Testing A Raisman Platt Crankshaft In An MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like the new fangled karts the kids here and in Europe race now.

Sheesh, back in my day it was all direct drive and bump start, you could see who the real drivers were on the corners.

Of course our mates in North America wimped out long ago, maybe forty years now ? and ran clutches and eventually we got soft and followed..... :monkey:

:laugh:

Americans.............................those bastards. :bang:

Americans.............................those bastards. :bang:

Harden the #### up!

~Chopper

chopperpic.jpg

Just like the new fangled karts with clutches the kids here and in Europe race now.

Sheesh, back in my day it was all direct drive and bump start, you could see who the real drivers were on the corners.

Of course our mates in North America wimped out long ago, maybe forty years now ? and ran clutches and eventually we got soft and followed..... :monkey:

:laugh:

We used shopping carts. No clutch multiple drinks in hand and built in roll cage.

I stumbled on the bleach thing after doing some research one day on what reacts with carbon.

It turns out, bleach has a specific reaction with the carbon, and actually turns it into this weird orange stuff (which cleans right off).

Kinda gross. . . Kinda neat.

Have you ever tried the bleach for de-carbing a cylinder?

A grabby chain is real good at breaking stuff. It can also take out the crank bearings, or even the bearing pocket in the case. I would venture to say that is what broke this crank. That, and the possibility of a bad crank to begin with.

A few more pics.........The exhaust was just cleaned up a little and port matched to the muffler.

Jon stinking up the place with an ol' nasty Husky. :msp_angry:

The initial crank is around the root radius of the thread from about 3 to 11 o'clock. You can tell this because of the shiny surface where the crack has opened and closed resulting in a polished the surface. Then you see the beach marks from when the load was large enough to grow the crack with each cycle. Then the final fracture surface which is very coarse (darker area at 1:30) because it's pulled apart suddenly. This section is often at close to a 45 degree angle to the crack because this is the principle shear direction for the loading condition. I studied fatigue in college and worked in the Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics Laboratory for a while.

Last edited:
The initial crank is around the root radius of the thread from about 3 to 11 o'clock. You can tell this because of the shiny surface where the crack has opened and closed resulting in a polished the surface. Then you see the beach marks from when the load was large enough to grow the crack with each cycle. Then the final fracture surface which is very coarse (darker area at 1:30) because it's pulled apart suddenly. This section is often at close to a 45 degree angle to the crack because this is the principle shear direction for the loading condition. I studied fatigue in college and worked in the Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics Laboratory for a while.

So, in your opinion, was this a defective parts? Or, was it a result of the graby chain, or ???

Back