String trimmer choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Not exactly chainsaw related, but I would guess most of you Stihl chainsaw owners also buy other Stihl OPE.
I am looking for a high quality string trimmer, for the most part I have it reduced down to the FS110 or FS130 although I am open to suggestions. It is just for homeowner use on 3 acres, but I am sick of junk and want to get a pro model. Also, has anyone used the models with bicycle type handlebars? It seems like a good idea but I would have to hold one to be sure.
Thanks in advance for your ideas, suggestions, and recommendations.

hi, I've never used any strimmer lower than 40cc, so can't really advise you on the model to get! But after having used those with bike handles, I would never go back to D shape except for on really steep banks, the rest of the time bike handles are much better as they allow you to get more of a sycthe type action.

If you want to get a plane to the UK, you can hold mine to see how the handles feel....

cheers,
Joe

But after having used those with bike handles, I would never go back to D shape except for on really steep banks, the rest of the time bike handles are much better as they allow you to get more of a sycthe type action.

If you want to get a plane to the UK, you can hold mine to see how the handles feel....

cheers,
Joe

I'd love to, but that would really cut into my trimmer budget :D Hopefully the local dealer has one for me to check out. I should get there later this week.

echo

i baught one a year ago its nice. i was able to get a great deal at the local home center. get a straight shaft. also i wanted a Tanaka. probably the best weed wip ever made. used it working at a school district for 4 years. but 2 to 3 times more then the echo.

I bought a stihl FS 87 with bike handles and am really pleased with it. I would not like to be without the bike handle now.
Geoff.
:cheers:

I have a Stihl FS 90 with the bike handles and love it. I have 2 acres and it handles everything I can throw at it. The only time it felt under powered was when I cleaned up around our mailboxes and had to mow down some grass that was about five feet tall. The long grass got wrapped around the head and it didn't have the power to clear itself of the big mats. I love the sound and torque of the 4-mix motor. It also sips the fuel. My neighbor who has five acres of nastiness also bought one the day after he borrowed mine. You dont really gain that much hp stepping up to the 110, so if your gonna spend the money to get a bigger one, I'd get the 130. Again though, unless you have some major cleanup to do I really think the FS 90 would do you just fine.

RL

Shindaiwa

Most of the big name trimmers work well, but I am partial to Shindaiwa. I have never had a problem with any of mine.

I hate to admit such blasphemy, but my string trimmer is a RedMax. The Stihl dealer in town at the time I bought the RedMax was REALLY BAAAaaaad...........

We since got a better Stihl dealer nearby, but I don't regret my RedMax trimmer. It's a gear head model with beaucoup power and a good string head. I've said several times that I should leave it my pickup so that if my engine ever dies I can pull the driveshaft and connect it to the differential yoke and then drive on home.

If I ever wear this one out, my next one will be a Stihl unless Stihl gives the product line back to the old dealer.

I work as shop mechanic, equipment manager for a decent sized Lawn Maintenance/construction company. The Shindaiwa's are some of the best line trimmers out there along with redmax and Kawasaki. Stihl trimmers have plenty of power they are somewhat similar to the chainsaw's (they always need tuning and maintenance).

Last edited:
If you can get a Kawasaki, I strongly recommend them! Mine feels a lot more powerful than the equivalent Stihl FS450, the tank lasts longer, and it's more accommodating for taller people with a longer shaft, at 6'4" this makes a lot of difference to me!

however, I've been told you can't get them in the US, don't know how accurate this is if it applies to all the States or not.

cheers,
Joe

Not exactly chainsaw related, but I would guess most of you Stihl chainsaw owners also buy other Stihl OPE.
I am looking for a high quality string trimmer, for the most part I have it reduced down to the FS110 or FS130 although I am open to suggestions. It is just for homeowner use on 3 acres, but I am sick of junk and want to get a pro model. Also, has anyone used the models with bicycle type handlebars? It seems like a good idea but I would have to hold one to be sure.

I use an FS 90 with Bicycle handlebars, with a string trimmer, and a saw blade. IMO you can't go wrong with either of the two you are looking at. I would get the FS 130 if price is not a barrier. You will not be disappointed.

Also if you are going to use a saw blade on it the bicycle handlebars are a must for safety and control.

Last edited:
Stihl FS90, 110 or 130 would be fine. I got the 100RX and love it, just can't run a blade on it. We just got a Shinny 242 at work and the trimmer head fell apart after the first 20 mintues of use. The dealer fixed it under warranty though, seems to be working fine now. I hope it lasts, tried to talk them into a FS110.:D

All depends on what you intend to do with your trimmer. Regarding handle choice: the bike handles are nice for open flat areas like trimming a fence line. They are cumbersome and difficult to operate around structures and up or down slopes. You also need to put on a harness to use the trimmer and you need to remove the trimmer from the harness to re-start, restring, advance string or move an object. The D handle is much easier to use for light yard work and most of the kombi attachments (for the 110 or 130) work on a D handle, but if you intend to run a blade you should get the bike handle.

The fs130 is plenty powerful but it makes for a lousy grass trimmer. Mine (and others I have talked to) runs either at idle or full throttle. Trying to feather the throttle is difficult. I like to run trimmers with just enough whip to cut the grass. This stimmer is difficult to operate this way. If you run em full bore, you will be all set with this thing. From what I am told, the fs110 has better throttle control but I have not tried one to confirm. The fs130 also features a dixy cup for a fuel tank.

Most pros in my area run echos or redmax. Best trimmer I have ever used was the old shindaiwa T270. Powerful, comfortable and built to last. They used to have a rubber D grip front handle that cut vibes way down. I also like my fs250(s) but I think they are dead and gone too. Good luck on your choice.

I just bought my first Stihl product last week. I got a KM56 Kombi-system with the curved shaft string head, and the straight shaft brush head. Up until now, I have had a little weed-eater ultra-light single string. It's always started & run great, but never correctly advanced the string & was low on power. My 5YO son has adopted it now.

I have 13 + acres and about 250+ fence posts, I went through at least 2 troy built weedeaters a year..Got tired of that and bought a husqvarna Pro Model 326L string trimmer....This Thing IS A BushHog On A Stick. It will cut a 18" wide Path in most anything. I smile Everytime I use it, It Amazes Me. it's light and Nasty, does most work at half throttle or less, but the explosive powerband is just a trigger pull away :)....(I have never tried any Stihls, But I am more than happy with the husky)

I have a D handle FS 80 and a Bike handled FS 130. The 130 is a good machine and I have cleared several 1.5+ acre lots with it. Regularly scheduled jobs mind you - clear the whole lot with the 130 because heavy machinery cannot be used - cutting anything from short grass all the way up to dense wetland type grasses, weeds, blackberries, brush, saplings etc.

I have also done work in the woods with the machine as well, clearing out trails, finding wellheads, property corners, etc. It is a great property maintenance machine given the versatility of blades and heads you can use.

I run the 25-2 head, the Polycut head, grass blade, and the brush knife on it and the machine has done everything I have needed it to do. If you plan to use anything other than the 25-2, I would get a bike handle. I also removed the guard on my 130 and bought a FS 80 guard, which lightened up the front end considerably when using the 25-2.

I can do close up trimming with the bike as well, but it is a pain under low-lying fruit trees and when you want to trim right up to something. This is because the 130 has a lot of torque and it can damage things if you are not careful, which is why I will use the FS 80 for really up close stuff. However, I still use the 130 about 99% of the time.

Many on here will tell you it is either very difficult or impossible to do slopes or ditches with a bike handle - well I do it all the time and it's not a problem for me. I have never had a problem with the harness either, in fact its so light I forget I'm wearing it. And yes I can start it while it is on the harness :)

has anybody tried the tanaka trimmers yet? they sound like good deal with good warranty i just dont want a trimmer thats a terd

Latest posts

Back