Stihl SH85 shredder vac....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So let me get this straight...I send you the 85, and you'll send me back an Efco Ergo????

SWEET!!!!!

Address please!

I guess you better send me your address so I can send you glasses bonehead, no I didn't say that at all, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I send you back a blower in which the tube never comes off, one that runs perfect and one that will not vibrate. Remember your blower better do all these things your claiming or I'm gonna send you back a empty box,LOLOL

Last edited:
Belgian,
Will the SH86 raise the skirt of your neighbor's daughter higher than the SH85? We all await your report!

Dayuuuum, you still remember me bringing that up as an argument to get me a blower, don't ya... :laugh: :laugh:

Well, the summer season has not arrived yet, and chances are getting slim since she has a new friend now....grrrrr.

Part of the problem is the Stihl tube is not only sized incorrectly for the inlet itself, but it's sized incorrectly for the amount of vacuum pressure and velocity generated by the motor. The Toro can be held just over the pile, and it has the velocity to grab the top layer and shred them systematically. The Stihl, on the other hand, has too large a tube, with the resulting drop in velocity, so it practically has to be jammed onto the pile to pick up anything, and when it finally does, it grabs a huge chunk and nearly stalls. The result is that the leaves don't get shredded as finely.

Overall just not a well-engineered unit, which is why Stihl is updating it. It's orange and white, so others will sing its praises to the rafters, but don't believe the hype.

Woody, I don't get it. It seems logical to me that a smaller inlet tube clogs up faster than a wider one :confused: :confused:

Or are you suggesting Stihl should decrease the diameter of the inlet tube to increase air speed ? Fas as I can see, the diameter on the new model is still the same, only the attachment is different, so there was obviously no design improvement needed...

Last edited:
Thanks fellas!

Thanks to everyone who replied! I wasnt expecting quite that firestorm!

I think I will go ahead and get one. I already have a BR600 blower, so I have the blowing covered. I may use this unit for a little blowing, but mainly for the vacuum function. I do work around a lot of townhomes, with tiny living-room-sized lawns with flower beds and shrubbery. that big blower just makes a mess out of everything, and blows the dozen leaves I need to collect into the neighbors yard. If I can vac those few leaves out of the flower beds and behind the shrubs, I'll be in good shape!

It sounds like it is plenty durable for what I need it for!

Again, thanks for all of your help!

Woody, I don't get it. It seems logical to me that a smaller inlet tube clogs up faster than a wider one :confused: :confused:

Or are you suggesting Stihl should decrease the diameter of the inlet tube to increase air speed ? Fas as I can see, the diameter on the new model is still the same, only the attachment is different, so there was obviously no design improvement needed...

The fact that Steal didn't DO one is no indicator whatsoever that they didn't NEED to.

I'm saying that the combination of velocity, airflow, and tube size is out of proportion and causes the unit to suck up gobs of leaves all at once, which it then chokes on, rather taking them up in a steady, lighter stream, which a Toro will.

One expects that kind of engineering from Toro, though. Well-thought-out products have been the hallmark of their existence. It may be that I'm trying to compare an F-18 to a Piper Cub...

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who replied! I wasnt expecting quite that firestorm!

It may seem like a firestorm, but in reality everyone on this thread actually likes everyone else*...we're just givin' each other the business. Ya gotta get used to that on this board! :D

Except for Tom T. Hall...no one likes that outhouse-dwelling scroundel...

It may seem like a firestorm, but in reality everyone on this thread actually likes everyone else*...we're just givin' each other the business. Ya gotta get used to that on this board! :D

Except for Tom T. Hall...no one likes that outhouse-dwelling scroundel...

You Stihl here, I thought you'd be out blowing today with your Stihl blower,LOLOLOLOL

Hey Woodie you make a great salesman for Stihl, I would hire ya but I don't have any short screwdrivers for you to play with, all mine are LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

If I were you, I wouldn't be talking about woodie's iq when he makes such monkeys out of you Stihl boys. :)

Ha! The only :monkey: is Woodie. He blows and huffs about how bad that blower is, yet he Stihl keeps it, LOL.

btw Space, what have you added to this??????

Case Closed.........

Latest posts

Back