Stihl MS241C M-Tronic review :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't explain the MS 200/201 then.

They have homeowner and commercial alternatives in the same class so why not in the 40cc class. Oh well.

Whether this saw would have a market fit in the US I'm not sure. I can say one thing though - if ten people had the opportunity to run one of these alongside the MS261, seven or eight of them would take the 241. All you gain from the 261 is a heavier saw and a couple of inches of useable bar length. Maybe an M-Tronic MS261 would be a different ballgame...

I'd just be happier to see it's weight closer to a Shiny 377 or Redmax 4500. If I want small, it had better be really light, or I'm picking up the 346. That's the only downfall of the 420. It's about a pound too heavy, making it too close to the 5100.

I'd just be happier to see it's weight closer to a Shiny 377 or Redmax 4500. If I want small, it had better be really light, or I'm picking up the 346. That's the only downfall of the 420. It's about a pound too heavy, making it too close to the 5100.

I hadn't even looked at the weight difference Brad. I suppose this is where paper specs can be misleading as this 241 felt WAY lighter than my 353.

I'd never run one of the M-Tronic saws until I bought my 441C 2 weeks ago, and after running this one, I'll never have another regular saw. The power all the way through the cut couldn't be any better, and the power is much smoother than even my friends brand new regular 441.

I agree with the statements about putting a few tanks of fuel through it and they really come to life. It's an incredible saw and keeps getting better with every tank of fuel. After 15 tanks it's still loosening up further and further...

Excellent. It's about time they made a pro grade 40cc class saw. To bad it's not a pound lighter. Anyone recall off hand what a PS-420 weighs?

Have you forgotten the 024 and MS240 - both were 42cc, and the 024S a bit more?

The difference is of course that this time it is on a smaller platform than the 50cc saw (261) - but it still is a tad heavier than the 024/026/240/260.....

The 420 is just a tad lighter, as is the 242xp and the 45cc 346xp (and the 260 etc).

The next question is if it has an inboard or an outboard clutch?

Yes - Imo, the weight is too close to the (NE)346xp - but it still should make sence to those that only want Stihl saws.:msp_wink:

I am waiting, to see what the 543xp turns out to be, despite it obviously will be more expensive here (the price is relatively low on the 241, as on most pro Stihl models here).........

The review is great - not really sure about the saw, unless you are a Stihl only guy........:msp_biggrin:
I think we all know I am not a Stihl only guy, I favor the Husky lineup pretty heavily. Nonetheless, this still looks like a nice saw.

Yes - Imo, the weight is too close to the (NE)346xp - but it still should make sence to those that only want Stihl saws.:msp_wink:

I am waiting, to see what the 543xp turns out to be, despite it obviously will be more expensive here (the price is relatively low on the 241, as on most pro Stihl models here).........

I am also intrigued by the 543xp, but am worried about it at the same time. They are coming out with a 550xp to replace the 346, and I can't imagine it will be lighter than it currently sits. I hope so, but not likely. Where can the 543xp sit in the weight/price lineup? Is there room for it?

Anyway, this is the MS241CM thread, we should leave it at that. Nice saw, nice review - and I apologize if I missed it but I don't remember seeing it, is there a posted weight for this saw?

I hadn't even looked at the weight difference Brad. I suppose this is where paper specs can be misleading as this 241 felt WAY hilighter than my 353.

The 346 is only 10 1/2 oz heavier. My weight cutoff for a sub 50cc saw is 9-9 1/2 lbs. Otherwise, I'm using the 346. I never found the perfect saw. The Shiny 377 was the best built. The 242XP was the biggest disappointment of them all. The Redmax 3700 and Ryobi copy of the Redmax 400 were the strongest. They have great engines but are very "plasticky". The MS200 plain costs too much. The Dolmar 420 is another SUPER little saw, but is on the heavy side. I'm anxious to church out the new Husky.Don't get me wrong. These are all decent saws, but I'm still looking for that perfect 9# saw that is true professional grade. One I'd still like to check out is the Redmax GZ4500. It's the same physical size as the 4000, and should be a little nicer than the 400.

Last edited:
I think we all know I am not a Stihl only guy, I favor the Husky lineup pretty heavily. Nonetheless, this still looks like a nice saw.

I am also intrigued by the 543xp, but am worried about it at the same time. They are coming out with a 550xp to replace the 346, and I can't imagine it will be lighter than it currently sits. I hope so, but not likely. Where can the 543xp sit in the weight/price lineup? Is there room for it?

Anyway, this is the MS241CM thread, we should leave it at that. Nice saw, nice review - and I apologize if I missed it but I don't remember seeing it, is there a posted weight for this saw?

Surely it is a nice saw, and we don't know much about the 550xp and the 543xp yet - nothing at all in my case, except that the 543 is supposed to be smaller and lighter, and they both are "crimped" versions of the 560xp.

I don't have much money, since I am retiered and not able to work - but saws are a matter of priority, so it is about the last thing I look at - it is a matter of when, and not if!

The 346 is only 10 1/2 oz heavier. My weight cutoff for a sub 50cc saw is 9-9 1/2 lbs. Otherwise, I'm using the 346. I never found the perfect saw. The Shiny 377 was the best built. The 242XP was the biggest disappointment of them all. The Redmax 3700 and Ryobi copy of the Redmax 400 were the strongest. They have great engines but are very "plasticky". The MS200 plain costs too much. The Dolmar 420 is another SUPER little saw, but is on the heavy side. I'm anxious to church out the new Husky.Don't get me wrong. These are all decent saws, but I'm still looking for that perfect 9# saw that is true professional grade. One I'd still like to check out is the Redmax GZ4500. It's the same physical size as the 4000, and should be a little nicer than the 400.

If they could just take the 435 and turn it into a mag case and pop the power on it - without changing the weight - we'd have a real winner. I don't think 3-3.2HP would be too much to ask for.

The next question is if it has an inboard or an outboard clutch?

Inboard :) Uh oh...

I like this saw, great review! :)

Thanks mate, it's a great little saw. I like it muchly.

The review is great - not really sure about the saw, unless you are a Stihl only guy........:msp_biggrin:

Hey you know me Sawtroll. I'm more critical of Stihl than any other brand. I don't rate their 261, I'd rather use my Husky 353 and I've owned both plus a 5100-S (actually all 3 at once). I also rate the 5100-S above the 261. However I give credit where it's due and this 241 is very impressive. I'm sure without M-Tronic it wouldn't be quite as impressive. Once again as mentioned paper specs tell only part of the story. I can assure you that the 241C is WAY more light and nimble than my 353 (same basic saw layout as the 346XP as you'd know). You'd also know that I've never been a big one on weight and balance on smaller saws as I have thrown 90cc saws around all day with no issues. When I say this is a superbly balanced little saw with awesome throttle response and grunt for it's size I'm not saying that lightly. In fact it hurts ;)
I flamed the 261 and recently flamed the 201T when compared to my 200T's. I also have a strong dislike (but mega respect) for the 441's and 362's. They are overweight pigs in stock form. If the 241 was a piece of crap I'd be on the flaming bandwagon again but I'm not, because it kicks arse :D

Matt, I hope I'm not raining too much on this thread or taking it off topic. I just happens that this class of saws is one I've looked at a lot and am quite interested in. The 241 looks to be a great saw.

No problem at all Brad. It is a great little saw. My local Stihl dealer is still trying to source price and availability. You never know but it may make a trip stateside at some stage ;)

For everybody's interest I won't get any change from probably USD$1100 on this saw when bought in Australia. This might just confirm how much I liked it although if available in the states I'd most certainly source one from there :( A new MS261 purchased here is currently around USD$1300. For me this 241C will fit right in with my 353 and will be one of those great little saws for smaller jobs and limbing. The 16" bar and .325" chain posed no problems at all. I think 3/8"LP would be wasted.

And here be the video. The video doesn't even do this saw justice :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g_ZZg7KJnU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matt was that pine dry all thru or just the limbs, it certainly looks like a goer :clap: :clap: :clap:

I want this saw!!!

Hopefully it will come to the US.

Last edited:
matt was that pine dry all thru or just the limbs, it certainly looks like a goer :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nah the main tree was green mate and only just felled. Some of the smaller lower limbs were dead for sure. The larger ones weren't. She goes ;)

Latest posts

Back