Stihl MS241C M-Tronic review :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Have spent the last 3 days at a forestry felling course where the training organisation have all their saws supplied free by Stihl Australia. They are even supplied saws that haven't hit the market yet.

I did the first part of my training a few months ago but since then they have received all new saws. 2 x 660's, 2 x 362's, 1 x HT131 pole saw, a new MS261 "Q" with the gay arsed rear handle chain break (an absolute pain), plus a few MS441's. HOWEVER, the second I saw a brand new MS241C M-Tronic sitting there I just had to grab it for a play and video opportunity!

From memory the guys stateside can't get this saw as it hasn't been released in the US. I think the europeans can get it? The link attached is from the UK...

MS 241 C-M - New, compact professional chain saw with M-Tronic

I only took a couple of pictures and have incorporated them into the attached video. First thing I noticed was how light and well balanced it is. It is a VERY handy little saw. I started it and thought the same of all strato saws I've used... SLUG. It had crap throttle response, stalled a couple of times. The idle was all over the place. I wasn't impressed.
Anyway, one of the other trainees (there were 3 of us) needed a little bit of extra training so myself and the other guy disappeared into an overgrown area of pine forest to drop what we wanted. He grabbed the MS261Q.
While he tried a failed swinging dutchman I was limbing a few trees with the little 241. Still not impressed. After the other guy hung about an 80 foot Pine up I decided to fell a larger pine into it to "unhang" it. I buried the 241's 16" bar with .325" and full chisel Stihl chain and it just kept pulling. Anyway I dropped this pine which knocked the hung tree out the way and started limbing it. Within half a tank this thing had turned into an animal! If M-Tronic works on all new Stihl saws like it worked on this 241 then I'm sold. They just have to make their bigger saws handle like Huskies ;)
I got a video of the other guy having a go on it and he too was suitably impressed.
I am so in awe of this little saw that I have my local Stihl dealer trying to source me one. I was going to get a new 346XP (I already have a 353) but this thing is just so much more nimble it's not funny! (I know many would think it's impossible!).

Excellent little saw and an absolute rocketship for it's size. The guy in the video also wants to get one and after filling the instructor in on just how impressed we were he wants to have a good run on it now :D

I don't normally rave about new saws like this but this one is worth it for sure. Impressed is an understatement...

EDIT: I'll attach the video when it uploads - it's taking longer than I thought...

Last edited:
matt,

so hows it compare to the 261 you had?

too bad stihl isnt bring the 241 over here in the us.

Looking at the specs it's a good bit lighter than the 346, but is down quite a bit in power. I can see where it might be "Whippy" and handy.

Is this thing gonna be the replacement for the MS 200 rear handle or just another wierd "Tweener" for the Euro market?

IBTSSB(In before Troll says sideways balance.):D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

matt,

so hows it compare to the 261 you had?

Down on power but kicks it's butt in every other area.

1) Throttle response
2) More Nimble, WAY more nimble. It was like throwing around a pro version of an MS170!
3) Throttle run down time
4) Throttle response
5) Even more throttle response
6) The 261 didn't impress me, this little thing is awesome!
7) It's speed on limbs under 6" was most certainly faster than the 261.

***Out of interest this Aussie delivered MS261 pulled 13,800rpm no load unlike the leaner US delivered saws (My US delivered MS261 pulled 14,200 and was gutless). The MS241C pulled 13,700rpm no load.

The guy in the video (when it's uploaded) actually rated the 241 over the 261. I don't believe the 261 has much over the other saws in it's class - I don't think the 241 really has any competition in it's class and for limbing etc it'll flog the 261 hands down. I always like seeing what guys think of saws when they have no previous biases or thoughts. I loved it but once the guy in the video loved it I knew it wasn't just me :)

Ha there Matt,
I hope ya learning something there champ not just playing with saws,i have a few nice easy trees (not) for ya to fell down her when ya all edjumakated.:biggrin:

Did they have any 441 MTronics there mate ?.

Looking at the specs it's a good bit lighter than the 346, but is down quite a bit in power. I can see where it might be "Whippy" and handy.

Is this thing gonna be the replacement for the MS 200 rear handle or just another wierd "Tweener" for the Euro market?

IBTSSB(In before Troll says sideways balance.):D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

More of a "tweener" I think, I saw a pic of a new 201 rear handle somewhere so they should be available at some stage.

HOWEVER, the second I saw a brand new MS241C M-Tronic sitting there I just had to grab it for a play and video opportunity!

From memory the guys stateside can't get this saw as it hasn't been released in the US. I think the europeans can get it? The link attached is from the UK......

They are in stock here, and has been for a while - I think they will fit well into the market here, much better than the 261 - but I am suspitious regarding the trigger response + the weight is a little close to some 50cc saws. It doesn't feel much smaller/lighter in the hands than a 346xp (in the shop, that is).

Just another thougt - it could well be a better replacement for the 260 than the 261 is, for many users....

I'll wait for the 543xp, to see how it compares, since I really have no use for a saw that size anyway......:msp_smile:

They come with the PS3 set-up here, like the 201.

Ha there Matt,
I hope ya learning something there champ not just playing with saws,i have a few nice easy trees (not) for ya to fell down her when ya all edjumakated.:biggrin:

Did they have any 441 MTronics there mate ?.

The M-Tronic 441's were running too hot and returned. Not sure what the update there is. I forgot to ask. I learnt one thing - softwoods are different to hardwoods :D

That picco chain really melts through the wood on 40 cc saws. Steve

This particular saw was fitted with .325" although the UK link says 3/8"LP.

They are in stock here, and has been for a while - I think they will fit well into the market here, much better than the 261 - but I am suspitious regarding the trigger response + the weight is a little close to some 50cc saws. It doesn't feel much smaller/lighter in the hands than a 346xp (in the shop, that is).

Just another thougt - it could well be a better replacement for the 260 than the 261 is, for many users....

I'll wait for the 543xp, to see how it compares, since I really have no use for a saw that size anyway......:msp_smile:

They come with the PS3 set-up here, like the 201.

They do feel far more nimble and lighter than my 353 Sawtroll. Not as gutsy but way more capable than many would think for their cc's. Like you I think it is a far better replacement for the 260 and to be honest I actually think it would give one a really good run for it's money with any setup. Don't be suspicious of the throttle response - I didn't actually expect good things from this saw until I used it. I was truly shocked by how well it went. I'm looking forward to a review on any comparable Husky too.
Once Youtube stops fluffing around you'll see how snappy it is on the video. Already dropped the upload once :(

OK - I found your first post a little unclear regarding the throttle response, and haven't tried myself.

The Husky 543xp is at least a year away as I read the little info I have, but it will be smaller than the 550xp, and I hope both will have the Revboost of the 560xp.....

The ol' 242xp is of course comparable to the 241, as is the PS-420 - and even the original 45cc 346xp.

And here be the video. The video doesn't even do this saw justice :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g_ZZg7KJnU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
OK - I found your first post a little unclear regarding the throttle response, and haven't tried myself.

I know how you probably misread me. Before the computer adapted the 241 did certainly feel sluggish like other stratos I've run. Once the computer tuned itself the whole saw completely changed and it went from unimpressive to super impressive!

mcw, you're like the king of reviews. You write for magazines?

I don't understand why they don't have these in the US. Anybody know the reasoning?

I don't understand why they don't have these in the US. Anybody know the reasoning?

They probably think of it as the replacement for the 240 (it "officially" is), and miss the finer points of what it really is .......:rolleyes:

Because we'd have a hard time selling a 450$ 40cc Pro Saw only capable of running a 14" or 16" bar

Much more likely to see it's 231/251 counterparts in a 350$ 45cc homeowner version.

Hah hah. Nah not the king of reviews at all. Apart from a few agricultural chemicals I only review stuff for AS. This was just one of those opportunistic moments that I grabbed :)

Some people may think that this saw is a bit of an inbetweener but give me one of these over a 261 anyday - the 261 is a smaller saw trying to be a big saw, the 241 KNOWS it's a small saw :)

Because we'd have a hard time selling a 450$ 40cc Pro Saw only capable of running a 14" or 16" bar

Much more likely to see it's 231/251 counterparts in a 350$ 45cc homeowner version.

Doesn't explain the MS 200/201 then.

They have homeowner and commercial alternatives in the same class so why not in the 40cc class. Oh well.

Back