Stihl quality = bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own the MS211. A good high quality saw. The OP got stung with a bad piece. Probably due to human error. Hope he gets the problem solved soon.
ms-deuce-eleven-picture207457.jpg

You'll like the saw for what it is. Yes they are cheaply made, but mine has held up OK. One tip I have is to drain out all the bar oil than unless you like it all over your bench. I don't know if they fixed the issue or not, but the oil line from the tank will shrink and all the bar oil will leak out in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Damn this thread exploded.
Reading some of the posts/dribble you "Grown men" come up with is mildly entertaining though. Yet some are just ignorant/dense and outlandish at times(not even going to mention the idiots)...get a grip it's a forum ladies.... like wow! Some of you guys need a bit more mongrel!

I see that some have "clicked" and have benefited from my experience and telling it how it was which is what I set out to do. :clap:

So off to the dealer :rant:

The dealer says its a fault on there part. Obviously has been over tightened from factory. They are going to repair it with "the oversized stud" method.
So I said will this repair last? Or just take me past my warranty then Im up "dirty" creek without a paddle...
He insists it will be fine.

I will see how it lasts goes when I get it back, as to weather I will ask for a complete new saw. Perhaps sell it when I get and get the MS 241.

Like I said Im not rough on tools I was taught to respect them and also learnt not to hog onto bolts as it's not required. Hell you can strip a magnesium thread if your careful enough.

I know you say it's a cheap home-owners saw, but that's all I need a quality home-owners saw I'm not an arborist, I don't cut down huge trees, I do like to cut wood and cut I do when needed. Firewood, clearing etc.
But really that stud is a MASSIVE weak point. The saw is great everything I need it to do yet I find myself looking at ALL of the home-owner saws and wondering who actually are they made for? They cant stand home-owner use...The components look like they will last a while with FRP (Fibre-reinforced plastic) on the handles etc. Yet where that stud locks I dont even think it is FRP. So had that been better engineered the saw really would be a nice home owner package.
Lets be honest even home owners will be adjusting that bar quite a bit.In fact it is probably one of the most important hard wearing parts the saw needs as it does get a work out.... One word "plastic"

Yes I got a dud, but really how long will this last without it being a dud....

I find myself at a point where a lot of you guys say it's to be expected but it shouldn't be the case. Basically your saying a home-owner now has to if they want a STIHL saw and not fall apart they should go a buy a Commercial/Pro saw just so it doesn't fall apart in 5 minutes... so you can actually use a tool and be happy its not on borrowed time

A nothing thing that amazes me is that STIHL have this so called bigger "stud part number" So they are aware it's a common fault or weakness with the saw.

This is all very similar to the likes of the 4th Gen Iphone with its useless aerial. A fault in design or weak point when you held the phone "naked" in your hand the aerial strength went weaker. There fix was to give out a apple plastic cover to fix there design flaw of the aerial...until now which they have fixed this issue by a re-design. Maybe STIHL will wise up....:chainsaw:

There will be more to come from this when I go back to pick up the saw...:poke:
They make oversized bar studs to give someone a last chance if they strip out the threads. It happeneds time to time and if they didnt have anything to repair it then that would be a whole other problem. Most people are good dudes here. You just came across very wrong with your words sir. retard is a very offensive word when used in a hateful manner. Not trying to start anything again just saying me and a few others found that to be way out of line.

You'll like the saw for what it is. Yes they are cheaply made, but mine has held up OK. One tip I have is to drain the oil than unless you like oil all over your bench. I don't know if they fixed the issue or not, but the oil line from the tank will shrink and all the bar oil will leak out in a few weeks.

I did know of this problem before I got the saw but I could've lived with it. Ill add it to the list. :cheers:

My thoughts exactly.

Me too. The poor guy spoke his mind, some body didn't like it and he gets schooled in playground and gangland mentality. Speak your mind, Flatie. At least you didn't get banned. Then you get beat up without bein' able to defend yourself. Getting called a troll for speaking your mind was not called for. And I'm a big Stihl fanatic. Just don't like people gettin' treated rude. Not every one will go like that.

I will get nasty when provoked, though. I'm not really a grown up. Most ya NZ and Aussie lads are ok. Good spirited.

They make oversized bar studs to give someone a last chance if they strip out the threads. It happeneds time to time and if they didnt have anything to repair it then that would be a whole other problem. Most people are good dudes here. You just came across very wrong with your words sir. retard is a very offensive word when used in a hateful manner. Not trying to start anything again just saying me and a few others found that to be way out of line.

Most are I agree. But what one person find offensive another may not (it's life).I found other comments out of line. It was what is was that's all there is on "that" matter.

I actually had pretty much the same issue with my 211 the day I bought it. I tried to remove the bar nut, and the bar stud came with it. No big deal I separated the two and put some Loctite on the stud and it hasn't given me any issues since, and I do like the saw for what it is. With that said, yes Stihl over charges for these cheaply made saws that aren't that much better than a $100 Poulan, stamped rod and all.

:popcorn:[/QUOTE
hey now...but u guys don't actually cut wood hardly. You are just enthusiasts...buying new saws all the time and blip the throttle every now and then cutting cookies. the ironic part is modifiedmark like your post in regards to poulans. Take an MS250 and go cut wood for the next 10 years and tell me they are a POS. They aren't junk saws at all imo. Have u seen an MS250 with a stamped rod?

I actually had pretty much the same issue with my 211 the day I bought it. I tried to remove the bar nut, and the bar stud came with it. No big deal I separated the two and put some Loctite on the stud and it hasn't given me any issues since, and I do like the saw for what it is. With that said, yes Stihl over charges for these cheaply made saws that aren't that much better than a $100 Poulan, stamped rod and all.

:popcorn:[/QUOTE
hey now...but u guys don't actually cut wood hardly. You are just enthusiasts...buying new saws all the time and blip the throttle every now and then cutting cookies. the ironic part is modifiedmark like your post in regards to poulans. Take an MS250 and go cut wood for the next 10 years and tell me they are a POS. They aren't junk saws at all imo. Have u seen an MS250 with a stamped rod?

The MS250 we cant get here any more but the new MS 251 which you guys will get soon has the same threaded plastic fella. That's the bad part.

Most are I agree. But what one person find offensive another may not (it's life).I found other comments out of line. It was what is was that's all there is on "that" matter.
Just dont use that word in a hateful manner please thats all I ask. If you can respect that I would like that. The oversized bar stud will take care of the problem.

it isn't me your replying to...i have no idea if the 251 has one or two bar studs. the old 024 with a stamped rod had one ;)

Will I guess you know me really well. Not only do I burn wood for heat, at one point I was selling 50 cord or more a year in bundles, the past few years or so I haven't put any time into it. Assuming something is very arrogant, which it made you look.

BTW I never called the 211 a POS it is what it is, an overpriced homeowner saw that is still working just fine for me, stamped rod and all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
WOW! I have never seen a thread blow up quite like this one has. I ended up with one green rep and one red rep (not from flatie BTW), and about 20 likes. Today was the first time I have looked at my rep in some time. I have no idea what rep is even for so it has not mattered to me.

Now that I've read all the pages I think there were more gun control issues than saw issues. That's too bad for a chainsaw issue but then thread drift is normal on any forum.

I did not intend for this blowup to happen. I only addressed Flatie's first post as a troll post where someone bashes equipment as bad quality because either they have problems no one else has or they break some part on their own. I didn't like his post and I still don't. However I would like to personally apologize to Flatie for my poor choice of words. I would also apologize to AS if this post caused any grief or extra work for the moderators.

Flatie if you can put this behind you then the beer is on me. You just have to come to California. (It was kind of a fun ride, eh).

Did u just show me those pics? There isn't much wood there buddy. You might as well buy a new poulan and cut all day long ;)

Me too. The poor guy spoke his mind, some body didn't like it and he gets schooled in playground and gangland mentality. Speak your mind, Flatie. At least you didn't get banned. Then you get beat up without bein' able to defend yourself. Getting called a troll for speaking your mind was not called for. And I'm a big Stihl fanatic. Just don't like people gettin' treated rude. Not every one will go like that.

I will get nasty when provoked, though. I'm not really a grown up. Most ya NZ and Aussie lads are ok. Good spirited.

Oh shut up and get back in yer cave........troll. :msp_rolleyes:

WOW! I have never seen a thread blow up quite like this one has. I ended up with one green rep and one red rep (not from flatie BTW), and about 20 likes. Today was the first time I have looked at my rep in some time. I have no idea what rep is even for so it has not mattered to me.

Now that I've read all the pages I think there were more gun control issues than saw issues. That's too bad for a chainsaw issue but then thread drift is normal on any forum.

I did not intend for this blowup to happen. I only addressed Flatie's first post as a troll post where someone bashes equipment as bad quality because either they have problems no one else has or they break some part on their own. I didn't like his post and I still don't. However I would like to personally apologize to Flatie for my poor choice of words. I would also apologize to AS if this post caused any grief or extra work for the moderators.

Flatie if you can put this behind you then the beer is on me. You just have to come to California. (It was kind of a fun ride, eh).

Thanking you kind sir!:msp_thumbup:
I never meant to go off the deep end either with what I said so I apologize also 2dogs. Was never meant to come across knocking anything just I was very disappointed.
Through all of this there are positives though and some will have learnt to be very careful with these new saws. :msp_biggrin:

I also have a beer waiting for me in Cali now we are talking :cheers:

Im past it fella. All good!

Use whatever tickles your fancy as far as brands and manufacturers go, but I've had good luck with models and brand i run.

Latest posts

Back