stihl warranty problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey indiansprings

you must be able to see through space and time to be so sure of something you did not see , also for your dumb assumption that i knew he had even bought the saw you are just as far off the planet. the saw was bought by his partner as a surprise and i only found out about it after it stopped .

ps when was the last time you visited a stihl factory and when did they become infallible .

you must be able to see through space and time to be so sure of something you did not see , also for your dumb assumption that i knew he had even bought the saw you are just as far off the planet. the saw was bought by his partner as a surprise and i only found out about it after it stopped .

ps when was the last time you visited a stihl factory and when did they become infallible .

I've got some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

Try buying a new truck and parking it on the railroad tracks in the first 15 minutes and see if the dealer will replace it for you. That's the equivalent of what you're asking.

Joining the rush to judgment? I'm surprised, Space, I'd have thought you'd be intrigued by the possibility of gray area. The common assumption is that there are only two states for the chain brake: on, in which state the chain cannot turn, or off, in which the brake offers no resistance. Although not with a Stihl (which might get my evidence thrown out), I've experienced a third state: off, but making slight contact, which could explain the plaintiff's damaged saw without inculpating him on the counts of gross negligence and ignorance, as well as the count of perjury. How many acquittals have been won by suggesting a plausible alternative?

Jack

Last edited:
This would be really simple to prove one way or .............. Post up a high resolution photo of said "faulty" brake band & sprocket outer rim. If the clutch/sprocket drum was indeed spinning within a closed/on brake for any length of time it will be fairly evident. The only time I've seen this happen is with a well used & abused saw and the brake band was either broken or mis-shaped from abuse.

Is the story possible? Yes. Likely? No. :givebeer:

This would be really simple to prove one way or .............. Post up a high resolution photo of said "faulty" brake band & sprocket outer rim. If the clutch/sprocket drum was indeed spinning within a closed/on brake for any length of time it will be fairly evident. The only time I've seen this happen is with a well used & abused saw and the brake band was either broken or mis-shaped from abuse.

Is the story possible? Yes. Likely? No. :givebeer:

Good point. Photos might not be conclusive, but at least we'd have a ball game. Sherlock Holmes said, "Eliminate the impossible and what remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Or something like that. John believes it impossible that his friend is not telling the truth that he was cutting while the saw melted. The majority of the audience thinks it impossible that a new saw could have a chain brake malfunction and that the friend must have cooked the saw by revving it with the brake on.

Jack

hey spacemule , re waterfront

is it deep water frontage , i have an unsinkable ocean going ship i need to renovate

ps love those experts

Last edited:
Photos would be good. I would ask for a photo of the clutch drum drive surface area and outer drum edge, chain drive links and bar tip in addition to the previously mentioned damaged areas.

In terms of melting the plastic case, it happens. I have not seen an example of it on that series of saws that was not serious operator error.

These saws do not have the learning margin that the old saws had. The distance to severe damage is much less than the old days.

The majority of the audience thinks it impossible that a new saw could have a chain brake malfunction and that the friend must have cooked the saw by revving it with the brake on.

Jack

Impossible? Um, no. Highly unlikely? Yes.

Is it ultimately possible that a (one) chainsaw left the factory with a faulty safety device through quality control? Sure, stuff happens. To condemn an entire manufacturer and entire line of power equipment because of one incident that was not even witnessed by the complainant is............ shall we say.........suspect.:rant:

Impossible? Um, no. Highly unlikely? Yes.

Is it ultimately possible that a (one) chainsaw left the factory with a faulty safety device through quality control? Sure, stuff happens. To condemn an entire manufacturer and entire line of power equipment because of one incident that was not even witnessed by the complainant is............ shall we say.........suspect.:rant:

I'd say it's more natural than suspect. We all extrapolate, it's a survival skill that allows us to make certain predictions. I guess doing it publicly is human nature, too. As for the chain brake, I never said what happened to my Ryobi happened to the Stihl in question, and certainly I pass no judgment on Stihls, I've been mostly happy with mine. But just because something is unlikely doesn't mean it can be dismissed. As Carl Sagan said, given an infinite universe, anything not specifically prohibited by the laws of nature is mandatory. We don't have an infinite number of users here, but it's a fairly large sample, and since most people (or their friends, increasing the sample size) seem to post mainly their gripes it's just a matter of time before everything that can possibly go wrong with a saw, does.

My first thought reading this thread was that Tom was right, the guy set the brake by accident, kept mashing the trigger, smoke, done. Happens every day, and nobody wants to admit to it. But John said no, his friend is a stand up guy, that's not the way it happened. What he said happened, that the saw SLOWED DOWN AS he was cutting, then stopped, would be far more improbable if the brake were accidentally set than either the possibility that the brake was making partial contact in the off position or that he revising his personal history in order to avoid admitting his mistake. Ergo, either the brake band was making partial contact or history is being revised. We may have our suspicions, but the door is open for further evidence to decide the issue. In any case, I think it's more interesting to think about ways an unlikely event could happen than simply to join in berating the owner.

Jack

ps love those experts

Sounds like you welcome any thoughts as long as they agree with you.........

I have worked for Stihl dealers off and on for 20 years and have seen a lot of
things, and I am the first to go to bat for the customer. But like I said, in 20
years I have seen and heard a lot.

So I have a pretty good idea what happened.

Yes, if you and your friend raise enough stink, you will get the saw
fixed for free, at least you would here in the states.

I have seen a lot of that too......

That's it Fish. He came on here expecting loads of backup to take to a dealer/rep and telling them that this forum has experienced users and look, they say Stihl should pay. When that didn't happen John got upset with us as a transfer of his anger. My opinion only, others may vary.

I remember back a couple years ago I had an 025 that somehow got a sliver of wood jammed between the casing and brake band causing it to rub against the drum, which in turn heated the clutch and discolored the plastic surounding it. The saw didn't run any differant and I didn't find the damage until I was cleaning the saw to put it away. My sliver of wood was still lodged in place when I removed the clutch cover, but had it fallen out on it's own I would have been stumped. And anyone looking would assume I was an idiot, and ran the saw with the chain brake engaged.
The drum and brake band didn't show any signs of wear or galling up. They must have made just enough contact to generate a little heat and spread thru the housing.

I'd say it's more natural than suspect. We all extrapolate, it's a survival skill that allows us to make certain predictions. I guess doing it publicly is human nature, too. As for the chain brake, I never said what happened to my Ryobi happened to the Stihl in question, and certainly I pass no judgment on Stihls, I've been mostly happy with mine. But just because something is unlikely doesn't mean it can be dismissed. As Carl Sagan said, given an infinite universe, anything not specifically prohibited by the laws of nature is mandatory. We don't have an infinite number of users here, but it's a fairly large sample, and since most people (or their friends, increasing the sample size) seem to post mainly their gripes it's just a matter of time before everything that can possibly go wrong with a saw, does.

My first thought reading this thread was that Tom was right, the guy set the brake by accident, kept mashing the trigger, smoke, done. Happens every day, and nobody wants to admit to it. But John said no, his friend is a stand up guy, that's not the way it happened. What he said happened, that the saw SLOWED DOWN AS he was cutting, then stopped, would be far more improbable if the brake were accidentally set than either the possibility that the brake was making partial contact in the off position or that he revising his personal history in order to avoid admitting his mistake. Ergo, either the brake band was making partial contact or history is being revised. We may have our suspicions, but the door is open for further evidence to decide the issue. In any case, I think it's more interesting to think about ways an unlikely event could happen than simply to join in berating the owner.

Jack

Don't want to make this "our" thread, but we seem to be having some ether-disconnect in comms. Nothing major, but a little clarification is in order. On the surface I do not wholly disagree with your stance.

Was not inferring that YOU were condemning Stihl, but the OP. Even IF this particular Stihl is defect in manufacture from the factory, this one incident does not warrant the stopage of production of the particular family line of saws nor for Stihl to stop marketing the safety of their saws in general. To me that demand from the OP is completely ridiculous and deserves a little bit of skepticism. If he takes a few jabs for this rant too, oh well. When you post stuff like this in an open forum that's what happens......:monkey:

Not actually being present at the incident in question reduces the legitimacy of his story, regardless of how "good" a friend the gent is. I've heard many friend stories that cover, or leave out many of the key elements. Kind of the nature of second and third party story telling. At the end of the day I don't know what the OP was expecting to accomplish with his post as it's not really his fight and we are in no position to support his claim. It seemed more a shot across the bow than a request for assistance, but I'll admit that forum posts are tough to read intent sometimes. The evidence will tell all with the event, take it in to either get it fixed/replaced or take the lesson and walk away. No berating here, but the demands to stop production and/or marketing is just a tad off the mark regardless of where the fault lies..............:dizzy:

:cheers:

Howdy,
Lets face it, if this was some off brand saw, this thread would have died many posts ago. Like I said way back in the beginning, the brake band will tell the story. If it's not damaged, it's operator error. If the band is damaged all the around the circumference, Stihl's got an issue. I've seen a bunch of melt downs on different manufacturers where the customer pulled the cover with the chain brake engaged. This puts a twist in the band and causes it to rub. This condition can also be determined by the brake band because the wear on the band will be towards the saw in one spot, and 180 degrees away it'll be away from the saw. If it was a chip or a twig between the band and the housing, the rub will be in one spot. Hopefully some photos will show up soon.
Regards
Gregg

Half the older Huskys I get have had the clutch cover installed somehow with the brake on and they proceed to burn the band out of it.

I always get the new guy saying it wont go back on, not to often do they get it on and then it's a real pain in the keester.

you shoulda bought a husqvarna!

Well even with the stihl broken he still was able to cut with it. it can happen to huskys to there brake band is stupidly on the clutch Cover with a big spring always compressed until the brakes on. So it's more prone to fateige and f
failure, and it sucks replacing the spring

rupedoggy and fish

1/ rupedoggy i am not at all angry about the response but a little puzzled about the number of insults thrown ,not that it bothers me as most are way off the mark , i am am telling you as it was told to me and i have no reason to doubt him.

2/ fish , here you are so far off the mark its laughable , discussion in any form is my meat and veg (not keen on fish), especially when its a disagreement , could not give a rats ass if you dont agree (thinking about it i would probably be worried if you did agree)

3/ i agree that photos would clearly show what happened but do not have the saw as i dropped it back to the place where his girl bought it.they were stihl agents but apparently are switching to oleo mac . if it had been brought fom the main stihl agent in town(great service) this would have been resolved long ago but it was complicated by the shop he bought it from getting out of stihls.

4/ the guy just wanted a saw that ran , i will loan him one of mine .

5/as for the expected support , i have been following this site for long enough to realise some would 'nt support the hair on their head if they could avoid it

ps talking about newbies in such a dismissive way isnt a great way to welcome them to your product

pps still waiting for details on arizona waterfront

Last edited:
I think bashing the saw brand is what's getting you so much heat bro. Heck, it kinda ticks me a little, considering I have ran Stihls that we're bought by my dad when I was still an oyster. The bashing was unnessessary. I have ran enough good Stihls and even Huskys for that matter, to know that if something went wrong that it was more than likely a solitary incident or error on my part. Why bash a brand that has always did you right because of one incident?

What about your saw (460?) does it let you down or does it come thru when you need it?

Last edited:
How am I off the mark, and what insults have I thrown?

You are purporting that your friend was using his new saw, and the chain brake engaged, and it did not sufficiently retard his cutting enough for him to stop and see what was wrong with his NEW saw, and that melted the saw down.

Most likely, he tripped the chain brake on the 10th post, and being determined
he kept revving the saw until it melted the crankcase and bearing.

If you put a new bearing in it, and ran the saw, would it cut?

Then with that in mind, if after running, and you engaged the chain brake,
could you cut a log, twig?

You have come here wanting input/responses, I have given mine, but you have no pics, just your secondhand account.
Sorry, I cannot jump on your little bandwagon.
Maybe if you could support your assertions in any way, you may have more support.

Latest posts

Back