the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hewston, we have a problem !!!!!!!!

1stly,,,,
I gave you the opertunity to email or phone me direct regarding possible race inclusion, as I don't know who you are or where you are from or if you even have any interest at all in racing.
2ndly,,,,
we will not disscuss NSW racing events, structures or requirements on any open forums. You may see pic's or an odd vid from different races, however that is it.
3rdly,,,,
after reading your posts / replies on the other threads plus your post here stating your intension to run big sprockets on small saws, then wanting 16'' bars gives myself and the other racing members here the wrong impression.

Simply, a direct call and chat will sort all that out, any genuine guy keen would of done that soon as the opertunity arrised.

Geez Neil, you sound like an uptight sort of guy... (No offence)
I didn't think I'd done any harm about asking questions on this forum about racing, as I'm only here to learn and meet people with a similar interest and have a good chat, I didn't realise you tracked all my other posts on other threads and then came to the conclusion I have no idea wtf I'm talking about.... But you are probably right as I'm still learning, as for the 10 pin rim... I thought it would work on a 90cc saw with a 16" but again I'm probably wrong because I'm still learning.
I'm also not sure what any racing classes are or what bar sizes you run and how am I to know if I don't ask??? But again I'm still learning.
Thanks for the opportunity to go racing but I think it all seems to hard now...
Cheers Dave

Cheers Dave

Man you need a thicker skin than that.

Our club is one that prides ourselves on the logistics of NO ACCIDENTS. (not yelling just emphasising). We go to great lengths to maintain safety and responsibility when it comes to racing. Having in my past days been a Chainsaw Trainer & Assessor to NSW State Forest Standards, I know only to well the importance of safety. These days, we promote our saw racing to new comers through practice and fun days where, if you watch - listen & learn - you to can become a competitor.

The days of racing are probably numbered, but we are going to enjoy it while we can.

It will not be long before it all becomes too hard due to the need for operators to hold qualifications, like most pieces of machinery of use (forklift; EWP; quad bike.........)

Come along and watch and ask some questions before throwing in the towel. We will be only to happy to talk when time permits.

Good luck to the wallabys tonight.

But personally, I'd like to see Gatland get one over Dingo.

gday all hope all is well

I have 2 questions one chainsaw related and one to do with the BLACK art of differentials

ok the saw one ,my son has a mate with a flat top 066 he made out of about 3 saws he has no experience with saws
so I said I would have a look (blind leading the blind haha) so set the carb settings they were way off, in the end we
got it to idle but it wont transition to the high jet just bogs and stops so of came the filter and cover and when it try's to go to the high you can see the fuel mix vapor coming out of the venture but it dies it will not go more than about 4500rpm.

now the diff one it's got me scratching my head, now I know there is a lot to setting up my banjo type in me gutlux
this is a ef falcon, they just put a lsd in it and they just put it all together in no time flat it just didn't seem right to me as I know this much ,there is a set up procedure and it all happened to quick for my liking now the fun bit down of the hoist and no drive to speak of the car will move but not enough to get the wheels to go over the hoist cable cover so there you have it if some one can help with this I would be grateful

cheers Darren

Last edited:
I am interested in 1 or 2 of those quods, can you pm some more info on those please.

interesting assessment on your saws too, and again I will say I have no problem with a china copy if that is what it was bought as. I just hate them being sold as genuine saw's or just as bad, owners who pass them off as genuine saws. Its wrong, its lying, its everything except the fact and, those who do are just frawd's.

ps... I too have a copy from Matt, its going fine and has been altered and played with as well, it still is a copy but was an interesting exercise between Matt and myself.

Neil, will PM you tomorrow when I get the company names out of the filing cabinet
Cheers Wayne

Wanted some chainsaw model suggestions

Hi to all the Aussies on here. New to forum
I have been reading posts on here for a long time but recently joined. I play around with chainsaw milling and wanted anybody and everybody's thoughts on a cheap or cheaper than current models - old saws to buy from around Aust I can use for milling.
I was thinking along the lines of old stihls 064, 066, 075, 076, 084 etc etc.
Any other brands out there for me to look at ?
Anything from 70 odd cc's upwards
Gary

I have been reading posts on here for a long time but recently joined. I play around with chainsaw milling and wanted anybody and everybody's thoughts on a cheap or cheaper than current models - old saws to buy from around Aust I can use for milling.
Gary

This will come down to what length bars you wont to run.
A 066,660 will be fine with a 36'' mill set up after that you need to go larger cc saw.

Gary

It also depends on the species of tree you want to mill, as in its hardness.
Ironwood is a lot harder than say, most pine species so the more power, the better.
Most of the saws you have listed are old, trying to find a good one or parts is getting harder.
I would just look at Stihl 088, 880, 090 or Husky 3120 as parts are readily available but the 090 parts are very pricey unless you go aftermarket.
Sometimes cheap deals can be had on E Bay, just have to be patient
You can always run an extra oiler with long bars over 3 feet so it don't matter if the saw as a manual oiler or not

Geez Neil, you sound like an uptight sort of guy... (No offence)
I didn't think I'd done any harm about asking questions on this forum about racing, as I'm only here to learn and meet people with a similar interest and have a good chat, I didn't realise you tracked all my other posts on other threads and then came to the conclusion I have no idea wtf I'm talking about.... But you are probably right as I'm still learning, as for the 10 pin rim... I thought it would work on a 90cc saw with a 16" but again I'm probably wrong because I'm still learning.
I'm also not sure what any racing classes are or what bar sizes you run and how am I to know if I don't ask??? But again I'm still learning.
Cheers Dave

Geez Dave,,, no offence taken and there is no problem.
I simply told you straight what I was thinking and still am until I see otherwise.
Don't give up, if you are keen, then do as I suggested and it may be possible for you to start in a great sport.
A direct call is not hard, internet posting is very easy but will not get you a start in our arena.
As Dean (bigfella) pointed out, certain standards must be met, after all what we do is not childs play and any mistake can result in very seriouse injuries.

Neil, will PM you tomorrow when I get the company names out of the filing cabinet
Cheers Wayne

fanx Wayne, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Perth Arborist - Great Work

Anyone looking for an experienced arborist get in touch with Sean Weinthal (Sean Robert Weinthal).
I have used his services many times with consistently great service and results. I believe he now works for West Australian Tree Services.

Cut a load of firewood today! :msp_w00t:First time this year. Actually I think it's been well over a year! Snavelled illegally from out back I'm proud to say! Ran the 390 which has never quite cut it regardless with what I have played with. There has always been something not quite right with this bugger since the day I got her. Back to using my faves the 365,371 in BB form.

I must get that Chinese BB beaut out and fix that recoil and into action. Good little saw that one (from memory!!)

Hey Rick.....Mahindra! Who would have thought? :msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

AUSSIE1, gotta love them 365/371/372 :rock:

Here is a bitsa saw I put together from a Johnny 2071/husq 372/ and some chingaling bits (BB Kit), I'm the one in the middle with it, first disk stack race and it hasn't had a tank through it yet. Ricko, the one closest to the camera would be running a 371 and Graham at the far end has a 046. The deflector on the clutch cover worked a treat, kept most of the sawdust off of me. I had the most disks cut in this round, ended up third at the end of the day
[video=youtube;xzQLPswk0-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzQLPswk0-A&feature=share&list=UU2N-wO248QATJramMEoPwHA[/video]

Another chainsaw vid for you guys, just to keep my quota up a bit :msp_wink: don't want you guys thinking I am all talk and no vids.

We had a big weekend at Mount Larcom Qld a couple of weeks ago with the Central Qld Championship. I had a win in the Open Postrip final for the first time in way to long. I drew a top billet in the final and except for the roll of the billet and a wedge falling out on me everything went to plan. I am the one closest to the camera

[video=youtube;-7JhEZnardY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7JhEZnardY&feature=share&list=UU2N-wO248QATJramMEoPwHA[/video]

gday

afternoon fellas.
thanks to all the dribble here on this forum, i have sorted what saw i should get and pick her up this morning. A stihl MS 441. :rock:
i also have a red headed step daughter of a saw the Jonsered cs2137. so thats my 2 saw combo.
i am a L plater with all this but love it. there's just something about 4wd's the outdoors and saws.:smile2:

afternoon fellas.
thanks to all the dribble here on this forum, i have sorted what saw i should get and pick her up this morning. A stihl MS 441. :rock:
i also have a red headed step daughter of a saw the Jonsered cs2137. so thats my 2 saw combo.
i am a L plater with all this but love it. there's just something about 4wd's the outdoors and saws.:smile2:

good work Vince, atleast you dont drive a Toyoyta :clap: You cant go wrong with those 2 saws you have, they should give you years of faithful service as long as you treat them right :msp_wink:

Long time lurker first time poster.

Thought I might join as I have some tree felling to do over the next few months.
Lots of great information on here!

Looking at building a log splitter as a project too.

Bought my Stihl MS 291 last year after weeks and weeks of deliberation and a limited budget. So far quite happy with MS 291.

My second saw is a German Made Solo 630 I bought from eBay years ago (brand new for $100), just a baby but very handy nonetheless, it goes surprisingly well.

I do all my own service, tuning and maintence of my saws and I'm pretty pedantic at making sure they are in spotless condition and ready to go at a moments notice.

Cheers

Justin

And I have a bar here for matt to dress up for me :popcorn:

What in God's name???

Doesn't Stihl own Zama now days? I find there carbs to be good now days who knows if Stihl has anything to do with that?(I maybe wrong) Stihl or no Stihl Zama is a crab im happy to use now days as they seem to be putting out a good product....Hardly something to jump up and down about anymore with saw X has has a Zama carb? look out haha...I think its better to say what Stihl saws have a made in China carb than just pull the lid guys and its all made in China trust me! ...Here is a carb off a as new Aussie well was 660 and bugger me no made in China that I can see?...I have a brand new Aussie 660 and Im going to pull the cylinder off just to see if its true as I read many times that they have a chinese cylinder and carb, and its doing my head in with what's true and what's fiction now days with the humble saw..No disrespect to anyone just saying its getting a little unclear what the truth is anymore?....View attachment 303360

Yeah Stihl do own Zama. My point was that many people state that they don't want to support Chinese gear without realising that Stihl have a factory there producing the MS170's and other goodies. They also have a cylinder plant in Brazil which is where most of the Stihl branded cylinders are made. Then every now and then a Mahle will sneak through on certain models to upset the apple cart. Also with Australian delivered Stihls certain models are made in Germany whereas the equivalent US sourced saw is made in the US. For example the MS261's are made in 2 countries depending on their final market.
I've never heard of anybody saying the newer 660's have a Chinese made cylinder but certainly Brazil. Many people assumed the newer, poorly finished 660 cylinders were coming from China but they were actually coming out of Stihl's Brazilian factory.
If the new 660 you speak of had a Zama carby then there is a pretty good chance it is Chinese made. I've seen China written on them in some very small lettering but naming individual models doesn't really work either as there are inconsistencies from week to week sometimes. That doesn't mean they are bad though as my Dolmar 7900's run Chinese Zama carbies as do a number of my other pro saws - I've never had a problem with them.
I know it's happening everywhere with most manufactured items but I would suggest that the Stihl MS660 costs probably 60% of what it would have 7 years ago to produce yet the sticker price is still the same. The cheaper cylinder and other components certainly hasn't effected their reliability or popularity however :cheers:

I am interested in 1 or 2 of those quods, can you pm some more info on those please.

I had one mate and motor wise it went very well for a 250cc setup (more of a race type quad). I got it from a company in Melbourne and it was a 4 speed clutched manual that would wind out to a max of about 90kph. However there was a major alignment problem somewhere in the chassis or steering and I've heard of this from a few people now - at faster speeds it was extremely touchy to the point of being dangerous (nearly like it had too much toe in but that wasn't the case). It also has a wicked vibration from the front right wheel despite me having it balanced properly - I couldn't put my finger on it but above about 60kph the whole wheel would bounce up and down like a bastard.
It only cost me about $1750 new and when I put it together you could see the typical Chinese bolt hole alignment issues as always. I had to re-drill about a dozen holes when mounting the fairing. I ended up selling it as despite being great fun it was a bit too small for me.
The in-laws just bought a new Suzuki King Quad 400cc EFI model today (I actually picked it up for them). Really nice bike and at the moment they have a $1500 discount which brings it back to around the $6500 mark which is really good value. One of their rellies up the road bought exactly the same bike a year ago and learnt pretty quickly that you have to watch what fuel you run in it. Getting your unleaded out of the rusty old farm tank won't cut the mustard and it sucked a heap of water through the fuel pump and shagged it. The fuel pump and injector pump are a single item and a new setup was $1000.
I got it off the trailer and hit 85kph down the driveway no problem - plenty of stick. The father in law won't reach 40% of it's potential :) I will though...

Latest posts

Back