Stihl MS361 or Husky 372Xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was up for hours last night cause I could NOT sleep.... and read a lot about the 7900 and then saw the big filter kit for it (I was in the chainsaw section)...... so I may get a 7900 after all, but I really want a 372 before they no longer sell them. :dizzy:

Is that $679 price for all or are you a good customer and get special pricing? I'd also prefer a 20" bar.

Last edited:
I have both a 60 cc saw and 70 cc saws. Truth be told I do use the 359 more than I use my 70cc saws. That is mainly a function of the wood that I cut most often. That being said though, I take my 272 or 440 on EVERY wood cutting trip. If I do run into a larger tree especially one that I have to quarter rounds on site it is invaluable to have the extra snort.

In reality I use my 350 more than any of the other saws. Great for limbing and small wood, as the wood gets a little bigger I will usually grab the 359 if the tree is no bigger than 18 inches or so at the base, if it is larger than that I jump right to the 272 or 440.

I also run 24 inch bars on my 70cc saws. They have more than enough grunt to pull them well in hardwood and it dose make bucking a little easier by not having to bend over quite so far as I have to with my other saws.

372XP with 24" bar. It seems like the perfect match. I never thought that I would need a saw that big, that was ten years ago, now I don't know how I ever got along with out my 371XP.

I like the 24" bar, I don't have to bend over as far to cut smaller stuff and it feels well balanced in my hands. If I could only have one saw it would be a 372XP. It will handle everything I need it to do, but the more saws the better.

Buy one of each..........used, just a thought.

I am always on the look out for a used 7900 though. Not many of them in this area. I have been trying to get my hands on a used Home Despot Makita 6401 to up grade, but I always seem to call one or two days ofter they just sold the rental saws.

Split the differance and get the 365 Husky and I'll bet you save a few bucks too. I think a 365 will smoke a 361, and when I got mine, it was like $150 cheaper than a 372.

But mine are the red ones.

not alot of experience with different saws adn I've only got 3 tanks throu my 372XPW w/ 24" bar, but it flat flies through anything I throw at it.

44" poplar, 30" oak - doesn't matter, I couldn't believe how strong it pulled through the cut.

I cut about 4 rick with it, wife couldn't believe how fast I got it cut - told her "that's why I wanted this saw"....yes it's a touch heavy for an everyday firewood saw, but IMO it's worth it's weight.

If you can truly get a 24", 372XP for < $700, you'd better jump on it!

Shoot for that matter, ask em what they'd do on a package deal (372XP + NE346XP non-cat)

Good luck!

Do yourself a very big favor and take a ride over to Shokan, NY and visit Spike60's shop. He had the much better version of the the 372XP (ie: the Jred 2171) hanging on the wall when we went to the GTG last week for a price lower than that quoted above. You will not find a better dealer between here and Canada than the good folks at Ashokan Turf and Timber and you will not want any other saw after owning a Jonsered. Trust me on this one. I have a Husky dealer 5 minutes from my house and I gladly drive over an hour to get my chainsaw stuff from Bob and Warren.

Edited to ad: I cut firewood for many years with a Stihl 036 Pro which is the previous 60cc Stihl saw which compares to the MS361. There is no comparison between the 036 and my Jred 2171. I never even take the Stihl in the woods anymore.

Last edited:
Do yourself a very big favor and take a ride over to Shokan, NY and visit Spike60's shop. He had the much better version of the the 372XP (ie: the Jred 2171) hanging on the wall when we went to the GTG last week for a price lower than that quoted above. You will not find a better dealer between here and Canada than the good folks at Ashokan Turf and Timber and you will not want any other saw after owning a Jonsered. Trust me on this one. I have a Husky dealer 5 minutes from my house and I gladly drive over an hour to get my chainsaw stuff from Bob and Warren.

It is about the same distance from my place to the shop on the other side of CT (both about 70 miles). Can you PM me the price he is selling it for?

i think it would be the same price.

I was up for hours last night cause I could NOT sleep.... and read a lot about the 7900 and then saw the big filter kit for it (I was in the chainsaw section)...... so I may get a 7900 after all, but I really want a 372 before they no longer sell them. :dizzy:

Is that $679 price for all or are you a good customer and get special pricing? I'd also prefer a 20" bar.

they are GB or Forester bars.

best place to buy bars and chains too.buy 5 or more chains up to 20", $12.00 each.

i had a 7900.i don't see the big deal.didn't impress me with the power,fit and finish,or quality.372 is a better all around saw.

i had a 7900.i don't see the big deal.didn't impress me with the power said:
Really? I've ran 044's for years and have some experience w/ the 372 and finally took a leap and got a 7900. I'm not saying it splits and stacks wood by itself, but it darn sure lived up to the hype in terms of power. I've ran it hard for over two seasons, and have yet to be dissapointed. Best value out there...imho

I can not comment on the Stilh or jred or husky, but I can on the 7900 as well as my very old 116si. Both of which have preformed flawlessly. On the 7900 I am running a 32" bar most of the time, 98% of the time it never flinches regardless of the species of wood. ( I am fortunate that I have an tree service that drops off big stuff to me,they do not split and sell) This saw is 8 years old and runs as well now as new.(bone stock) I do about 15 or so cord a year (don't sell any though, well not yet anyway) most of it is for me some for friends. The 116si has been a great unit also, just can't get parts any more, it's replacement will be a 6400 Dolmar. I have a Stilh dealer around the corner from me, nice people, just think I get more bang for the buck with Dolmar. I have a new Dolmar dealer about 10-15 minutes away, seemed real nice on the phone yesterday when I ordered some parts, time will tell

If the cost really isn't a factor, why not a 441? I've cut firewood with the same 044 since 1995 and never had a minutes problem out of it. It's bone stock and will pull a 32" bar with no problem, just like the day it was new.

372 hands down, while you can still get one! If you snooze you are going to lose, that is one great saw, they will make changes to it call it a different model and it will never be the same.

Nice to chat with a Fellow Valk rider! Consider also the saws in my Sig. The Dolmar rarely gets used cause the 357 is my primary FW saw. Both are great saws and something to conisder, in addition to the excellent saws you're already looking at.

K

If the cost really isn't a factor, why not a 441? I've cut firewood with the same 044 since 1995 and never had a minutes problem out of it. It's bone stock and will pull a 32" bar with no problem, just like the day it was new.

If an 044/ MS440 was still available NEW, I'd add that to the list of saws I'm looking at. I'm not real interested in the 441.

I'm still currently between 372 and 7900..... but am considering a Jred CS2171 since a AS sponsor has one at a great deal that is within driving distance NEW for $625.

never said the 7900 wasn't a good saw.

there is no doubt it's a good bang for the buck.i just wasn't impressed with it.i sold it to a good friend of mine and he loves it.i tried it again after it broke in,still does nothing for me.i think it's the feel of it.i'm just used to the 372 and like the way it runs and is set up.i don't think the Dolmar is as well made as the 372 or as easy to work on.i know it is not as easy to get parts for.i would buy the MS 460 before the Dolmar.
i have a Husky/Stihl dealer behind my house.i can hop the creek and walk through the woods and be there in less than 5 minutes.sometimes i run over on the XR400 or the snowmobile.

Back