the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fire is moving NE now and I can here a bit of thunder (hopefully not much lighting). My sister lives about 20 clicks south of us and are preparing to evacuate as the smoke is rolling in. The CFS chief says that more fire fighters are arriving here from NSW and VIC tonight so I think they are preparing for the worst - good on them.

Been cleaning up the block and surrounding acres near my home this past 4 weeks. Funny how it is habit now after 8 years living in rural Vic, didn't even think of it as fire prep.
Fire pumps, hoses, water tanks and trailer all checked and spot on. Put a gate through to neighbouring property recently as a back way out if SHTF.
Still have fire breaks to disc in around the farm but wont be doing any tractor work in this heat :dizzy:

2009 was way too stressful to leave it to last minute ever again. Packing irreplaceable items, buying a fire pump + hoses and mowing lawns to dirt after blackened leaves were falling was not smart.

The local CFA are good value. I'm guessing it wont be long till there's a 'fire ready' type local meeting...albeit one of those things that seem to happen AFTER our area is threatened :confused:

Most people enjoy holidays away this time of year, but I think I'll be staying in the area through till at least Feb.

Stay safe.

Hey don't worry about me mate. I'm 220km away and no chance of a bushfire getting me. Andrew (Weedkilla) is in the thick of it though. Apparently it was started by somebody using an incinerator. Wanker.
Here ya go Matt, ive been listening to the figher fighters and its live and know what there doing as far as te fires are
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/2653/web

Welcome back bezza. [emoji4]

Mate at Hastings left an hr ago ... Just in case [emoji15]

smart move theres about 4 million m3 of high pressure gas and fuels stored at Long island gas plant less 2 clicks from the fire today.
The blemmy footprint is estimated to be 1500 m dia & nuthin standing for 2000m with damage to 5 clicks depending on detonation force direction

skip to 1m 16 sec

i knew the bloke that built it

Attachments

• IMGP4945.JPG
    IMGP4945.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 8
Looks like I'll be cutting a lot of burnt trees over the next little while.
Got at least a couple of mates who will need help, and a lot of forestry land is gone up.
I've never run carbide chain, but I ruined 3 loops of (admittedly 325) last time I had a heap of burnt out tracks to clear. Would carbide be the go? Is stihl the only real choice?

Looks like I'll be cutting a lot of burnt trees over the next little while.
Got at least a couple of mates who will need help, and a lot of forestry land is gone up.
I've never run carbide chain, but I ruined 3 loops of (admittedly 325) last time I had a heap of burnt out tracks to clear. Would carbide be the go? Is stihl the only real choice?

carbide is ok and good for burnt wood but an axe to clear the burnt bark 1st at saw entry helps heap too. Stihl TC rapid duro loops are good thou i not used other but surely be same. The price may put you off but its heaps cheaper than it was 5 years ago. To resharpen need green diamond wheel told are about $600 so get em done by your local saw bloke

Stihl RD is still the only real choice currently. This is currently being superceded by RD3 but not available just yet according to Benny. Available in .325" .050"/.063" and likewise in 3/8". No .058" is available.
Talk to Benny but you can get a Stihl branded diamond wheel to suit a Tecomec style grinder for under $300. Good wheel, I have one and it's suitable for all pitches as you're only touching the face on carbide. Hook isn't critical like a normal cutter.

Stihl RD is still the only real choice currently. This is currently being superceded by RD3 but not available just yet according to Benny. Available in .325" .050"/.063" and likewise in 3/8". No .058" is available.
Talk to Benny but you can get a Stihl branded diamond wheel to suit a Tecomec style grinder for under $300. Good wheel, I have one and it's suitable for all pitches as you're only touching the face on carbide. Hook isn't critical like a normal cutter.
Sounds a bit like your starting a sharpening thread here Matt ;)

Latest posts

Back