Stihl MS 250 C-BE or Shindaiwa 488

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnaco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for a new chainsaw. I went to my local dealer looking for a Stihl
MS 250 C-BE.
Dealer said he was clearing out the Shindaiwa 488 and would make me a deal on it. With a case for $339.
He said it is a better saw than the MS 250 C-BE for $405 w/ case.

They are probably both good. Stihl has the easy start and quick chain adjustment for what that is worth?
Anyway, any opinions would be appreciated.
I'm leaning towards the Shindaiwa 488.

Thanks

since i got this 575 i would say the shin 488

but since shindaiwa has left the saw market --see if you can get a better price on it.:greenchainsaw:

Another vote for the 488.

Pros and cons for both as some have mentioned, but tough not to take a 488 over the 250 for a good deal less money.

I'm happy with my 488. I believe the 488 would be a leftover, the new model is the 490. Same engine, different housing and air filter IIRR.

I love Stihl,,but...

If the 250 is anything like the 210,I'd take the 488 anytime.....I'm just not crazy about the homeowner Stihls..

488 all the way. That is a very good price. Way more saw than the Stihl, more grunt,easier to work on,start in two pulls every time. Buy one, you will like it, I love mine for a firewood saw.:cheers:

Not even a contest....get the Shindaiwa. Different league entirely than the 250.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Maybe I'm biased.

attachment.php

OK... looks like I'm getting the 488. After seaching around, some say to use
preimum gas (burns cooler) and 40:1 oil mix in the 488. Any truth to this?
Thanks for all the help! Great forum!

A 50:1 mix is recommended by Shindiawa currently for 488's. Maybe early 488's were 40:1. They have a good two-ring piston, with a good mix oil should be good long lasting saw on 50:1.

Picked up my 488 today, it is great, so much better than my old saw.
Thanks for your help!

Back