Stihl / Echo worth money over Poulan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention the pricing..

Stihl MS650 Mag- 32" bar, Half wrap- $929.95 + TAX.

Echo CS-8000- 32" bar, Half wrap- 819.99 + TAX

Little over $100 dollar difference for 2 saws whose specs nearly mirror each other.

Well,I suppose it depends on how much a person would actually use a saw as to how much money to invest in one.

As usual there are a certain factor of people that chime in and say just buy an MS 660 Stihl and be done with it,nonsense.For what the guy wants to do,a better grade of Echo or Poulan would work just as well and be a darned sight cheaper.

I have mostly old Macs,a few Homelites a few Stihls and several Poulans.The little Poulans work quite well,thank you much.Fact is I just recently did a port job on a 2800 Poulan,you might be a little surprised that it's possible to make a wildcat from a little kitten,with a little coaxing.

This is not to say that Echos or Poulans are of the same quality as Stihl,Husqvarna or Dolmar but they do serve a certain market very well .On the same lines,my 18 HP Huskee mower does just as well as somebodys fancy green,high priced John Deere although I didn't spend 5 grand to buy it.Well,I suppose bragging rights come with a price too.:deadhorse:

A poulan will definately work, but plan on buying 20-30 of them to get those 50-60 trees down. Add a few more if you want to cut stovelengths. Stihl, Husky and Echo are all hands down better than a wild thingy. How do you want to run?
Poulan---Pinto
Echo---turbocharged Honda
Stihl/Husky/Jonsered---top fuel dragster

Dolmar---SR71 Blackbird

Thank you for your time.

Howdy all.....
My name is Red, and I am a crapaholic.
You see it first started way back in the day when someone gave me my first mini mac.
I mean I only had to tear that thing down fourteen or so times to get it purring like a kitten.
Then I found me some Homies. Nah, not that kind. You know the ones that people leave by the dumpster hoping someone will come along and save them. And save them I did. I went to the Corvette forum and asked if anyone had a Homie and you would not believe the response that I got. But again it was the wrong kind.
The best saw that was ever given to me is my Echo. My I am proud of that one. She is so light from all the damn plastic on her, and so smooth because she lacks the power to make any vibrations but I just love her.
Now I can't remember if I ever paid the guy who brought it in for me to fix or not. But she's all mine.

See Red, I do know who you are and about all the crap you spew on here.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Just ignore mow--he's got little man syndrome. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have run all the saws a decent amount. I have a 046 with a 36inch bar. I think it's a great saw. I have had no trouble with it. It doesn;t have a lot of time on it. I only use it when i need a bar that big. I would have bought a bigger saw to turn that bar but I bought this off a friend that bought it new. He used it to drop 2 big maples. I paid $500 for it with 2 spare chains. I had a 029 that last almost forever. I liked the saw but the on off switch really pissed me off after having the dealer install 4 of them I finally said screw it I'll just choke it to kill it. I thought this was a really crappy design. I had a 026pro that started and ran all the time. It was a die hard saw. I thought that it lacked power and cut slow but it was always there ready to run.

I have a Husky 359 saw is very nice runs good happy with everything so far. I just bought a 346xp about a month ago to replace my 026 pro. I wish i would have bought this saw long ago. It blows the Stihl away (the one I had at least).

I also had a Echo cs6700. I liked that saw a lot but I used it with a 20inch bar. It was set up with simple switches and always started easy. The Echo has a very easy to clean air filter also. I didn't like the saw dogs on it at all. They were way to small. This saw lasted a long time. I messed it up by adjusting the carb wrong. The first day i had it i went through 3 gallon of fuel. I used to saw to clear hundreds of trees and it always worked great. It was a little heavy for the power though. But it's a cheap bigger saw. You can get the for right around $400 shipped. That's a good price for that size of a saw that runs good and has simple switches. I have a cs520. That saw is ok starts and runs all the time but it lacks power. I have 2 top handle cs301s These saws always start and always run even through extreme abuse. But they are under powered and slow. I like my 020T a lot more it's heads and tails above the echos. But they were $135 new in the box shipped.

I think Echo is a great choice for a homeowner that wants to cut some wood and wants a simple saw that will always start up and run. The Stihls and Huskys will cut a little faster but the Echo will get the job done a little cheaper. Echo is a great option for it's intended market. They can take a lot of abuse. I'm really hard on saw. I don;t pay attention o the filters and I rev the cold and turn them off hot. I let them idle for long periods of time. Saws are just to cheap t worry about all the little stuff.

Scott

Back