The perfect firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm right there with ya. My main heat in my home is wood, I've never bought a piece of wood and this is my 35th winter heating with wood. Tomorrow for the first time I jump into the 2-saw plan and my first "pro" saw when I pick up my new 346xp, 16 inch bar. I hate to admit it but these days I hurt more after climbing in brush and tree tops with a 14 pound, 20 inch homeowner saw. I drool at the photos of the power-to-weight animals but for me that would defeat my objective, cheap, warm heat. Maybe later I can upgrade even more. I'm OK with that but I totally blame this forum and it's members for the $500 I dropped for the 346xp. http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/msp_rolleyes.gif Thanks to all.
First off WELCOME!!! I hate to say it but this is just the beginning! :msp_unsure:

Alright I ran the perfect firewood saw today. 555 is what a 346 should be or what they're talked up to be here. I would walk past 100 346s to get one if those were the two choices. I don't mean to sound like I hate the 346 but I never liked any of the ones I ran.

:) I was referring to the quality of this JD saw. If, indeed, EFCO makes them, an EFCO 70cc saw for $600 would be a good investment. Those who are curious of the saw in the background. It is a 50cc Pioneer, Mod#2073.

jdcs710041_1.jpg

I didn't mean they were all bad ;) They did find a few sweet spots!

Another Convert!

Alright I ran the perfect firewood saw today. 555 is what a 346 should be or what they're talked up to be here. I would walk past 100 346s to get one if those were the two choices. I don't mean to sound like I hate the 346 but I never liked any of the ones I ran.

I am not ready to ditch my 346's yet, but the 555 sure is nice.

My 346NE came in a 11.2 lbs and the 555 at 12 lbs, both PHO dry. So, for 13 oz more weight you get a little over 1/2 hp more. Not a bad tradeoff. I'm only a few tanks into my 555, and it hasn't exploded yet due to it having such light, flimsy construction!:hmm3grin2orange:

The green paint just makes em' sexier... :msp_wink: Picked this one up yesterday...

attachment.php

attachment.php
Hedgerow, The first time I used mine( in red) I couldn't believe it. Noone I know had one. I just scanned this site and every other one I could find, and read every review on it. I couldn't find one negative review. So I figured with the 5 year warranty how you going to go wrong? I paid about $400 and the month before they were on sale at Pat's Small Engine for $389. They are listed as 4.1 HP but I'm sure I can eventually improve on that. Plus they start right up. Great firewood saw.

Great acquisition!

I will always have at least two 346s'. Always!

But after reading so much about the 555 here lately, I might just get one. :msp_biggrin:

I will always have at least two 346s'. Always!

But after reading so much about the 555 here lately, I might just get one. :msp_biggrin:

But the green paint is SEXY Don!!!!!! You know you wanna try it!!! It'll be at the next GTG...
:hell_boy:

I think that way to much thought goes into chainsaws. Whether you make a living with them or heat your house they are a tool. I had a 361 for about a day and was disapointed in it's ability to run a 20" bar which is the job I purchased it for. I then went with a 372 that served very well until it just got ran to death but can honestly say the 362 has served as a very good replacement. Sure there is no way the 362 would pull a bigger bar like a 372 but with a 20" the difference is very little and the balance is much better at least making it easier to use for me anyways.

Don the 555 is all that and then some. I was very sceptical of it myself. For you 346 lovers it's a beer heavier with loads more power. I think it would make some of you throw rocks at them 346s:buttkick:

Don the 555 is all that and then some. I was very sceptical of it myself. For you 346 lovers it's a beer heavier with loads more power. I think it would make some of you throw rocks at them 346s:buttkick:

I don't think I'll be throwin any rocks, Mike. But I think I'll have to get a 555... :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back