Stihl SH85 shredder vac....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Toro electric that will outshred my SH!T85 about 2:1. Not only does it shred the leaves more finely, but it picks them up better to start with.

Yea. I pretty much thought the electric vac would be more powerful than a gas powered. Mine does great like I say. Just in the few places I need it to get the leaves out, because blowing them makes a mess, the cord always gets in the way... If I ever find a good used one, I might try it out, or if I can get my hands on a neighbor's or something, to see... I almost bought an Echo vac last year when they came out with that 5 year warranty thing, but the dealer talked me out of it after he explained what the warranty covers... Not very much.

I think they use clowns, at least I've heard a lot of talk about them working there. :)

You heard that at the customer return counter at HD, that clown told me this is what I need and it's not even a real saw.....................lol

You heard that at the customer return counter at HD, that clown told me this is what I need and it's not even a real saw.....................lol

I like the one where the guy runs out of Lowes, down the street to the Stihl dealer, asks how to start a saw and then runs back to Lowes and explains to his customer what he just learned,LOLOL

Yea. I pretty much thought the electric vac would be more powerful than a gas powered. Mine does great like I say. Just in the few places I need it to get the leaves out, because blowing them makes a mess, the cord always gets in the way... If I ever find a good used one, I might try it out, or if I can get my hands on a neighbor's or something, to see... I almost bought an Echo vac last year when they came out with that 5 year warranty thing, but the dealer talked me out of it after he explained what the warranty covers... Not very much.

As much as Woodie hates his 85, he should sell it to you. That would be your good used unit, I doubt he will though.:ices_rofl: :laugh: :ices_rofl: :laugh: ;)

Part of the problem is the Stihl tube is not only sized incorrectly for the inlet itself, but it's sized incorrectly for the amount of vacuum pressure and velocity generated by the motor. The Toro can be held just over the pile, and it has the velocity to grab the top layer and shred them systematically. The Stihl, on the other hand, has too large a tube, with the resulting drop in velocity, so it practically has to be jammed onto the pile to pick up anything, and when it finally does, it grabs a huge chunk and nearly stalls. The result is that the leaves don't get shredded as finely.

Overall just not a well-engineered unit, which is why Stihl is updating it. It's orange and white, so others will sing its praises to the rafters, but don't believe the hype.

I like the one where the guy runs out of Lowes, down the street to the Stihl dealer, asks how to start a saw and then runs back to Lowes and explains to his customer what he just learned,LOLOL

Then he is back to ask again, after 5 mintues, because the idiot forgot.:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I can see why you don't have any complaints.

Oh I get alot of complaints. Like why won't you work on my Husky saw, why won't you work on my Echo blower. I'm nice about it though, I merely say I don't have any parts for those. Some get ticked and leave, some get smart and buy a Stihl and leave that other brand for me to toss. Hell Space I picked up a real nice 61 Husky a few weeks ago based on what I just told you. He's using a Stihl now and I'm looking for parts, LOLOL

Even if I put it on FreeCycle, I would warn the "buyer" that it isn't worth the money...

Woodie if your really unhappy with that blower send it to me. I can't refund your money but I can fix whatever is wrong with it and send it back to you , free of charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the one where the guy goes in to buy a 361, and the Stihl dealer says "What are you cutting?"

Customer says "You don't understand, I want a 361."

Stihl dealer says "I can sell you the saw, but I can't sell you the chain unless you certify that you are a professional user who has been in the business for 20 years or more, have 4 kids, a blue truck, and sign this waiver that you will not sue me for incompetence. What are you cutting?"

Customer says "You don't understand, I want an operational 361 and I want it now. Keep that nasty coffee mug away from me!"

Stihl dealers says "Ok, I can give you a 361 with no chain but a bow saw so you can practice until you learn how a saw works. Will that be 2 mortgages on your home or 3?"

The door slams as the customer ducks the "servicing" he's been subjected to.

Part of the problem is the Stihl tube is not only sized incorrectly for the inlet itself, but it's sized incorrectly for the amount of vacuum pressure and velocity generated by the motor. The Toro can be held just over the pile, and it has the velocity to grab the top layer and shred them systematically. The Stihl, on the other hand, has too large a tube, with the resulting drop in velocity, so it practically has to be jammed onto the pile to pick up anything, and when it finally does, it grabs a huge chunk and nearly stalls. The result is that the leaves don't get shredded as finely.

Overall just not a well-engineered unit, which is why Stihl is updating it. It's orange and white, so others will sing its praises to the rafters, but don't believe the hype.

I actually agree with you on the tube clogging up. But it does not do it that often when I use it. So I do like the unit.

I like the one where the guy goes in to buy a 361, and the Stihl dealer says "What are you cutting?"

Stihl dealer says "I can sell you the saw, but I can't sell you the chain unless you certify that you are a professional user who has been in the business for 20 years or more, have 4 kids, a blue truck, and sign this waiver that you will not sue me for incompetence. What are you cutting?"

Customer says "You don't understand, I want an operational 361 and I want it now. Keep that nasty coffee mug away from me!"

Stihl dealers says "Ok, I can give you a 361 with no chain but a bow saw so you can practice until you learn how a saw works. Will that be 2 mortgages on your home or 3?"

LOL, how many 361's do you own?

LOLOL, good one. I read a thread on here somewhere where the guy said the dealer would not sell him a full chisel chain. I never commented in that thread because on our rack thats the only choice you have, full chisel or nothing, take your choice, babysitting is not our job....

Woodie if your really unhappy with that blower send it to me. I can't refund your money but I can fix whatever is wrong with it and send it back to you , free of charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So let me get this straight...I send you the 85, and you'll send me back an Efco Ergo????

SWEET!!!!!

Address please!

Latest posts

Back