Stihl / Echo worth money over Poulan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red, the truth is it's watching echos sneaky underhanded and untruthful claims of commercial grade quality catching unsuspecting people unaware that pisses me and others off, - far more than just the poor ole chainsaw itself... half price commercial grade chainsaws are a con.. I'll shut up now:sucks:

Thankfully, those of us that own and use them know better.

So basically what you are saying is that if Echo charged more for their saws, then they would be held in a high regard?

Ya know how when KIA came on the scene about a Decade ago, people laughed and poked fun at the cheap reliable transportation that offered amazing warranty's and umbelievable fuel mileage?

Kia is steadily growing to be a true powerhouse i nthe automotive market, EVERY YEAR.

CHEAPER machinery with good quality has a tendency to float to the top, above overpriced machinery. It just takes a long time for people to realize that Expensive does NOT always equal better.

"So basically what you are saying is that if Echo charged more for their saws, then they would be held in a high regard?"

'fraid not...

Only 1 new poulan I know of and it is of the old discontinued design from what I am hearing before the EPA muffler stuff. The 330 I last looked at still had the 2 piece muffler that you could open and just pull baffle out or to cut out the small tube to exhaust port. Has fully adjustable carb after pulling the limiters with needle nose pliers also.
I owned them and never new of plastic (resin) cased saws till I came here. I may have bought stock older poulans at one time for my homeowner use 3750,330,305,2000,1800, and a XX but at least they had magnesium cases and bolt on cylinders and not the plastic cased clam shell crap. Bought one 220 plastic cased poulan out of curiosity and it turned out to be a very good dependable working saw for a 38cc saw. No complaints whatsoever.
Just look at the bottom of a chainsaw you think is plastic cased and look for the 4 bolts going through the bottom holding the clam shell cylinder around the crank and pulling it all together as one if you cant tell Magnesium from plastic (resin) cased.
Hope this helped or answered your question.

Question answered...thanks.

Kevin

Homeowner starter kit. ;)
CopyofDSCF0011-1.jpg

XX,2000,220,305,330,3750 all stock and magnesium cased (EXCEPT FOR THE 220). The XX was replaced with a 1800, liked the design better having owned the 2000 since 94. 220 was just a curiosity saw and didn't really need it and sold after alot of good use from it. Replaced the 305 with partner 5000, but feel stock the 305 is the better saw of the 2, just the 5000 takes to being modified for woods racing better.
The 330 was just a extra that was sold and the 3750 was replaced by a woods ported 357. If I was going to run stock saws for homeowner use I would have had no problem using and keeping any of those.
The new poulan stuff is not up to par IMO, except the 330.

Last edited:
Unlike some closeminded people, I like all saws. I dont allow myself to be tied down by a single brand.

I like my Homies, Poulans, MAC's, Echo, The remington is just nifty...Its all good.

Just because I didnt pay 1500 dollars apeice for them, doesnt make them worthless.

Dude, you're on the same page as me! Some of the guys here think you have to buy what they consider the best thing available just to get the job done, but that's crap. My motto is buy what you can afford and make it happen. Awhile back I bought a Husky 455 Rancher and have dropped 20+ trees in the last 3 months and the engine is barely broken in. Now all I'll use it for is storm cleanup or a little bit of thinning and I know it'll be there to handle whatever whenever and it didn't break the bank. Opinions are like buttholes, too bad some people have more than one craphole. Later!

Opinions are like buttholes, too bad some people have more than one craphole. Later!

I usually think of as they usually both stink and tend to be unpleasant, so why even worry about 'em. But, occasionally, something useful may come forth (fertilize or maybe some wisdom).

Dan

Dude, you're on the same page as me! Some of the guys here think you have to buy what they consider the best thing available just to get the job done, but that's crap. My motto is buy what you can afford and make it happen. Awhile back I bought a Husky 455 Rancher and have dropped 20+ trees in the last 3 months and the engine is barely broken in. Now all I'll use it for is storm cleanup or a little bit of thinning and I know it'll be there to handle whatever whenever and it didn't break the bank. Opinions are like buttholes, too bad some people have more than one craphole. Later!

Great post! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...too bad there is no "insert sarcasm here" button.

Gary

Homeowner starter kit. ;) XX,2000,220,305,330,3750 all stock and magnesium cased (EXCEPT FOR THE 220). The XX was replaced with a 1800, liked the design better having owned the 2000 since 94. 220 was just a curiosity saw and didn't really need it and sold after alot of good use from it. Replaced the 305 with partner 5000, but feel stock the 305 is the better saw of the 2, just the 5000 takes to being modified for woods racing better.
The 330 was just a extra that was sold and the 3750 was replaced by a woods ported 357. If I was going to run stock saws for homeowner use I would have had no problem using and keeping any of those.
The new poulan stuff is not up to par IMO, except the 330.

The Wright 111 in my signature is supposed to be based on the Poulan 20 (XX). So after I get the 044 done, the 111 is next, and I might bug ya for some info...

Kevin

I do have a little Echo CS-346.

It does not get the life of luxury. Starts very easily, gets shut down hot and reved up cold and has never let me down. No vibes, but it's a pretty small saw to be kicking over any seismometers. Is it the same class as the Husky and Stihl pro saws I have run?... No. Dependable?... Yep.

Just my 1/4 cent worth.

Last edited:
I do have a little Echo CS-346.

It does not get the life of luxury. Starts very easily, gets shut down hot and reved up cold and has never let me down. No vibes, but it's a pretty small saw to be kicking over any seismometers. Is it the same class as the Husky and Stihl pro saws I have run?... No. Dependable?... Yep.

Just my 1/4 cent worth.

Same here on the 346.........

The Wright 111 in my signature is supposed to be based on the Poulan 20 (XX). So after I get the 044 done, the 111 is next, and I might bug ya for some info...

Kevin

I didnt know about the wright 111, so I guess I learned something today. Thanks.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...f9bef8feb54dac8988256b540014dd53?OpenDocument

scottr, can lead the way in that 111 = XX department. He help me with my rebuild of the XX in the pic come back from the grave of a non-runner.

I also gave away a XX parts saw and carb kit already and dont think there is anything left.

Opinions are like buttholes, too bad some people have more than one craphole. Later!

Look, echos, poulans, macs and their like are fine for homeowner/casual use, that's what they're made for. They do the job, end of story. Of course you don't NEED to spend big bucks on stihls or huskys, but claiming echos and their like are good as professional work saws, well, come on! that's wet behind the ears B.S.!!

I didnt know about the wright 111, so I guess I learned something today. Thanks.

You're welcome.

scottr, can lead the way in that 111 = XX department. He help me with my rebuild of the XX in the pic come back from the grave of a non-runner.

I also gave away a XX parts saw and carb kit already and dont think there is anything left.

I got my 111 from a friend as a non-runner. I found and bought a non-running 111 off of ebay with some parts I need for mine. Between the 2, I should be able to get one going. Thanks for the heads up on scottr being the man to talk to about my rebuild.

Kevin

Look, echos, poulans, macs and their like are fine for homeowner/casual use, that's what they're made for. They do the job, end of story. Of course you don't NEED to spend big bucks on stihls or huskys, but claiming echos and their like are good as professional work saws, well, come on! that's wet behind the ears B.S.!!

Stihls and Huskies have their place. If you need to pull a 5+ foot bar or operate a Mill, yes, go with a Big CID Stihl or Husky.

But the models with Comparable displacement are just as comparable.

For instance.

STIHL MS650 Magnum

85cc
16.5lbs (no bar/chain
27.9oz fuel capacity
12.2oz chain oil capacity
16-36" bar reccomendation

MS650.gif

-----------
Echo CS-8000, Their Largest saw.

80.7 cc
Fuel capacity 28.9oz
Oil capacity 14.1oz
20-36" Bar reccomendations

CS8000-1.jpg

----
WARRANTY

STIHL-
Homeowner use- 1year
Commercial/professional use 90-days

ECHO-
Homeowner use- 5 years
Commercial/professional use- 1 year
RENTAL- 90days

Actually, it appears that ECHO is willing to stand behind their saws for longer than STIHL will...

Last edited:
Hey Sawgod............Just Mow..............we get the point!!!

In your humble opinion Echos are $hit!!!

Let us who don't know $hit from Shinola enjoy our Echo chat!!!

I'm sure you can find some other brand to pick on!!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

Nah, I'll keep picking on the crap,aka Echo. After all the thread was about Echo and Stihl.:taped:

Stihls and Huskies have their place. If you need to pull a 5+ foot bar or operate a Mill, yes, go with a Big CID Stihl or Husky.

But the models with Comparable displacement are just as comparable.

For instance.

STIHL MS650 Magnum

85cc
16.5lbs (no bar/chain
27.9oz fuel capacity
12.2oz chain oil capacity
16-36" bar reccomendation

MS650.gif

-----------
Echo CS-8000, Their Largest saw.

80.7 cc
Fuel capacity 28.9oz
Oil capacity 14.1oz
20-36" Bar reccomendations

CS8000-1.jpg

----
WARRANTY

STIHL-
Homeowner use- 1year
Commercial/professional use 90-days

ECHO-
Homeowner use- 5 years
Commercial/professional use- 1 year
RENTAL- 90days

Actually, it appears that ECHO is willing to stand behind their saws for longer than STIHL will...

Red, run the two and you will see that there is a huge difference.
As for the Echo 5 year warranty. Hell if your saws don't sell then I guess you need to try some kind of marketing. It still doesn't work. More than likely Home Depot trlling Echo that they need to be different from Lowes so then this warranty comes out.
Learn about saws before you go spouting from the mouth corvette boy.

Red, run the two and you will see that there is a huge difference.
As for the Echo 5 year warranty. Hell if your saws don't sell then I guess you need to try some kind of marketing. It still doesn't work. More than likely Home Depot trlling Echo that they need to be different from Lowes so then this warranty comes out.
Learn about saws before you go spouting from the mouth corvette boy.

wow...thats the best you can come up with after I did all that footwork?

Echo offers a warranty many times better than STIHL, and the best you can do is try and act like its a BAD thing? like its a marketing ploy? Wow..man, thats lame.

Back