the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still on this 90+cc saw purchase and wondering what chain to run. As the saw will be used for both felling and milling, I'm torn between using 3/8 so can get through a roll faster because it's used on my 20/24/32" bars too, but then I hear .404 holds an edge better in ugly timber and I will be doing a fair bit of bucking for firewood. Also, My 72" milling bar is .404 so I already have to buy .404.

Decision's, derisions what should I do, swap over to 404 when 3/8 will do.......

Hello folkz, been a spell but back for a look see.

edit.... yea ok looked back a few pages that will do.

Still on this 90+cc saw purchase and wondering what chain to run. As the saw will be used for both felling and milling, I'm torn between using 3/8 so can get through a roll faster because it's used on my 20/24/32" bars too, but then I hear .404 holds an edge better in ugly timber and I will be doing a fair bit of bucking for firewood. Also, My 72" milling bar is .404 so I already have to buy .404.
I am using .404 on anything 60cc and up purely because I have a heap of half to 2/3 worn 46RS, just over 400ft of it. I would never usually use it other wise other then on my 090 6ft bar. All the stuff I cut is pretty good so I just run 3/8lp on my 241 .325 on my 026 because I have a heap of old used chains and 3/8 on the rest. Else I would just run 3/8lp and 3/8

Or swap the nose on the 72" bar to 3/8" and run 3/8 skip on everything?
giphy.gif
If it's a GB long bar they don't recommend running 3/8 on them because the bar is so much thicker then a standard bar that the 3/8 as it gets sharpened back then starts to struggle cut a wide enough kerf to stop the bar from binding. I asked them about it when I bought mine

I am going ok I guess, busy is probably the best word to use, making money ? well its in the bank and gone faster than it went in but such is life in the real world.
I have been buried on another forum so deep its taken until now to finally the sun again....
I have stopped racing this season, long story but I had to get away from it and think about my future in the sport or just retire and become another '' has been''.
Still doing a small part in helping with saw development for some competitors, this years Australian Titles promises to be no different to previous years.
Great to see the old Aussie dribble thread still pushing on page after page without constant arguing and bull sh#t , like its not that hard really, shame other forums don't see it that way and get rid of the f##kwits.
I will try and keep up with you chaps every couple of days.

G'Day Has Been,

If the govt ever lets me out of the country, I'm still hoping to pay you a visit to lick your boots clean and make the teas and learn as much as I can from one of the best bloody has beens I'll ever know. Maybe we could go pay the logosol guy a visit and see that framesaw in action.

Unless anyone can persuade me otherwise, I'm using .404 and it'll probably wear a 42" bar as standard. Thanks for that info on the long GB bars Bensta, I suspect t could have bit me in the arse if I had decided to swap noses to 3/8.

Thanks to all you good buggers.

Sincerely,
Never Was

Pottering round at home last couple of days, had some old hand split rails, would say they are Red Gum, maybe Red Box. Been stacked for 10'ish years and got termites so knocked them up for fire wood, straight into 7x5 trailer, taken from trailer to fire to stop little bstds spreading.........

Today fitted new GB 24" bar to the old 066 and cut off a Red Box stump, made up new Carlton 404 semi chisel chain (76DL), got into it..........story in the stump, wandered uphill in the last 2ft, sloppy operator :), will grind it soon and will probably be the last stump I do as retired from it now and selling the grinder.......stumps don't get much tougher than this, it would be about 25yrs I'm guessing since tree cut down.........doesn't take long to knock the paint off shiny new bar.

Out of order, dunno why...............

PANA10062016 019  resize.jpg -PANA10062016 006  RESIZE.jpg PANA10062016 007  RESIZE.jpg PANA10062016 009RESIZE.jpg PANA10062016 020  RESIZE.jpg

I'm not the norm as far as chain goes I have used .404 for over 20 years, the only time I use 3/8 chain is if it comes free on a saw and even then it's not on the saw for very long until I crack the chits and throw it down the paddock muttering words along the lines of what's this ****!! haha...

She looked pretty flash in 1992 Vince, but since then been to W.A., picked up so many loads of wood in rough bush tracks etc etc.............I don't put heavy loads on it any
more though....lol

The saw does OK but stumping knocks sh*t out of chains and bars, might do a cylinder comp. test one day, reckon it's getting a bit slow, or maybe me, that's more
likely.

K'bro, i reckon yr on the money with 404, bit slower they tell me but hangs in longer if some crap in the wood.

I am going ok I guess, busy is probably the best word to use, making money ? well its in the bank and gone faster than it went in but such is life in the real world.
I have been buried on another forum so deep its taken until now to finally the sun again....
I have stopped racing this season, long story but I had to get away from it and think about my future in the sport or just retire and become another '' has been''.
Still doing a small part in helping with saw development for some competitors, this years Australian Titles promises to be no different to previous years.
Great to see the old Aussie dribble thread still pushing on page after page without constant arguing and bull sh#t , like its not that hard really, shame other forums don't see it that way and get rid of the f##kwits.
I will try and keep up with you chaps every couple of days.

"Has been" my ass!...
Winter tis a **** time of the year for all really.. Sounds like a new game plan is in order after some well earned timeout...And when it's time for your return that be you with a renewed passion for the sport and showing the young bucks how its done!..Sounds like a plan to me :cheers:..

Pottering round at home last couple of days, had some old hand split rails, would say they are Red Gum, maybe Red Box. Been stacked for 10'ish years and got termites so knocked them up for fire wood, straight into 7x5 trailer, taken from trailer to fire to stop little bstds spreading.........

Today fitted new GB 24" bar to the old 066 and cut off a Red Box stump, made up new Carlton 404 semi chisel chain (76DL), got into it..........story in the stump, wandered uphill in the last 2ft, sloppy operator :), will grind it soon and will probably be the last stump I do as retired from it now and selling the grinder.......stumps don't get much tougher than this, it would be about 25yrs I'm guessing since tree cut down.........doesn't take long to knock the paint off shiny new bar.

Out of order, dunno why...............

View attachment 507513 -View attachment 507509 View attachment 507510 View attachment 507512 View attachment 507514
Gumby's been busy!..
Nice looking 066 ya got there Gumby ya willing to trade it for one POS ms661?...In all seriousness the 661 is basically a parts saw needs a new right hand side case and well we all know what that would cost? 3rd of a new saw or more!..They have a few bugs still to sort on the 661 until then if you want a work saw legendary and hard working as a 066/660? thats easy get a 660 if your looking for that kind of reliability! yes I know and not making this **** up am gutted what a let down :(...But still not that gutted I'd turn to husky thats for sure! :dancing: ha....

R60, sorry to hear the 661 is a POS, I toss around the idea of getting a nice new saw, then fire up the 066 and it's still going 14yrs into its life, hardly had to touch it
really. Got a couple of new 24" GB bars and 3/4's of a 100ft roll of 404 so might just hang onto the old girl, (saw).

Thought about a 461, but you get used to bigger saws, over 30yrs, and all the smaller stuff feels like a toy.

Vince, it will be freezing up Licola way this weekend and you will see snow 100% certain. Set of chains in the back always handy when some snows about......have a good time...................

:chop::cheers::barbecue::drinking::guitar:

Back