Stihl MS361 or Husky 372Xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by fishercat
i can get you a 372 with a 24" bar and chain for $679 plus tax on this side of the state.same guy in Brooklyn CT.

I went to my local dealer and it was $800 with an 18inch bar. :jawdrop:

sounds like your dealer is high.

in more ways than one.

to be fair i don't know his story.i know the guy i spoke of is the largest Husky dealer in the North East.he is the largest American log splitter dealer in the country.

he also sells Jonsered,Dolmar,and Makita.

Originally Posted by fishercat
i can get you a 372 with a 24" bar and chain for $679 plus tax on this side of the state.same guy in Brooklyn CT.

I went to my local dealer and it was $800 with an 18inch bar. :jawdrop:

The closest Husky dealer to me (about 8 minutes away) gave me a price of $809 with 20" bar! I can drive 70 miles and save $130 on the exact saw.....

If and IF the local dealer gives good service and has a good reputation it might be worth your while to go in and ask if thats the best he can do, If he is a good dealership and he will wiggle a bit on his price then the benefit of him being 'right there' could save you a few buck in travel for service and parts, not to mention making your life easier. I will pay a little more if the local dealer looks after me and is ETDBW (easy to do business with).

K

If and IF the local dealer gives good service and has a good reputation it might be worth your while to go in and ask if thats the best he can do, If he is a good dealership and he will wiggle a bit on his price then the benefit of him being 'right there' could save you a few buck in travel for service and parts, not to mention making your life easier. I will pay a little more if the local dealer looks after me and is ETDBW (easy to do business with).

K

I send him a message with the other prices I got and asked what he was willing to do. I haven't heard back.....

I'd certainly be willing to spend an extra $20 or $30 to a local guy.... but it doesn't look good! I'd also like to support a AS Sponsor as they aren't too far away and give awesome prices! (Spike60 in NY)

Last edited:
Another thing to consider!

Something that no ones seems to talk about… Maybe it is not critical…

What about efficiency? When you use a bigger displacement you obviously use more fuel, if most of the wood you cut is in the smaller diameter, < 18”, then maybe you can cut more wood with less fuel? And maybe for longer times between refueling?

Maybe some of the experts here can comment:greenchainsaw:

I have a 372XP and a Dolmar PS-5100S and mostly use the 5100S unless I get the big stuff. It is lighter and less fatiguing, but obviously cannot handle the big wood.

i could care less about the fuel usage.

What about efficiency? When you use a bigger displacement you obviously use more fuel, if most of the wood you cut is in the smaller diameter, < 18”, then maybe you can cut more wood with less fuel? And maybe for longer times between refueling?

I have a 372XP and a Dolmar PS-5100S and mostly use the 5100S unless I get the big stuff. It is lighter and less fatiguing, but obviously cannot handle the big wood.

it snowed here today and it's not even Beggoween.guess 'ol AlGore and the libs really are full of BS!

sorry,gotta run! i have an Ozone to deplete!

I doubt fuel usage is something that anyone outside of a serious faller would even notice, and they would be more concerned with the time they are spending cutting.
Truth be told few firewood cutters need two saws or a saw bigger than or more expensive than a 290, these are just wants and they are nice to have.

Man that's one of the 1st things I noticed on my 372XPW - wow it likes the fuel!!!

Truth be told few firewood cutters need two saws or a saw bigger than or more expensive than a 290, these are just wants and they are nice to have.

I agree....kinda. If you're feeding an OWB and have smallish wood, then yeah a 290 will do fine. If you've got > 36" hardwoods on a semi-regular basis and feedign an OWB, then the 290 WOULD do it, but I could also hike to work each morning too....know what I mean?

Not intended to ma a smart azz here, just speaking from a little experience....I always classified myself as a firewood cutter/ buddy helper and had an MS290 w/ 20" bar (sold) and an MS210 16" bar (for sale btw!) I sold the 290 after 1 year of feeding our OWB....I just ran into bigger wood than what was feasable to cut with it. Sure it'd do it....with a NEW chain, alot of patience and not leaning on it.

my 2 cents...again.

Man that's one of the 1st things I noticed on my 372XPW - wow it likes the fuel!!!

Same here with my 7900 compared to the 357, and thats also more bar oil used as well plus the 357 is much lighter (feeling) over the long haul. I agree with Harry Beaver, the 357 is just right for everything I need, I just wanted a 7900.

K

A 50-60cc saw will work well if you can only afford one, trade offs are every where. Personally I like the 3 saw plan. Lately I have getting into so much over 30" that I am considering the 90-120cc class. I am not into hot rodding my saws. That would shift my spread up the scale some

My 372xp does burn more fuel and bar oil, but it also cuts the wood 2 to 3 times faster than my 50 cc saw. So bottom line I will get more wood cut with the 372 compared to the 50cc saw with 1 gallon of gas.

I used to subscribe to the "one saw to do it all plan" back in the bad old days. My Stihl 036 pro cut a lot of firewood since I bought it back in the early 90's. Since then I have come around to the multi saw plan with each saw having a specific purpose (with some overlap of course). I view firewood cutting like playing golf. You can play the whole course with just one club but it goes much smoother and is much more fun if you use the right club for the task at hand. Same thing with chainsaws. Depending on the wood you cut I easily see two or even three saws making sense. In my case, I cut hardwood exclusively for firewood ranging anywhere from 8" to 10" in diameter to up to 30" in diameter. It can be done with a 60cc saw with a 20" bar (I did it for many years) but it struggles in the big wood and is unnecessarily heavy and awkward for limbing and bucking the small stuff. I believe the ultimate combo to be a light fast saw in the 50cc range for limbing and bucking smaller wood and a larger saw in the 70cc and up range for falling and bucking the bigger stuff. I settled on the Jred 2153 and 2171 as my two saw combo but there are many variations in the Husky, Stihl and Dolmar lineups. Once CAD kicks in it quickly becomes the 8 plus saw plan. :hmm3grin2orange:

Once CAD kicks in it quickly becomes the 8 plus saw plan. :hmm3grin2orange:

I can only DREAM to be there one day... :cheers:

With the new CS2171, I'll only have two saws.... a 021 and the CS2171. I think I need to get something in the 50cc range eventually. Maybe a Dolmar PS5100S...

i say whatever you get get 70cc category saw

this is my first year cutn and am into it alittle over my head

GEDC1385.jpg

GEDC1310.jpg

GEDC0315.jpg

GEDC0297.jpg

alot of times these are the only two saws i bring with me.

but be carefull or your yard will look like this
all.jpg

out of all these the 70cc get used the most follwed closely by the 50cc 026.

My 372xp does burn more fuel and bar oil, but it also cuts the wood 2 to 3 times faster than my 50 cc saw. So bottom line I will get more wood cut with the 372 compared to the 50cc saw with 1 gallon of gas.

+1

I can cut more wood with my 371XP than I ever could with any of my 50 - 60cc saws with the same amount of fuel, and do it in less time.

Originally Posted by Bushman_269
Once CAD kicks in it quickly becomes the 8 plus saw plan.

8 is a good starting point and should be easy to obtain in the first 6 months, that is once CAD kicks in. When you find yourself stopping at all the pawn shops and checking Craigslist two or three times a day then you will know that you are a saw addict. To top it off you can give yourself a new saw for Christmas and even act surprised when you open the box....

Latest posts

Back