Stihl SH85 shredder vac....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't really add to Belgian's excellent post.

Well I have finally got done with my 10,000 "Hail Andy's" for my penance..................................................................................................................

How was your breakfast?????????????????????????

I didn't realize that we all had to be worshippers..................................

This thread did get some miles on it though, eh??????????????????

Forgive me Andy, for I have sinned, we are not worthy........................

Well not me, anyway...........................................

Need any 290 parts?????????????????????

Shameless member,
Fish

Well, this is funny. I had many tremulous dreams last night, and this thread was in it...................

I woke up this morning, feeling queasy. Seriously.

I had dreamed that I had posted here, and maligned you in some way, which
I do at least weekly.

But in my dreams, I received e-mails from people, that they were going to
kick my "butt", if I showed up in Ohio, for not properly worshipping you.

While I love you, you are a great guy, and asset to this forum, I love ya,
but I cannot bow in worship, sorry.

You are one of the most experienced "techs", and you always take the "high"
road which is good.

I will take any road that is not too muddy, and goes close to the nearest
mammary bar....

What I am trying to say Andy, in my own twisted way is, I, I, like you.......

You complete me....................Us..................Well Belgian, anyway.........

But if you need anything, especially any MS290 parts, let me know, or any
one else here, because we love yah, dad gummit...................

Hail Andy, Full of .......

Seriously, Andy.

You need anything, let me know.

You are a true asset here........

Forgive me, for I have sinned, I fixed a Jonserehuskapoulan yesterday.

There, is that ok? please don't hurt me if I go to the Ohio gtg..................

I will be wearing the pink Izod shirt.................

Funny, I have an Echo dealer one mile away from me. An excellent dealer, too. ...

Got a service desk manned by two guys at all times. Know what they're doing, too.

My nearest Echo dealer is about a 30 minute drive. They service anything, I hear. Had my 3450 tuned up there once, seemed to be fine. I'm dropping by tomorrow to get a new plug, filter, etc. Basic maintenance, plus I want all new fuel lines for it. One of them keeps popping off, and they all look pretty old and stiff. Kinda like Tommy.

Since they are a John Deere dealer, I'm expectging them to have the same basic stuff for my other saw, a green version of one of those Efco things, which works very well for me.

My nearest Stihl dealer is about an hour drive, and if I go there, I have to put up with a cranky, ugly old man, too!

His name is Tom. :D

My nearest Echo dealer is about a 30 minute drive.

My nearest Stihl dealer is about an hour drive, and if I go there, I have to put up with a cranky, ugly old man, too!

His name is Tom. :D

There's lots of reaasons to like Echo products, but THAT has to be the best!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I have the SH85and it has been a very handy and reliable unit. As the other posters have commented, you can move more by blowing. I used the vac attachment once and learned that. I keep it in the garage to blow out the leaves and dirt and to blow dry the cars afer a wash.

The BR600 is the tool for moving leaves in the fall. It has no match in a backpack unit. I've had both for at least 3 years now without issues.

Bob

If anyone interested in the actual thread is still watching...

Yeah, I know, not a chainsaw question, but I figured with all of the Stihl pro's on here, some of you might have some knowledge ( Andy!!!)

What do you guys know about this thing?

My main question, or concern with this thing is durability? Are there design flaws with this thing? What kind of service do they require? If I accidently suck in a quarter sized rock from a driveway or a 3 inch chunk of oak mulch, is it going to toast the shredding blade?

I tend to get 25 years out of my Stihl chainsaws, can I expect the same life out of these newer gadgets with the same maintenance as I am used to with my saws? If this deal is the quality I am used to from Stihl, It will be a life saver for me!

Again, sorry for all of the dumb questions, just wanted to check with you guys before I spend the money! Thanks a million in advance for any guidance you may be able to give me!

I have had an SH85 since fall of 2000. I have experienced no trouble with the plastic impeller. Bark, sticks, small gravel (which usually doesn't get sucked in unless it is embedded in a pile) pose no threat. Wet dirt gets caked on inside the housing. Spraying water in the inlet with the machine running cleaned that out no problem. The WORST thing you can suck up is a plastic bag. I guess you can say I've used it pretty hard.

Complaints:

The tube attachment system is a pain, although I believe the clip mechanism has been replaced with a screw on later models for the tube to blower attachment. The tube to tube attachment is pretty weak too as others have mentioned.

Mine came with a POS fixed main jet carb. This, combined with the crappy fuel lines caused me to have some issues in years 5-7. It would run, but never right and always erratic. I replaced the fuel line and had the carb apart many times trying to fix it. I think what happened was that some pieces of rubber from the fuel lines made it past the inlet screen and lodged inside some passage in the carb. No amount of soaking, baking, blowing, ultrasonic cleaning solved my problems. After finally replacing the old carb with a new, adjustable one does it run right again. Again, I think these problems have been addressed by Stihl.

I had less than half an acre with lots of mature trees when I bought it. If your intent is to use this 99% for blowing and 1% for vac, I think you will be happy. I don't know that this would be different for any brand. The vacuum works, it is just that the process is painfully slow compared to blowing leaves into a pile.

Now I live on 2 acres with lots of mature trees. I mulch the leaves and just use the blower to blow leaves away from fences and other objects. The SH85 isn't enough blower IMO, now. I am thinking of upgrading to a backpack model.

Looking back, I would've been farther ahead to buy a cheaper blower/vac at 1/3-1/2 the price and thrown it away after 5 years. The time, time, time and money I spent tinkering with this thing because it was a "better machine" wasn't worth it. The piston/cylinder/impeller is all in good shape, but the carb problems I had really turned me off. My neighbors had less problems with their home cheapo models. If it had an adjustable carb, I think I could have tuned around the problem to some degree.

I really would have been farther ahead if I would've just bought the biggest backpack blower I could find. I think the vacuum is more of a novelty than anything. Maybe if you're the type who can't stand to have 1 leaf blowing around your yard... for all practical purposes it was significantly faster to blow the leaves onto a tarp and drag them than it was to vacuum up a pile.

This thread made me pull out my SH85 yesterday and do some tests in the garden. My findings :

- this units starts and runs well and has a pleasant, non ennoying, buzzing sound to it.
- I tried all the tubing that came with it, and one realises why they changed it ; it's fiddly to put it on and off, but it held well once installed (mine has the bajonet system and fastening screw). But I would not like to change it on a dayly basis.
- the vibrations are not a problem, and after 1 hour of use, there's no discomfort at all. A no brainer imo.
- it's a nice blower for small jobs (that's why i bought it in the first place) and very handy to use. Capacity is very OK for a handheld unit.
- Vacuuming is time consuming if you ask me, but that should not be different with an electric one. I cuts light stuff, such as leaves, well and fast, but I had to stop 2 or 3 times for larger wood chips that got stuck between the fan and the housing... I would recommend therefor to use it for cleaning driveways or flowerbeds only. Once you get into vacuuming longer stuff or larger chips, the tube gets stuck very easily. I would like to see Woody do the same with even a smaller diameter tube, regardless of air flow...

90% of my use will be blowing, so I am happy with it. The vacuuming will be used only when I have to.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
- the vibrations are not a problem, and after 1 hour of use, there's no discomfort at all. A no brainer imo.

Must be why Stihl put an antivibe on the new ones. Since it wasn't a problem. I mean, if it isn't broke, fix it anyway, right?

Once you get into vacuuming longer stuff or larger chips, the tube gets stuck very easily. I would like to see Woody do the same with even a smaller diameter tube, regardless of air flow...

Nothing to worry about there, Belgian.

I'm smart enough not to use any hand-held shredder/vac to vacuum-up wood chips.

Must be why Stihl put an antivibe on the new ones. Since it wasn't a problem. I mean, if it isn't broke, fix it anyway, right?

Nothing to worry about there, Belgian.

I'm smart enough not to use any hand-held shredder/vac to vacuum-up wood chips.

Vibe changes on all ope... you can blame the UK for that, and then the EU...

The SH type device is good for where you want to suck up light materials among heavier material, ad a blower isnlt practical - leaves in greenhouses among gravel and plants.. pine needle on patios... sawdust in enclosed graveled gardens... It's not a replacement for a big sewer vac truck!

I have the SH55, I wish I had of went with the SH85. The dealer recommened the 55 over the 85, but left out the better handle and "cruise" control features which would be a nice. Overall it works as intended, its good for sucking leaves from the flower beds and etc.

Last edited:
Ok fellas,

Thanks to all of you who had constuctive replies!

I wound up getting the SH 85 from my local dealer. I already had the BR 600 backpack blower, so will primarily be using it as a vac. I do alot of work around townhomes, yards the size of your kitchen... Lots of landscaping, rock gardens and flower beds etc. Really no where to blow leaves to, no good way to rake them. I figured this vac would be just the ticket.

Anyhow, I used it in my designed application last night, and it did pretty well. While it is slow, it sucked up a bunch of leaves that I never would have been able to rake or blow, so in that regard it did just what I needed it to. It did suck up 4 or 5 chunks of mulch that got hung up in the fan blade, stopping the engine. Though irritating, It wasnt a big deal to pull the vac tube off and dislodge the obstruction with my finger.

It's not a big deal to switch back and forth between blowing and vacuuming, but probably more of a hassle than is worth every day. Last night i didnt bring my big backpack unit for a town home size job, and needed to use a blower, so had to switch. It can be done, but in the interest of time and hassle, I will probably look on e-bay or somewhere for a used BR65 or something if I can find one that I can afford, use that as strictly a handheld blower, and leave the SH 85 set up as a vac.

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice.

Back