Stihl Farm Boss ms 290....thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLumberJack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was offered this saw for $250. It has 10 hours on it and is for all purposes brand new.

I'm seriously considering it but just don't know enough about it.

Anyone???

I will be using for LOTS (~200 cords before November) of cutting.

That's a bunch of cutting but I have seen 290s do it. For $250, that would be hard to pass up. Even if you don't like it, you could get your money back from fleabay.

any thoughts other than it may survive??

it is lots of cutting...more than i anticipated by about double due to receiving a commercial job for 100 cords.

I've seen them take a beating no junk from blowes or wally world could take but 200 cords is a bunch. For the profit you will be making off that much wood, I'd say go for a 361, if your current budget can handle that. Clean 290s sell for crazy prices on fleabay.

I've seen them take a beating no junk from blowes or wally world could take but 200 cords is a bunch. For the profit you will be making off that much wood, I'd say go for a 361, if your current budget can handle that. Clean 290s sell for crazy prices on fleabay.

I bought a 460 last year that I baby. I could use that but I am viewing this spur of the moment Farm Boss opportunity as a saw that I could pretty much use as a beat for 2009. If it makes it to December I will be happy.

Adding a 361 would be nice but it's not exactly in the budget....nothing really is if you know what I mean!

Thanks for the advice:cheers:

Go with the 290 then, that is one tough homeowner saw. Keep the chain sharp and air filter clean and it should serve you well.

MS460's are not made to be babied... put that sucker in some wood. Problem solved. You won't need an MS290.

Babying a 460 is like when guys buy 60's and 70's musclecars and store them in the garage for an "investment"...

Gary

MS460's are not made to be babied... put that sucker in some wood. Problem solved. You won't need an MS290.

It's just so hard to use it though....it was the same price as my first car!!!

And as far as keeping it clean.....i jsut got flash backs to the 4 hours i spent sunday cleaning about 12 saws....gotta love the air compressor but man was i covered with oily gunk after...

Last edited:
460's don't need rest mang! That is a brute of a saw for any type of wood... Saws aren't built to be shiny and new their entire life... Bury that SOB in some wood...

Or sell it to me, so I can... I might be able to scare up a 290 for ya to take in part trade...

Gary

i am a supporter of the 290/310/390 series which is a durable and reasonably light saw. i think that for the average home owner cutting wood too much is made of weight and vibration, and the importance of the whole ease-of-rebuild-and-service issue is over emphasized. however, for 2000 cords i think a pro model saw is needed for each of the above reasons.

460's don't need rest mang! That is a brute of a saw for any type of wood... Saws aren't built to be shiny and new their entire life... Bury that SOB in some wood...

Or sell it to me, so I can... I might be able to scare up a 290 for ya to take in part trade...

Gary

I understand they are meant to be used... he already said he babied it so I thought he might want to use it some but have another one one hand to rest it.....

I know mang... I just will never understand why someone would drop that kind of coin on an awesome saw, and not use it to it's full potential... :)

Gary

I don't understand why anyone would cut 200 cords of wood with a homeowner saw when they have a proper tool. This dude needs his butt kicked hard!

here's the idea, which i already stated....

Spend $250 tomorrow on a saw to use for the rest of the year making firewood and then sell it before xmas for half of that.

Then, when next season 2010 comes around i have a shiny 460 for whatever i please to do with and that won't include 200 cords of firewood, which I also already stated is an atypically large year of production for me.

also, to clarify and define 'baby'...I use the 460 plenty...mainly for felling. babying it just means i don't treat it like the echo I was given for free.

thanks for the advice though...since I haven't heard any gross negatives i think i'll buy it

Latest posts

Back