Stihl MS 192

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Our Stihl dealer has their chainsaws 10% off until December 31. I am looking for lightweight, reliability and lowest cost.

Now that the MS 192 (rear handled saw) has been out for a while, anyone have any experience with it?

I have narrowed down to the Stihl 192, the Echo CS-306 and a Dolmar 341. I have had great luck with Stihl and in my neck of the woods, there are plenty of Stihl dealers, where not so with the Echo and Dolmar. Another long-shot on my list is the MS180/170, but I'd like an adjustable carb which they don't have.

Sooooo, is the MS 192 rear handle chainsaw and OK saw for trimming/limbing? Is the easy start deal realiable?

Thanks!
Bill

I sell a ton of the top handle units. Professional Arborist consider it a great pruning saw and disposable. For the most part any failure results in a repair bill that means another saw is added to the parts pile.

The home owners/firewood cutters that I've sold this saw to, love it. They are far less abusive than my commercial guys, and I'm having a tough time thinking of a single failure with this crowd.

12" bar have them put .50 ga 3/8 Picco. If you go 14" .43ga 3/8 Picco. Do not put anything larger on it.

One of the AS members (and local pro) uses the 192T and loves it... Seems to be lasting...

I've sold and used the 192 rear handle and it's pretty neat. Way lighter than my rear handed 200 (my favorite saw)

The people who have these saw love them. We set them up with the same 3/8 picco .050 gauge chain and 12" bar and it works well.
I don't have much time using them but they feel more solid, well built than the 170/180's. And they are damn near feather light,
if you want a good limbing saw and don't to shell out for the MS200, the 192 rear handle is the way to go.

Thanks for all the replies - great info.

One question that I am courious about is this: The 192, both top and rear handle saw has what appears to be the same engine as the MS170. Both are 30.1cc and 1.3kW in power.

Does the 192 and MS170 share the same engine - just different orientations?

Thanks again!
Bill

I don't think it is the same engine as the exhaust comes out of the side case on the MS 192 and out of the front on the MS 170. I am going to buy a MS 192 rear handle on the 15th so I will let you know how it goes. The saw looks a bit weak with very short plastic dogs next to a jutting plastic seam. In talking with my dealer, who I trust, he told me that it has held up well for the people who have bought them, but he won't recommend them for pros.

I have a MS 390 that this saw is going to be paired up with for limbing and brush thinning, so it's light weight and maneuverability were the main factors in choosing it over the MS 180. Power is not as important to me with a limbing saw, as I am sure it will be able to tackle a 6" branch without too much effort.

My muffler modded 192T will be getting some use this weekend. My 70 foot tall hackberry is now so hollow, and the mushrooms are crawling up the north and south sides, that it is a hazard. It has shaded my house for many years, but now must go. :cry: :cry:

20 years ago I bolted it together, and 2 years ago we did a weight reduction/cable job, and it did not lose a twig in an 80 mph micro burst, with a brand new Subaru right under it. (I was out jogging at the time) It is sad to see it go, but it will be fun taking it down. Much climbing and roping down. I will post pics!

I like the 192 a bit better then the 200T when cutting from a precarious position, because it is lighter, and the 200's torque makes it (and me) a bit jumpy.

I like the 192 a bit better then the 200T when cutting from a precarious position, because it is lighter, and the 200's torque makes it (and me) a bit jumpy.
I encountered a small climbing job (not to confuse with pro work, LOL)two weeks ago and understood why arborists fall in love with a one hander.

But it was reason enough for me to buy one :monkey: . Looked closely on the 192T (new one) but given his poor use, I took the risk buying a barely used shindaiwa 269T for 100$ (a steal !). After tuning the carb a bit, it runs like a champ and balances well, but it has obviously not the power of my precious 200. Can't wait to give it a run.

Latest posts

Back