Stihl MS241C M-Tronic review :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted on their wall about the saw and got a response.

Their response:
Stihl USA said:
Greg: appreciate your comments. There are a lot of factors that go in to selecting the products that get offered in a particular market. Here in the US we continue to work to ensure that we have the most innovative and environmentally responsible products in the market, while keeping price points competitive. There are some new and innovative products coming out next year. Stay tuned.

Interesting...

14 vs. 16" huh, rather 13 vs. 15" I guess, in real life!

Not a biggie, but I have noted that the "called" inches are "shorter" than usual both on the small mount Stihl bars, the Oregon 91-series, and virtually all other 3/8" lo-pro bars meant for small saws (Logosol bars etc are an exception).

I guess there are some psycology hidden behind that......:laugh: :laugh:

It happens with other bars as well, but not systematically - some even are longer than called.

Not a biggie, but I have noted that the "called" inches are "shorter" than usual both on the small mount Stihl bars, the Oregon 91-series, and virtually all other 3/8" lo-pro bars meant for small saws (Logosol bars etc are an exception).

The gals who are labeling the length of the bars just have husbands telling them that 5 inches is actually 8 inches is all. :hmm3grin2orange:

Doesn't matter one bit if the DL count is correct.

The gals who are labeling the length of the bars just have husbands telling them that 5 inches is actually 8 inches is all. :hmm3grin2orange:

Doesn't matter one bit if the DL count is correct.

I don't think that is too far off actually - and that it may have to do with "bragging rights" for unknowing users of cheap consumer saws, who select their saws by inches and not cc/power....

I saw what you were doing matt , just pulling your leg about the finger.
I used to race motorbikes and half the competitors were always revving their engines (wearing them out).
The "minibike dads" in the pee wee 50cc class were the worst.
Road Bike riders must do it cause they like the sound It makes me think they are useless and cant get it to idle.
I know that you and others are demonstrating throttle response, and like the sound :)

First it was brad doing it then you now Andrew is doing it.
look at Andrew's old videos and the throttle was a two position switch 0% 100% and when it was 100% it was in the wood, you can almost never hear 4 stroking in his old videos because as soon as it was on it was in. That sorta skill made me smile

14 vs. 16" huh, rather 13 vs. 15" I guess, in real life!

I guess there are some psycology hidden behind that......:laugh: :laugh:

It happens with other bars as well, but not systematically - some even are longer than called.

Yeah thats right Sawtroll. It's like Stihl's 25" bar that is only 84DL. The average Stihl user thinks they have a longer bar than the average Husky user with a 24" so therefore have a tougher saw :D

I saw what you were doing matt , just pulling your leg about the finger.
I used to race motorbikes and half the competitors were always revving their engines (wearing them out).
The "minibike dads" in the pee wee 50cc class were the worst.
Road Bike riders must do it cause they like the sound It makes me think they are useless and cant get it to idle.
I know that you and others are demonstrating throttle response, and like the sound :)

First it was brad doing it then you now Andrew is doing it.
look at Andrew's old videos and the throttle was a two position switch 0% 100% and when it was 100% it was in the wood, you can almost never hear 4 stroking in his old videos because as soon as it was on it was in. That sorta skill made me smile

Actually where I was revving it outside of the cut was to show the throttle response (and how it improves as the computer adapts) and when I was doing it in the cut was where I was about to break through into the dirt and wreck the chain :D

My excuse for the index finger twitch is to put more oil on the chain. Really though, it just sounds so darn good,music to my ears!:chainsawguy:

Hows your 241cm running MCW?
I am almost ready to buy one but tricky part is getting it to the USA. My saw plan is 200t, 241, 362 and a 661. I have the 200t and a 362 just waiting on the 661 to be released and figuring out how to get a 241. Its funny how ten years of being an arborist I didnt have CAD, then I find this site and its all over.

Hows your 241cm running MCW?
I am almost ready to buy one but tricky part is getting it to the USA. My saw plan is 200t, 241, 362 and a 661. I have the 200t and a 362 just waiting on the 661 to be released and figuring out how to get a 241. Its funny how ten years of being an arborist I didnt have CAD, then I find this site and its all over.

Hi mate.
I haven't been using it too much lately but it hasn't missed a beat as yet - it's probably only seen maybe a dozen tanks though. I've started it a few times here and there and it starts as well as any other saw I've got. Still not 2 pulls when cold like some people can achieve with their M-Tronic 441's but this little saw really is excellent.
It's easy to look at the specs and think it's in between models and therefore doesn't have a fit but it most certainly does and is closer to an MS261 in power than many people would think. Bring balance and handling into it and it's all over for the 261 unless you're just dropping it into logs.
CAD, it's a shocker...

Down on power but kicks it's butt in every other area.

1) Throttle response
2) More Nimble, WAY more nimble. It was like throwing around a pro version of an MS170!
3) Throttle run down time
4) Throttle response
5) Even more throttle response
6) The 261 didn't impress me, this little thing is awesome!
7) It's speed on limbs under 6" was most certainly faster than the 261.

***Out of interest this Aussie delivered MS261 pulled 13,800rpm no load unlike the leaner US delivered saws (My US delivered MS261 pulled 14,200 and was gutless). The MS241C pulled 13,700rpm no load.

The guy in the video (when it's uploaded) actually rated the 241 over the 261. I don't believe the 261 has much over the other saws in it's class - I don't think the 241 really has any competition in it's class and for limbing etc it'll flog the 261 hands down. I always like seeing what guys think of saws when they have no previous biases or thoughts. I loved it but once the guy in the video loved it I knew it wasn't just me :)
It looks like my old 44 Husky. And by your discription runs like it too. If it does it's definately a winner.

Well... I have a 241cm on order. It has long plane ride ahead, hope it gets here in one piece.

It looks like my old 44 Husky. And by your discription runs like it too. If it does it's definately a winner.

Never run a 44 Husky but now I want one dammit...

Well... I have a 241cm on order. It has long plane ride ahead, hope it gets here in one piece.

Good stuff :cheers: Start a thread and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed.

Awesome. Is love to have one.

You have the technology Brad :) Go on, do it. I want to see one off it's face :D

My dad bought one of these a few days ago, and I can tell by your posts that he didn't make a mistake! :msp_smile: He is very happy with it, nice little chainsaw, fast and light. :chainsaw:

$560 AUD + post from the UK sounds good to me.:msp_smile:

Local Price for MS261 AUD $1249.00
Local Price for MS241 AUD $1249.00

Import from UK AUD $604 plus freight another $100.00

One of my friends Brad has an old 08S he borrowed a MS180 (from his brother Danny a carpenter) with safety chains 12 bar to climb a large tree and drop all the top branches as the 08S it too heavy to climb with.

He liked the size and weight of the MS180 but it did not cut once it got into the heartwood.
I sharpened the chains for him with the grinder because they were too far gone to file.
I gave Brad a go on my cheap and cheerful 017 with .050 3/8LP Carlton semi chisel on some seasoned hard wood.
I gave Brad two RSC 12" that I don't have a bar for any more, to give to give to Danny when he returned the saw.

Brad was telling me he was at the stihl Thursday shop looking at buying a MS180 AUD $499.00

I Told him he should look at the MS241 a hundred dollars + shipping dearer but much better saw.
I let him have play with my MS261 and explained the weight difference and what M tronic was about
showed him the differences in features/quality between
a black plastic handle (home owner)
orange handle (farmer)
and white handle saws (Professional)

Thanks To matt reminding me were he imported his from A Ms241 is being ordered.:rock:

Brad sold a Honda 250 "elsinore" and told swmbo that it would good for camping:msp_sneaky:

Back