stihl warranty problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So he set off the brake on the 10th post and then proceeded to melt the saw housing, the issue is simple just like your friend. Don't know what the warranty policy is where you are but where I am warranty doesn't cover and can't fix stupid....

So no video?????

You could title it: A hunka, hunka, burnin' saw!!!!!

So no video?????

You could title it: A hunka, hunka, burnin' saw!!!!!

:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

Fish your a cruel man, asking to melt a saw on purpose, grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Breaking the golden rule is what ruined that man's day, whats the golden rule, if its not cutting then cut it off. Same goes for dull chains or any reason its not cutting, cut it off is the first thing you do.

Reminds me of the hot shot lawyer that brought me a fairly new 029 with the housing melted. After pulling a Judge Roy Bean on his lying azz he finally fessed up with this, he said well his wife was the one using it and did it. I said sure she did. He had to payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and boy did it he,LOL

When you rev the saw and the chain doesn't turn, the clutch is turning, otherwise the saw would die/stop, and it generates heat very quickly.

Someone not used to the saw/brake trying to gun it to unstick it can melt
plastic quickly.

+1 for me here. Many of these generation Stihl saws have this occurence of those running them with the chain brake on (or at least trying to). Many MS250's and others in this genre (021, 023, 025) have been left on the bone pile at shops because the clutch side casing is fried. A number of the parts saws on Ebaby have been laid aside for this reason. I would not say it was a warranty issue, although you may be able to strongarm your way through it. Just my 2 cents worth.

hot saw

perhaps i should explain that the saw was still cutting with the chain brake on , it was slow but cutting , when i went over with my saw the last post was half cut through . the guy is a complete novice with saws but is pretty handy with anything he does . my beef is that if stihl is selling a saw that does not have a chain brake that stops the chain and it kicks back which is a fairly likely scenario with complete novices then they should definitely not be selling them homeowner saws . if it was your wife or child injured by a non functioning chainbrake what would you be saying to the stihl rep .no one was hurt this time but i intend to ask stihl to amend their advertising if their chainbrakes are not fully functioning . cheap and stupid comments about stupidity would look pretty stupid as you explain to someone how their wife was injured by a not functioning chainbrake

ps , perhaps its all a simple mistake , i thought that a chainbrake was a chainbrake , i now realise that it is not a chainbrake but a clutch housing heater (melter) and if so perhaps they should rename it .

Last edited:
Are you sure he did'nt engage the CB halfway thru the last cut, then throw the gas to it without unlocking the brake, causing the big meltdown? Just trying to get the facts here. I'm not against you. The CB could have been faulty, letting the chain still turn. Not likely but, I have seen a few idiots try to run thier saw with the CB on. I seen one guy gas it for at least a straght minute, but no smoke and no meltdown. How long did he try to continue cutting with the brake on?

Your man that is "pretty handy with anything he does" is lacking common sense. Warning lables that most of us feel are laughable are neccessitated by people like your friend. He doesn't seem to "have a feel" for power equipment. I bet he would drive a car with the parking brake engaged if there was not a red light to warn him. Stick up for him all you want but he didn't do several things to help himself. The owners manual covers this and he should have read it because, by your own words, he didn't have chainsaw experience.

Info about burnt up stihl from stihl employee

I work at Stihl on a chainsaw assembly line.

When the chain brake is left on, and the saw is kept at full throttle, the clutch slips inside the chain sprocket. The chain sprocket does not move, but the heat generated from the clutch slipping will melt all of the surrounding plastic. It takes around 1-3 minutes for this to happen....if you are starting with a cold saw. With a hot saw...probably 1 minute.

IMHO, your friend was not cutting wood when this happened...he was laying on the throttle with the brake on.

And as always, when you buy any new product, you should read the owner's manual before using the product.

I work at Stihl on a chainsaw assembly line.

When the chain brake is left on, and the saw is kept at full throttle, the clutch slips inside the chain sprocket. The chain sprocket does not move, but the heat generated from the clutch slipping will melt all of the surrounding plastic. It takes around 1-3 minutes for this to happen....if you are starting with a cold saw. With a hot saw...probably 1 minute.

IMHO, your friend was not cutting wood when this happened...he was laying on the throttle with the brake on.

And as always, when you buy any new product, you should read the owner's manual before using the product.

Thats what I'm saying, I've seen guys hold the gas to a braked saw for at least a minute. Don't make since why anyone would do that if it's not cutting. If thats what this guy did, I'd buy him an electric chainsaw next time, he's gonna get hurt.

perhaps i should explain that the saw was still cutting with the chain brake on , it was slow but cutting , when i went over with my saw the last post was half cut through . the guy is a complete novice with saws but is pretty handy with anything he does . my beef is that if stihl is selling a saw that does not have a chain brake that stops the chain and it kicks back which is a fairly likely scenario with complete novices then they should definitely not be selling them homeowner saws . if it was your wife or child injured by a non functioning chainbrake what would you be saying to the stihl rep .no one was hurt this time but i intend to ask stihl to amend their advertising if their chainbrakes are not fully functioning . cheap and stupid comments about stupidity would look pretty stupid as you explain to someone how their wife was injured by a not functioning chainbrake

ps , perhaps its all a simple mistake , i thought that a chainbrake was a chainbrake , i now realise that it is not a chainbrake but a clutch housing heater (melter) and if so perhaps they should rename it .

Perhaps you best go read your first post and compare it with this one. Are you now saying your buddy cut off 9 posts with the brake on? , ha, that saw would have melted long before the 9th post. He got half way through number 10 before the saw stopped, hmmm, and how long did he attempt to make it go through that post, you wasn't there, he brought the saw to you after he melted it. Seems your pulling for your friend to get a free fix and thats cool, not likely to happen but may.

Far as the brake system goes on that saw its basicly the same system used on most all Stihl saws. The big 660 can't turn the chain with the brake on and it has 7hp, the bigger 880 can't turn the chain with the brake on either. That said we know dayuuum well a little 210 isn't going to turn the chain with the brake on at less than 3hp. There is nothing wrong with the Stihl brake system, its fool proof except when a fool tries to make the chain go with it on, you seen the results didn't you. You can tell Stihl all you like about the brake system, they will listen and after you leave they will grin and go on. For your info there is not a modern saw made today from any maker than can spin the chain with the brake on, its the law of the land...

perhaps i should explain that the saw was still cutting with the chain brake on , it was slow but cutting .

How can you make that statement??? You were not there.

After he cooked the saw, then the chain would turn with the chain brake activated? Is that the case?

If it got hot enough, the pins that hold the brake band will loosen since the plastic they are set in is molten/soft, but the whole scenario you are
trying to assert is totally absurd. You trying to start a world-class action lawsuit where there is absolutely no evidence?

Stupid is as stupid does. Why in the hell would you lay on the trigger long enough to melt a saw down. Good lord, the noise signature of the saw should have told him somehting was wrong, was his eyes open, smoke would bound to come out of the case, the smell should have told him something, most of the brain/body's sensory methods should have been red flags that something was wrong before he toasted it. This guy needs to get a handsaw, to blame Stihl is ludicrous. It's what's wrong with this world, sometimes you have to be big enough to say I screwed up, and take responsibility for your actions.

How can you make that statement??? You were not there.

After he cooked the saw, then the chain would turn with the chain brake activated? Is that the case?

If it got hot enough, the pins that hold the brake band will loosen since the plastic they are set in is molten/soft, but the whole scenario you are
trying to assert is totally absurd. You trying to start a world-class action lawsuit where there is absolutely no evidence?

Fish some folks are determined man. The guy zipped off 9 posts, on the 10th he set off the brake somehow and kept at it and melted the housing trying to get through that 10th post. He goes to his friend and says this dayumm saw isn't acting right, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,LOLOL

Fish maybe I should make that va ditty o afterall. You being the kind hearted fellow that you are I'm certain you will send me a replacement housing won't you, Fish you there, where are you Fish,LOLOL

I would bet that since you started this thread 16 hours ago, Stihl has sold several hundred of those saws worldwide. That is the same brake system that has been installed on all 1123 saws (021/023/025/ms210/230/250) with the exception of the handle return spring being a flat type spring on some of the early ones. So they have been selling a few hundred of these every day since the 1980's and just now problems are surfacing as that model is being discontinued? I suppose a lemon could slip through, but I doubt it. That would be like finding a car with faulty seatbelts. I doubt the boys in VA beach would want that liability hanging over them.

If your friend screwed up, it's OK. Those things happen. There was a guy here recently who wrecked his brand new 372 big bore kit by leaving the circlips on top of the piston. I have screwed up more hundreds of times than I can remember (just ask my wife.) I'd say that it is time to start looking on ebay for an engine cradle assy. Maybe if he's nice at the dealer, the guy will feel bad and cut him in cheap on the parts. Might be a good opportunity to change over to an 021 tank if he doesn't like the flippy caps.

Stupid is as stupid does. Why in the hell would you lay on the trigger long enough to melt a saw down. Good lord, the noise signature of the saw should have told him somehting was wrong, was his eyes open, smoke would bound to come out of the case, the smell should have told him something, most of the brain/body's sensory methods should have been red flags that something was wrong before he toasted it. This guy needs to get a handsaw, to blame Stihl is ludicrous. It's what's wrong with this world, sometimes you have to be big enough to say I screwed up, and take responsibility for your actions.

Its no biggie Spring , hell at the shop I have at least 5-10 saws a year come in with the owner hollering the chain won't turn. I've heard it so many times I now just reach over and CLICK and say it will now. Most take it well and admit I can't beleive I overlooked that. Some go what did you do, some get mad, some wanna argu and they're the ones who leave wishing they hadn't,LOL

Its no biggie Spring , hell at the shop I have at least 5-10 saws a year come in with the owner hollering the chain won't turn. I've heard it so many times I now just reach over and CLICK and say it will now. Most take it well and admit I can't beleive I overlooked that. Some go what did you do, some get mad, some wanna argu and they're the ones who leave wishing they hadn't,LOL

Its that the type of customers you service. No wonder you video's are backwards. Hello old friend

Its that the type of customers you service. No wonder you video's are backwards. Hello old friend

Well well well lookie here, its Booker. I heard ya coming back ole boy, good. Bout dayummm time this place had some fun threads, get ready punk, your hiny is mine. Where's my camera, dayummmm I can't wait to lay a smack down on your ole hide,hehehe

How ya feeling Booker, are you back to good health now, I hope so, you been away too long, good to see you up and about,:cheers::cheers:

Well well well lookie here, its Booker. I heard ya coming back ole boy, good. Bout dayummm time this place had some fun threads, get ready punk, your hiny is mine. Where's my camera, dayummmm I can't wait to lay a smack down on your ole hide,hehehe

How ya feeling Booker, are you back to good health now, I hope so, you been away too long, good to see you up and about,:cheers::cheers:

Now I heard there hasn't been a good vid sense I left. We need to get this place going back to the glory days. I let you have free run to long. LOL

Health has been a day to day fight. You know me though. I will beat it in the A$$.

Latest posts

Back