The best 2 cycle chainsaw oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For many decades in my new husky saws since 1980 I used the husky Xp oil. Never had a problem due to oil. Stupid me I sold those saws after my first knee operations. Now seeing these seizures scares me. Is this new Xp+ oil good enough? All my saws are running great now. I do add more Xp+ oil to the 50-1 pre mix can.

I tried pumpkin spice scent in my diesel truck. A couple years and a bunch of tanks of fuel through it and I still smell pumpkin spice when I refuel it. Never smelled anything out the exhaust though.

I just started using Maxima K2 on the recommendation of several on here. Burns real clean. Only thing I don’t like is it doesn’t have much dye so you need to label the can.

I like the way my klotz super techniplate smells, reminds me of when my dad raced boats. Never had an oil issues in any of my saws with it at 40to1.
Me too , its what i use in all 2T, not cheap , but love it, i have been using it for 15 years plus , some here will state it is not suitable for saws in cold weather, and does not have all the additives as some of the other Mexican oils ( sorry racist ) .............i don't cut in any cold weather , and if i did i would still use it...... :) ...bitches ...love it or hate it ...

Me too , its what i use in all 2T, not cheap , but love it, i have been using it for 15 years plus , some here will state it is not suitable for saws in cold weather, and does not have all the additives as some of the other Mexican oils ( sorry racist ) .............i don't cut in any cold weather , and if i did i would still use it...... :) ...bitches ...love it or hate it ...
Weve ran it in our mercury outboard engines, dirt bikes, saws, trimmers , weed eaters, small rototiller, and single stage snow blowers. I cut year round. Never had an issue. Heck even when we had sleds that were 2 stroke they got klotz oil. Just my preference. There are many other good oils out on the market too. Just non I've tried.

I have been trying Klotz BēNol at 32:1 this afternoon for some sustained high-rpm weedeater work on our pond dam and under some pasture trees the tractor can’t get under due to low limbs.

The castor smell does remind me of going to the motorcycle speedway races with my dad as a kid (the ones that look like BMX bikes with 500cc alcohol thumpers jammed in there and no brakes). It’s running great on it after a slight carb retune, but it will be interesting to look in the muffler and exhaust port after I use the pint of BēNol up.

I have some Klotz Super Techniplate to try after that. And I plan to try a bottle of Royal Purple HP-2C this summer also.

I’m looking at this as more of an aromatherapy thread than an oil thread.

Weve ran it in our mercury outboard engines, dirt bikes, saws, trimmers , weed eaters, small rototiller, and single stage snow blowers. I cut year round. Never had an issue. Heck even when we had sleds that were 2 stroke they got klotz oil. Just my preference. There are many other good oils out on the market too. Just non I've tried.
....as i have stated in a few oil threads in the past and a little more info in this thread , Most likely ( ANY ) 2 stroke oil anyone uses at any altitude , country , county , continent , hemisphere , ect., even Walmart 2-stroke oil in rebuilt $60 trimmer , will work fine, if properly mixed with good fuel , it's more/all of preference ... i /we.... use what we use, you use what you use , carry on ............ similar with chainsaws :cheers:

I used Klotz when I was raceing the snowmobile back in 75 thru 79. I think that was about all any one used. sure did smell up the pits.
then you would maybe stop at a cafe on the way home and the waitress would say been to the races I smell, it got in your cloths and hair even.

Al

On a slightly different note, the Chinese restaurant in town decided to put
their waste oil into a kerosene burner, it went for a week, every one who works
on these burners had a go at fixing it, yes it stopped working, it would spray in
the fuel, spark it off run ten seconds then die.

Took the burner out of the chamber / boiler, and it would run all day,
only guessing it had something to do with the strange glaze of rock hard cooking oil
that was permanently fixed to the inside of the boiler, it was creating strange fumes that
I think either kept the oxygen from getting in or causing some other kind of a reaction
not conducive to burning the kerosene, they just got a new boiler and used the old burner.

A hill billy bought the old boiler, cut it up to make plates to hold a roof rack on a van,
years later I seen the van, everything rotted except the plates he made from the boiler.

This kind of put me wise to what I consider safe to run in an engine, better the devil you know.

About ten-twelve years ago I had this older 25cc Homelite straight-shaft trimmer I rescued from the recycle yard, back when they’d still allow stuff going out. I decided—can’t remember what gave me this idea now—to try running corn (cooking) oil in it at 32:1 instead of two-stroke oil. I had a spare powerhead so the risk seemed low.

It seemed to work fine and smelled not unlike the castor premix exhaust smell, but the lack of dye made me nervous that I’d grab the wrong can...so I filtered some used crankcase oil through a coffee filter and mixed that with the corn oil 50/50, and premixed that blend 32:1 with the gas .
Yep, black premix oil. I am a wild man.

The trimmer ran fine for a summer on that stuff, not babied or anything. I let it eat. Lots to trim around here, lots of extended 3/4 throttle-to-WOT usage. Kind of smoky at idle and putt-putt trimming around fences or flowers, but no visible smoke when it was rippin. Still smelled like corn/castor/biodiesel exhaust/wok fumes, even with the “black dye” mixed in.

I did a couple of plug checks and the plug looked pretty normal. No exhaust outlet spooge or crusties either. But when I pulled the muffler at the end of the summer the inside of the port was kind of crusty. The piston crown had deposits but nothing too ugly, and the skirt had a nice oil film and no scoring I could see.

I scraped it, reassembled it and went back to standard two-stroke oil after that. Eventually that trimmer died of gearbox failure and got replaced, but it still had compression and ran okay at that point.

Back