Stihl SH85 shredder vac....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the new screw on blower tube is a sensible improvement. In my limited experience of fixing SH/BG 85's you will usually find that a well used unit has had the user modification of a couple self tapping screws to keep the tube on.

This is necessary because the inlet tube is poorly sized to the inlet, and the tube vibrates off after roughly 20 or 30 seconds.

If your deadset on the 85, get lots of duct tape, cause it won't stay on.

Just remind him should he ever decide to adjust the carb use a long screwdriver, not a short one like Woody tried,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Don't mind Tommy...he's going straight to hell...

I think the Echo units are superior to the Stihl in both engineering and construction, but the Efco is the champ right now in handheld blower vacs. The Stihl will vibrate your friggin' arm off after about five minutes...the Efco goes so far as to have actual antivibration built in. It's also more powerful, and as I recall doesn't have a cat converter like the Stihl.

Stay away from the Stihl...value-engineered rubbish if you ask me.

I've been thinking about getting the SH-85 too. I currently use a corded Black and Decker Leaf Hog. Works very good for what I use it for, until the cord gets in the way. Hate that cord! I have blowers, so I just want it for the leaf vac/shreader. My Leaf Hog has taken a lot of abuse. Twigs, rocks, mostly leaves... But still keeps ticking. The one think I'm curious about is the performace of vaccuming vs. an electric like I have. I'm impressed with the Leaf Hog and if I got the same performance without the cord... I'm all over it. Anybody feel the same about the SH-85, (very happy with the vaccuming)? All the searching I've done about the SH-85 is people using it as a blower and they're happy with it. Just like the earlier post above... I've got blowers...

I've got a Toro electric that will outshred my SH!T85 about 2:1. Not only does it shred the leaves more finely, but it picks them up better to start with.

I was thinking of exploring other brands, but shucks, I really didn't want to piss anyone off.......................................................

You all know me............The Meek,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Inherit what??????????????????????

Got stung by a wasp an hour ago, so the 7 Benadryl I took are just kickin in.

75 degrees here, you guys????

This is necessary because the inlet tube is poorly sized to the inlet, and the tube vibrates off after roughly 20 or 30 seconds.

If your deadset on the 85, get lots of duct tape, cause it won't stay on.

Don't mind Tommy...he's going straight to hell...

I think the Echo units are superior to the Stihl in both engineering and construction, but the Efco is the champ right now in handheld blower vacs. The Stihl will vibrate your friggin' arm off after about five minutes...the Efco goes so far as to have actual antivibration built in. It's also more powerful, and as I recall doesn't have a cat converter like the Stihl.

Stay away from the Stihl...value-engineered rubbish if you ask me.

It falls off after only 20-30 seconds, hmmmmmmmmm, I run each and everyone much longer than that at time of sale, none have come off.

I've yet to have a 120lb woman complain about the vibration levels of the
SH85 or BG85, more less a man. You say your arm falls off in five minutes, glad my women customers aren't a sissy like you,LOLOL

The Home Depot brand you speak of, Echo, is just that , Home Depot brand. On the same rack with the Poulans and Macs and Homelites, take your chocie, they all come in a box, no dealers anywhere to back them or get a part from. They all got a warranty but no one around to honor it, what a joke, hehe, the truth and only the truth baby.

Efco, whats Efco, oh, that brand made in Italy, I heard they are made out of dried spagetti,LOL Ok that was a lie, I have never seen one like millions of others have never seen one. Where can you buy one of those??,hehe

Finally he didn't ask you fool,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I was thinking of exploring other brands, but shucks, I really didn't want to piss anyone off.......................................................

You all know me............The Meek,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Inherit what??????????????????????

Got stung by a wasp an hour ago, so the 7 Benadryl I took are just kickin in.

75 degrees here, you guys????

44...:chainsaw:

Judging from the pics, it's not retrofittable. It's an improvement, but only if you are taking the inlet tube off regularly. If you leave it on, there's no advantage at all. It was not a biggy enough for me to postpone my purchase. Up to you.

Belgian,
Will the SH86 raise the skirt of your neighbor's daughter higher than the SH85? We all await your report!

It falls off after only 20-30 seconds, hmmmmmmmmm, I run each and everyone much longer than that at time of sale, none have come off.

You want me to post a video? Cause I'll be happy to. Don't want to make you look the fool, though.

Sorry...more the fool... :D

The Home Depot brand you speak of, Echo, is just that , Home Depot brand. On the same rack with the Poulans and Macs and Homelites, take your chocie, they all come in a box, no dealers anywhere to back them or get a part from. They all got a warranty but no one around to honor it, what a joke, hehe, the truth and only the truth baby.

Funny, I have an Echo dealer one mile away from me. An excellent dealer, too. Carries only the best...Toro, Kawasaki, Ferris, Mclane, Brown, Shindaiwa, Echo, Redmax, Mantis, Husqvarna, Little Wonder, Tanaka.

Got a service desk manned by two guys at all times. Know what they're doing, too.

Efco, whats Efco, oh, that brand made in Italy, I heard they are made out of dried spagetti,LOL Ok that was a lie, I have never seen one like millions of others have never seen one. Where can you buy one of those??,hehe

Funny...I have to drive yet an extra mile, for a total of two to you, Tommy, to get to the Efco dealer. Of course, you would expect him to carry Efco. He only carries the VERY best.

Efco and Jred.

You want me to post a video? Cause I'll be happy to. Don't want to make you look the fool, though.

Sorry...more the fool... :D

Funny, I have an Echo dealer one mile away from me. An excellent dealer, too. Carries only the best...Toro, Kawasaki, Ferris, Mclane, Brown, Shindaiwa, Echo, Redmax, Mantis, Husqvarna, Little Wonder, Tanaka.

Got a service desk manned by two guys at all times. Know what they're doing, too.

Funny...I have to drive yet an extra mile, for a total of two to you, Tommy, to get to the Efco dealer. Of course, you would expect him to carry Efco. He only carries the VERY best.

Efco and Jred.

Ha, what your describing is a dealer that doesn't carry the best, Stihl, because he can't, must be a Stihl dealer nearby, the place where you bought yours,LOLOL

Ha, what your describing is a dealer that doesn't carry the best, Stihl, because he can't, must be a Stihl dealer nearby, the place where you bought yours,LOLOL

Like I said, those two dealers only carry the BEST. What want would they have of Steal?

Besides, he doesn't want to compete with all the fish farms, dentist offices, and drug stores that deal Stihl around here.

Tommy, aren't you DONE with this butt-kickin'? My leg's gettin' tired, and my foot's kinda sore...

Plus my boot's startin' to smell like azz...

Like I said, those two dealers only carry the BEST. What want would they have of Steal?

Besides, he doesn't want to compete with all the fish farms, dentist offices, and drug stores that deal Stihl around here.

Tommy, aren't you DONE with this butt-kickin'? My leg's gettin' tired, and my foot's kinda sore...

Plus my boot's startin' to smell like azz...

Awwwwwwwwwww what a smart cat you are, hows that SH85 of yours,LOLOL

You keep talking them boys up but your over at the Stihl dealer buying a blower,:monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Ouch, that put your azz on the canvas bigtime now didn't it, :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a BG85 and think it's a awesome machine. I tried the biggest echo blower and went with the 85. It has about 15 tanks through it now, no problems.

It will not take the place of a backpack blower though, the BR600 blows just as strong as Woodie.:clap:

I have a BG85 and think it's a awesome machine. I tried the biggest echo blower and went with the 85. It has about 15 tanks through it now, no problems.

It will not take the place of a backpack blower though, the BR600 blows just as strong as Woodie.:clap:

I don't know about that. Manny said he blows pretty good.:)

Awwwwwwwwwww what a smart cat you are, hows that SH85 of yours,LOLOL

You keep talking them boys up but your over at the Stihl dealer buying a blower,:monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Ouch, that put your azz on the canvas bigtime now didn't it, :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Yup...I gave Steal a try. But you know what they say..."Fool me once, f%ck you."

I'll have to return it to the same dealer, though. That or eBay it.

Nah....I've got too much conscience to eBay it. FreeCycle, yeah.

Back