The last years of good American saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reams could be written, and probably have...

Poulan might not make my list, just because they were never well-supported in my region. The only places that sold them got them through the hardware chains, and weren't particularly interested in service or parts. There were a few glimmers of hope during the early Poulan Pro days, when a few Pioneer/Partner dealers had access to the good ones, but we all know that didn't last long.

There's some difference of opinion regarding what McC and Honie saws were the last "good-un's...I won't support the idea that the 605/610/timberslugs were "good saws", and the similar year Homie pro saws were hard to get hold of and made overseas.

I'll nominate the SP700 and Eagle80 McC and 360 and SXL Homie as the last real saws. The Macs and SXL were available until about 1994 or 1995, mostly because there were still some laying in warehouses. Maybe somebody like Bailey's or another big dealer still had some for a while after that. Even as I nominate them, let me say they were outdated design saws (the SXL was outdated in 1975, let alone 1995), and they probably sold an awfrul lot more to nostalgic sawyers than working pros.

Afterthought: Homelite supposedly had a saw based on the same motor as the last abrasive saw...(8800?). I've never seen one in the flesh. Must not have sold many...

I agree about the Macs. .

Unfortuneately, they are like tractors in that there are NO American-owned companies left. We are in the hands of the one-world-order.

A sad state of affairs.:mad:

Deere is still an American Company, although their tractors come from worldwide.

AGCO is also American, although most of the roots (except the Challenger tracked tractors) are traceable to the European companies in their fold.

Case-New Holland is owned by Fiat, but as long as the MX's roll out of Racine, WI and the Steigers out of Fargo, ND, I'll consider them American.

For you Canucks, Buhler out of Winnepeg still makes some nice machines, built off the old NH Genesis chassis and the Versatile 4WDs.

The under 100hp options are very few if you want an American assembled (I won't even get into the "built" part), I think the 5000 series Deeres, built in GA might be the only US made utility tractor.

My opinion is that the Poulan Pros, did have some decent saws well into the 90's. The 330,335, 365, 380 etc were decent.

I agree. I have a 365 and its a very nice saw. Wasn't it sort of an Elux influenced design though? I don't know the full origins, but I always thought these came about after there were mergers and cooperative efforts with European manufacturers. Maybe made in the US, but was it really developed 100% in the US?

Homelite 410s and 540/8800s were nice saws made up to the 90s, but they were a cooperative effort with Solo (or at least that's my understanding). Personally, the pro series (350/360, 450,550,650, and 750) were the last great Homelite saws that were 100% US designed and built. You can mention other saws like the 330 or 240, but in my view, they were on the down slide that had already began. The 290 and 340 were also Solo based saws.

Dan

I had a 330, got it in a pile of saws meant for scrap, new intake boot, rebuilt carb, sold it to my sisters fiance; he thinks its the greatest, I know it doesnt get alot of respect here due to power/weight ratio. i can see why people would think homies wer sliding at that point only cause its plastic and not magnesium.

I agree. I have a 365 and its a very nice saw. Wasn't it sort of an Elux influenced design though? I don't know the full origins, but I always thought these came about after there were mergers and cooperative efforts with European manufacturers. Maybe made in the US, but was it really developed 100% in the US?

Homelite 410s and 540/8800s were nice saws made up to the 90s, but they were a cooperative effort with Solo (or at least that's my understanding). Personally, the pro series (350/360, 450,550,650, and 750) were the last great Homelite saws that were 100% US designed and built. You can mention other saws like the 330 or 240, but in my view, they were on the down slide that had already began. The 290 and 340 were also Solo based saws.

Dan

I have to agree. I think that the 350/360 and probably what other saws were in that series were the last good American saws. I know they were heavy and not to powerful but they did have a fairly decent AV setup and atleast they were trying to bring the old company into the modern saw world. As someone said earlier the SXLs were outdated in 75 let alone 95. I agree. But as much as everyone hates the old SXLs you gotta admit that for all the noise and vibration they were just about indestructable. Always start and always run just the same as ever. Rarely any surprises with them. But they were nor as modern as the 360 and that's what I vote for.

When i come back home i am getting a Homelite SXL. The last good saw that homelite made was indeed the 8800.

Deere is still an American Company, although their tractors come from worldwide.

AGCO is also American, although most of the roots (except the Challenger tracked tractors) are traceable to the European companies in their fold.

Case-New Holland is owned by Fiat, but as long as the MX's roll out of Racine, WI and the Steigers out of Fargo, ND, I'll consider them American.

For you Canucks, Buhler out of Winnepeg still makes some nice machines, built off the old NH Genesis chassis and the Versatile 4WDs.

The under 100hp options are very few if you want an American assembled (I won't even get into the "built" part), I think the 5000 series Deeres, built in GA might be the only US made utility tractor.

Everything is like that now. You would have a tough time finding a foundry in most US factorys these days. Take Harley Davidson,,,,,,,,,,,,American built from parts made in mexico, japan, brazil, australia, germany, and china.

I wonder how much raw steel, magnesium, aluminum, and plastics the Poulan factory hauls in these days.

I could have Forded or Dodged him, but Gary is a Chevy guy.
ChevyBowTie.jpg

I know what your trying to say, but get it right. No matter what you think of them, Poulans are still USA made.

The 655 is actually a Pioneer saw.

My opinion is that the Poulan Pros, did have some decent saws well into the 90's. The 330,335, 365, 380 etc were decent.
Yes still made in the U.S I have two of the newer cheap junk they make? Know what they have not let me down one bit the 295 seen a lot of use and abuse this year has not blown up yet.The 2550 is I think 5 maybe 6 years old now and runs better than ever I wore out a bar with that one. Feed them good fuel and tune them as they come out of the box. That's the problem with any saw that comes out of a box you have to know how to tune them, then your good to go! Really I think if you cant tune them you should not be running any saw!Except a electric one with adult supervision.:)
P.S I am still bugging my best friends dad to sell me his 306A It's like new I offered $200.00 more than fair lol.

Last edited:
I had a 330, got it in a pile of saws meant for scrap, new intake boot, rebuilt carb, sold it to my sisters fiance; he thinks its the greatest, I know it doesnt get alot of respect here due to power/weight ratio. i can see why people would think homies wer sliding at that point only cause its plastic and not magnesium.

I truly didn't mean to sound like 330s were a bad saw. Just that as a follow-on to the 350/360, they didn't seem like any great improvement. They were magnesium except for the starter and the air filter cover, but so were the 540/8800 and 410s for that matter. 330s just seemed to be an oddball design and not a logical progression that would have followed the existing saws. Its more like a totally seperate design group came up with it and Homelite decided to market it. antway, its all history now.

Dan

Yes it was after the Elux deal, but I believe they were really the last true Poulans designs. As far as I can tell anyway....

I guess my favorite "last" American saws would be the Pioneer P45HP, and the McCulloch Super Pro 81E. Both are a touch on the heavy side but both of them got allot of snuff under the hoods.

I figure the Timber bear was the last usable McCulloch.

Mine is an older Homelite/Textron Super2 in excellenct condition. It was well taken care of in it's life. The dual triggers are pretty cool and it runs fantastic. I have no need for a big saw, so this little bugger fits the bill just fine.
P090311003.jpg

Last goog Homelites

I have have taken a liking to the Homelite 450-750 series saws and have many of them. No, they will not keep up with some of the faster more modern saws but they do cut well and are reliable once you know the saws and their systems. I particularly like the Homelite 450 model. I recently ran my Husky 51 cutting firewood (locust) with the help of my friends dad. He was shocked at the difference when I ran the 450 through a log after using the 51. Now, your talking about 25cc difference, but also about 20 years of tech difference also. For a non saw user he was impressed with the 450 also.

Now, put a Jred 930 against any of them and forget it, they are out, DFR etc..

Best of luck to all..........J

I guess my favorite "last" American saws would be the Pioneer P45HP, and the McCulloch Super Pro 81E. Both are a touch on the heavy side but both of them got allot of snuff under the hoods.

I figure the Timber bear was the last usable McCulloch.

Umm, let see, Pioneer saw company from Ontario Canada.

Sorry, I don't think that fits the American saw theme of this thread.

Back