Stihl MS361 or Husky 372Xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for a price of $699 for a 372 with 20" bar!?!?! The prices I got are all $800 for that combo and $600 for the 361.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my dealer will sell the 372xp with 20" bar for $699 but sells same saw with 24" bar for over $800. The info. I gathered on 372xp prices from the Arborist Site ranged from $699 to mid $800.
Check out the price on a Jonsered 2171, which is the same saw as 372. When I did search on 372 prices, others commented that the 2171 was cheaper then the 372 from their local dealers. But in my area, the 2171 was more expensive then the 372.

The first year I burned I got a few truckloads of BIG oak.... over 24"..... I never know what I'll come across really.... so i think the bigger the better in a way. There is a LOT of hardwood around here.... it's all a matter of what you can get to and haul and also talk landowners into giving you.

That post points strongly at the 372xp!

On the flip side, I have both, and use the 361 maybe 20 times as much as the 372, but that mainly is because it fits the size of (most of) the wood I have much better....

For general handling in the woods there are no comparison - the 361 wins by a wide margin, mostly because it is much lighter and less bulky. :)

From what I've read this AM... I'm now between the 372XP (still the favorite as i've wanted one for a LONG time) and the Dolmar PS7900 as it is actually a little cheaper. I've never seen the Dolmar in person though. I'm sure it cuts awesome from reading about it.

Again... different class saws! I know the local Husky dealer and it is a nice family business, but the Dolmar is more HP and CHEAPER.

Last edited:
From what I've read this AM... I'm now between the 372XP (still the favorite as i've wanted one for a LONG time) and the Dolmar PS7900 as it is actually a little cheaper. I've never seen the Dolmar in person though. I'm sure it cuts awesome from reading about it.

Again... different class saws! I know the local Husky dealer and it is a nice family business, but the Dolmar is more HP and CHEAPER.

Before I bought my 372 I looked hard at the 7900. I would suggest you do a "search" on both saws and read as much as you can before you decide.
Either way you can't go wrong. I think you are in a win/win situation.

Before I bought my 372 I looked hard at the 7900. I would suggest you do a "search" on both saws and read as much as you can before you decide.
Either way you can't go wrong. I think you are in a win/win situation.
So I need to buy both eventually. I'm sort of concerned with being able to STILL get a 372.... and don't want them to start drying up before I'm able to get one. I'd assume the 7900 will be around for quite a while??

A Dolmar 7900 would smoke either of those and cost about the same as a 361. Read the thread in the chainsaw section about saws that don't live up to the hype, lots negative comments about the 361's in that thread, some 372's. The 7900 had overwhelming positive praise and not a single negative.
I think a lot depends on if you want to cut wood w/a stock saw or go nuts and mod the muffler, port it etc. (ala the snellerizer!)

I know a lot of people are turned of from Dolmar because of dealer support. I Don't know where you live but there is a dealer in Brooklyn ct that sells them for $639 with 20" bar.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=111240

That dealer in Brooklyn is on route 6, not to far from me.

That dealer in Brooklyn is on route 6, not to far from me.

I'm in the Northwest corner of CT so about a state away. I have a contact in that area though. I'd MUCH prefer to buy local as if something happens, at least it's bought from that dealership... not that it should matter, but I'm sure it does from a dealer/relationship stand point.

I'm in the Northwest corner of CT so about a state away. I have a contact in that area though. I'd MUCH prefer to buy local as if something happens, at least it's bought from that dealership... not that it should matter, but I'm sure it does from a dealer/relationship stand point.

The need for dealer support is definetely a personal choice and something that should be considered. I really don't need it and get parts/accessories from Baileys. Curtis, the dealer I have been mentioning is about as good as it gets, a real nuts and bolts kind of dealer. Don't expect a polished floor and a button down shirt, the day I bought mine from him he wasn't even wearing a shirt. He also sells Husky and jonny red.

Originally Posted by harrybeaver
A Dolmar 7900 would smoke either of those and cost about the same as a 361. Read the thread in the chainsaw section about saws that don't live up to the hype, lots negative comments about the 361's in that thread, some 372's. The 7900 had overwhelming positive praise and not a single negative.
I think a lot depends on if you want to cut wood w/a stock saw or go nuts and mod the muffler, port it etc. (ala the snellerizer!)It sounded like cost was a factor in the OP's saw consideration so I didn't think mods were an option, especially if buying new as it voids the warranty. A 372 can be made to run with a 7900 and even beat it out but you will need to send it to Brad and spend ~$250 for the mods. You could also send in the 7900 which will also do better with mods, real well according to the guy in austalia who Brad just did a 7900 for. Which one will be better after modifying, I couldn't say. Andshine has a 372 that beats out his 7900, both modded but he still prefers the 7900, saying it is easier to get good times out of.

your dealer is high.

I also thought about Dolmar. The dealer is farther away, and I've never been in there (it is a rental store), but a 25 minute isn't too bad!

As for a price of $699 for a 372 with 20" bar!?!?! The prices I got are all $800 for that combo and $600 for the 361.

i can get you a 372 with a 24" bar and chain for $679 plus tax on this side of the state.same guy in Brooklyn CT.

Originally Posted by harrybeaver

Do not make your decision from 1 thread. Do a search on both saws and look at pros and cons on each saw. There is a lot more to take in to consideration when buying a firewood saw then hot rod performance. As I said before, I think the 372 and 7900 are both great saws. Just look at all angles before you decide.

I run both of them. I bought the 361, thinking it would be a lighter replacement for my 038 Super, being as the horsepower ratings were the same; but there the comparison ends. The 038 may be heavier, but it's got much more torque, owing to the longer stroke...BUT, like I said the 361 carries a lot easier. The 372XP is a race horse! Torque AND speed! And lighter than the 038. Flip a coin and hope the Husky wins....just make sure it's a gold coin!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back