the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ya reckon husky boys.
New oil pickup and oring and adjuster?

Yes on the o ring and oil pick up, adjuster should be fine, I would set the oiler to maximum and check to see where the wear mark ends up, turn it away from the plunger and it should be ok, btw how is the wear surface on the plunger?

Yes on the o ring and oil pick up, adjuster should be fine, I would set the oiler to maximum and check to see where the wear mark ends up, turn it away from the plunger and it should be ok, btw how is the wear surface on the plunger?
dunno.. will strip it out and have a look, the pin that is for the notch on the adjuster is flat too lol and teflon taped the adjuster in as well! backyard repairs at their best

Cut up a Nice Spotted Gum log today there is more to it than in the pic had to cut about 4.8 meters off that's the butt end in the pics, the 7t forklift wouldn't lift it. I had to unload it one end at a time off the log truck after that I couldn't move it ha.
Before it got 4.8m cut off its weight was about 8 and a half tonne anyway nice log clean wood had some shake but nothing bad we couldn't work around, it cost about 18 hundred bucks for the log and we got over 50 QLD sleepers out of it.

1 - Copy.jpg 2 - Copy.jpg 3 - Copy.jpg

Cut up a Nice Spotted Gum log today there is more to it than in the pic had to cut about 4.8 meters off that's the butt end in the pics, the 7t forklift wouldn't lift it. I had to unload it one end at a time off the log truck after that I couldn't move it ha.
Before it got 4.8m cut off its weight was about 8 and a half tonne anyway nice log clean wood had some shake but nothing bad we couldn't work around, it cost about 18 hundred bucks for the log and we got over 50 QLD sleepers out of it.

View attachment 502644 View attachment 502645 View attachment 502646
thats a great log , well done

It is being used extensively in pier and wharf construction in marine environments, so I'd say it's pretty good.

Good for rot i guess. What about termite etc. In ground with organic matter presents different problems to in water and sand and clay etc i would think?

Good for rot i guess. What about termite etc. In ground with organic matter presents different problems to in water and sand and clay etc i would think?

Sure it does present different ways it can be attacked, but the CCA treated iron bark, which I'm pretty sure is done to at least Australian Standard H4, maybe better is great in marine environments, even under water. The treatment protects against rot and insect attack. The metals, copper and I think chromium, protect it from rot, and the arsnate, think arsenic, kills anything that eats it.

Termites won't touch anything with CCA level H4, no way. Pretty sure not an insect in existence could....hell, if we eat it it will kill us.

Another form of treatment is LOSP and that is becoming more and more popular, but I am not totally convinced that it's as good as CCA treatment. CCA H4 can fully penetrate....the lesser treatments can also, but many just offer "envelope" type protection, eg. Paint.

The plunger look real good. May give it a kiss on the grinder to make it 100%
That plastic plug bit of a prick to get out tho.

CCA is used in pole treatment but that is about it these days, a lot of treatment plantsnhave switched to ACQ (ammonium copper quadrate if I remember correctly) for everything else, without the arsenic in it it is a bit more EPA friendly

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk

when we put bush poles or fence posts into ground,we cut away all the sapwood from the stump,extending at least 150mm above ground level.
The termites usually leave the heartwood alone,however if there is a crack in it,they will use that to travel up to where they can get at the sapwood.
A good dose of sump oil seems to help as well.

Chippy, im a chippy of 23 years so know where you are coming from. I still dont think any treatment is getting that far into most aussie hardwoods. Yes CCA is copper chromium arsnate. More common than you think. Im on the Gold Coast. If i go to a big timber yard here. Treated hwd will be cca. Treated pine ie posts beams etc in rougher header, will be cca unless basic internal framing pine which is T2 and thats prirethran and linseed oil. Only envelope treatment. LOSP is not as common as it use to be.

They can order ACQ hwd but its more expensive ...

They tried to go away from cca in the early 2000s but it made its wsy back because of performance and cost.

Vince. Some heat may help. Even just hot water.

Latest posts

Back