means to operate the chain brake. He wanted a discount off the sale price on our entry saw, an MS170, and left without buying. I was relieved but would not have refused him.

The guys an idiot

It not like you had no experience and wanted an MS880.

Use the dealer locate and find another dealer, should be one fairly close.

Don't give up on the Stihl because of one brainless dealer.

Thinking about this further, go back and say you wanna buy an MS 660!!! :greenchainsaw:

I am definitely an occasional user, and not a brute either. One dealer ordered in a MS 460, and another sold me a 660 off the shelf.

The 200 is a small saw, very light. Fun to use, doesn't tire you out. That dealer is a doofus of the first order. Doofus, I say.

The 211 is supposed to be a real nice saw, though.

OP, I think it is cool that you want to get a 200 with your discretionary income. I like that a lot. Yer all right is my book, and welcome to AS!! :clap:

Somethings not right, the dealer was saying go for a 211 or 171, I'd agree, if not wanting a TH saw, the 211 would be the ticket, even an old 021 matches a 200T, I can't see the point of the rear handle 200 unless you're really needing a tiny compact saw, a 211 must surely be an improvement over the 021. The guy said think about it over the weekend and then see, doesn't sound like a money-grubbing shark, lots will say what a loser, but maybe this dealer's kosher

find another dealer.

he is a fool.that rear handle 200 is a sweet little saw.pwer to weight is unreal.you won't regret spending the money once you use it.the saw was a smart move by Stihl.too bad price hurts sales.

i figure if a guy comes in and knows exactly what he wants,sell it to him.dealer has no right to refuse one model from another.i would never darken his door again.

Dealer is probably not an idiot

Especially if he's got Kubota. They weeded out a lot of the jerks carrying their product years ago.

I'd be willing to bet a Dunkin Donuts coffee and Boston Creme doughnut that he's on credit hold with Stihl like a lot of dealers, and can only move what they have in stock until they square up their account.

Food for thought.

Take Care

I had an amputee looking for a saw, his left arm ended above the wrist. He said he had a prosthesis but preferred not to use it. He demonstrated how he would hold the saw which was awkward and downright dangerous plus he had no means to operate the chain brake. He wanted a discount off the sale price on our entry saw, an MS170, and left without buying. I was relieved but would not have refused him.

C'mon, Jay Browning just wanted something small and lightweight.

Go to another dealer and get what you want! I think that person was honest in that he was trying to put you into a saw for less $, but that was not the saw you wanted.He should have told you your options, and let you choose what you wanted. He could have closed the sale by saying said, "the A, B and C (ms200 rear handle) saws will all get the job done for what you are doing. Which one would you like? SALE CLOSED!

Rule number 1 in Sales. Give the customer what they want, if they are asking for a specific item

Rule number 2, Listen to what your customer is telling you. You can advise the best solution to their problem, but you will not be able to change their mind if they are dead-set on what they want.

Most of the time, People buy for emotional reasons rather then practical ones.

Blood was 100% dead on in his post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to hijack this thread, but here is a perfect example of Poor Sales ability.
My friend just purchased 5 acre wooded lot and a home he needed a chain saw. He looked on line and was set on a stihl 390. I told him about the 361 for $150 more or he could save the $ and buy chaps a helmet ect. He was set on the Stihl 390 with a 20" bar for $479.

So we go saw shopping. He has $700 cash in his pocket in case he decides on the 361. We go to 3 Stihl dealers. Not one dealer asked if they could help us! It was 3:00p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, so it was not busy at any of the dealer ships. We were the only people in each of the stores at the time.

I was stunned. I even went up to the counter at one dealership and said, "my friend wants to buy a saw can. Can you tell me the difference between the 390 and 360?" Now I know all the answers because I am a AS saw freak. The guy says, "yeah the 390 has nome cc's." I was appalled in the way we were treated by all three of these dealers. I was tempted to call each of the dealers, ask for the owner, and tell them each they just lost a $700 sale because their staff is lazy, and they are not customer focused. T

All three dealers did not even have the courtesy to say, "Hi, can I help you find something" when we walked through the door. The dealers were all in CT. : East haven, Branford and NorthHaven.

After a frustrating day we were both disgusted. I told him to stop by the True Value 3min from his house on his way home, since they carry and service Huskys and are nice people. I told him to look at he 445,450, 455 and 460. I told my pal to buy a 45-50cc saw to start out with, and if he needed a biger saw I would be happy to come over and cut up whatever he needed.

He ended up purchasing a Husky 450 Anniversary model. They guy who sold him the saw went over everything about the saw with him, and showed him how to sharpen the chain too. Also tossed in a Hat, Bag, and a few files. He walked out the door spending $399. He is Happy, and has a saw he likes that suits his needs.

Sorry for my Rant.

Go to another dealer and get what you want! I think that person was honest in that he was trying to put you into a saw for less $, but that was not the saw you wanted.He should have told you your options, and let you choose what you wanted. He could have closed the sale by saying said, "the A, B and C (ms200 rear handle) saws will all get the job done for what you are doing. Which one would you like? SALE CLOSED!

Rule number 1 in Sales. Give the customer what they want, if they are asking for a specific item

Rule number 2, Listen to what your customer is telling you. You can advise the best solution to their problem, but you will not be able to change their mind if they are dead-set on what they want.

Most of the time, People buy for emotional reasons rather then practical ones.

Blood was 100% dead on in his post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to hijack this thread, but here is a perfect example of Poor Sales ability.
My friend just purchased 5 acre wooded lot and a home he needed a chain saw. He looked on line and was set on a stihl 390. I told him about the 361 for $150 more or he could save the $ and buy chaps a helmet ect. He was set on the Stihl 390 with a 20" bar for $479.

So we go saw shopping. He has $700 cash in his pocket in case he decides on the 361. We go to 3 Stihl dealers. Not one dealer asked if they could help us! It was 3:00p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, so it was not busy at any of the dealer ships. We were the only people in each of the stores at the time.

I was stunned. I even went up to the counter at one dealership and said, "my friend wants to buy a saw can. Can you tell me the difference between the 390 and 360?" Now I know all the answers because I am a AS saw freak. The guy says, "yeah the 390 has nome cc's." I was appalled in the way we were treated by all three of these dealers. I was tempted to call each of the dealers, ask for the owner, and tell them each they just lost a $700 sale because their staff is lazy, and they are not customer focused. T

All three dealers did not even have the courtesy to say, "Hi, can I help you find something" when we walked through the door. The dealers were all in CT. : East haven, Branford and NorthHaven.

After a frustrating day we were both disgusted. I told him to stop by the True Value 3min from his house on his way home, since they carry and service Huskys and are nice people. I told him to look at he 445,450, 455 and 460. I told my pal to buy a 45-50cc saw to start out with, and if he needed a biger saw I would be happy to come over and cut up whatever he needed.

He ended up purchasing a Husky 450 Anniversary model. They guy who sold him the saw went over everything about the saw with him, and showed him how to sharpen the chain too. Also tossed in a Hat, Bag, and a few files. He walked out the door spending $399. He is Happy, and has a saw he likes that suits his needs.

Sorry for my Rant.

Happy Jack,

You and your Happy friend related?

ole joat

Last edited:
He is one of my best friends. I have known him for 30 years.
So what are you getting at?

I was a FFL for years and Happy Jacks rule number 2 is spot on. I listened, asked questions and made recomendations. Some listened and were happy, some bought what they wanted and were still happy.

Sounds like OP made a good decision on what he wanted and dealer was dead set that the buyer was wrong.

Happy,
You captilized the "H" like it is a proper name like yours... :)

2Door

Dealer is probably not an idiot

Especially if he's got Kubota. They weeded out a lot of the jerks carrying their product years ago.

I'd be willing to bet a Dunkin Donuts coffee and Boston Creme doughnut that he's on credit hold with Stihl like a lot of dealers, and can only move what they have in stock until they square up their account.

Food for thought.

Take Care

This makes sense to me, but what do I know?

The amazing MS200 rear handle is an amazing little saw.

The above message is brought to you courtesy of the courteous folks at the
Department of Redundancy Department. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back