Stihl Farm Boss ms 290....thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your time and your physical health must not be worth much to you if you're going to forego using a proper tool for the job. I believe that's called ounce wise and pound foolish, or some such thing.

I agree with Rexy... you are spending 250 bucks on something you don't need... and then just to sell it? Me no comprende... :) In the hands of a professional timber faller that 460 will last maybe 2 seasons... and that's ran effin' hard.

In the hands of a "homeowner" or "firewood guy"... it will outlast the person usin' it. 200 cords of wood will be no problem for that saw this year, and then keep on cuttin' for years to come.

But again... it's your money... if'n you really want an MS290 that bad. Buy it. :dizzy:

Gary

ok i think i'm getting the point....i'm the stubborn one!

so i think i'll compromise and use the 460 this year but still buy the boss, not use it and attempt to make a buck by flipping it.

thanks everyone...i figured someone would nock some sense into me.

:popcorn:

I like my 029 but if I needed that kind of production, I would be looking for a used 361. 200 cords with a 290, my hands hurt just thinking about it. Just my $.02, I do think the 290 will hold up, it's just not the best choice.

My son and I together cut 12 -15 cords a year for heating two houses. We have an 041 Farmboss and two MS290 Farmbosses, one 18", the other 20". Bought 'em all used, one pristine 290 for $225, the other used some for $175. For our use they're just fine. But if I were looking at cutting 100s of cords for profit, I'd certainly look at a pro saw, and consider weight and vibration very carefully.

thanks again everyone

since i've never touched, let alone operated a 290 i wanted to get advice...which i did here.

since this is going to be a looooooong project i will just use the 460. seems like a no brainer actually the longer i've thought about it. i don't know why but i just categorically consider my 460 my field felling saw, my 192 my climber and i figured a third rig would be nice for in the timber yard.

:rock:

Buy the damn saw! You never have enough saws!:clap: I have a 361 that I just bought and use it for the heavier trees up to 20 inches. I still grab my old Husky 257 for the light stuff and just because I have not blown it up yet after 12 years. Buy em' and use em'. They all cut. I can't wait until the lame mechanic gets my 359 back on line so I can trade it out also:rock:

I needed a saw for bucking hardwood treetops (mostly 18" and smaller) for firewood. I used a 290, but it was too heavy and had too much vibration for long cutting sessions. The 361 solved many of my problems--lighter, better anti-vibe, and faster cuts means less fatigue and exposure to vibes. Since getting the 361, I used the 290 once for cutting the 361 free from a pinch. :chainsaw:

Note that the 290 is likely .325, .063, so you can't swap bars and chains with the 460.

290's out here are usually set up 3/8" .050, so they work just fine with bigger saws as far as chain fit goes...

But bigger saws out here have bigger bars... so a bar that is usually on a 460 out here (28" and larger) won't work on a 290. The 290 won't have the grunt to pull it. Plus when you get out to 32" and bigger... you are in .063 territory then.

You don't see a whole lot of 460's out here with 20" bars on them.

Gary

It's just so hard to use it though....it was the same price as my first car!!!

And as far as keeping it clean.....i jsut got flash backs to the 4 hours i spent sunday cleaning about 12 saws....gotta love the air compressor but man was i covered with oily gunk after...
Mine cost 3 times as much as my 1st car and I STIHL run the snot out of it. Would'nt know it looking at it as I spend more time cleaning it than I did my 1st car.:hmm3grin2orange: Of course I ran the snot out of my 1st car too!

Why would you want a saw that wieghts almost as much as your 460 and cuts half as fast. Steve

He probably knows about all the cool accessories that come with the 290.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Go with the 290 then, that is one tough homeowner saw. Keep the chain sharp and air filter clean and it should serve you well.

Good idea but just as impossible as Paris Hilton being awarded for the Nobel price in physics ;)

Latest posts

Back