Top Handle Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had any crank problems with the 335, nor have I ever heard of any, and I know a lot of guys with them...

I have compared specs on many small saws, and the Solo is the only one close to the 020 and 335, at 2.0 hp versus 2.2. The Tanaka, Efco, Jonsy, Redmax, Dolmar, Shindaiwa, are all less. Echo doesn't publish pwr specs, but it is obvious they are low in power, as are all of the small reed valve saws. Poulan S25,and Homelite Super EZ were the only other peppy climbing saws.

To me, it is well worth it to have a modified climbing 335, as not only does it have lots of guts, but it runs and starts reliably all day long. I know the 200T is a proven performer, and certainly better stock, but it is heavier, pricier, has a poor saw attachment, and poor location of carb, thus creating a handle arrangement that I dont like at all, even tho it is very well balanced.

Last edited:
Been down this road before but.....Me and my 019T cain't get no respect.:( I must be the only pro in the entire world who LIKES the poor little ugly duckling. I KNOW that it weighs more than an 020T or 335 and puts out less horepower but the thing handles well and I love the tooless chain tensioner. Considering how you guys treat it like an ugly step-child (it is) I'm amazed that Stihl has kept it in the line.

Stumper, I've used both and the 3400 Echo has a LOT more power than the 019, a lot cheaper and better reliability. I don't think the 019 is a viable alternative, although good for guys who can't afford an 020T and are unwilling to try another brand.

The CS-3400 Echo is by far the best of the top handles as far as reliability is concerned. The only problem I have seen is they will get a occasional wood chip in the reed valve.

As for power and speed the 335XPT tops the list.

treeclimber what kind of problems have you had with the 335? Like you I have never seen any bearing problems. We have one in the shop now that has a seal leaking that I have to fix. I was surprised when I tore in down and found the main bearings were sealed on both side and gets no lubrication from the engine. The only real problem I have encountered with the 335 is the boot, but they seem to have that problem fixed since they went to the new one piece boot instead of the three piece kit they had.

Dennis let us know how the CS-3400 turns out, I'd like to know. The only thing this saw likes is a little more power and speed and it would be the best in its class, bar none.

TC165, I am not brand faithful-I have 5 different brands which I use and like. The only stocking dealer(s) in my area carry Stihl and Poulan. My saw mechanic is a dealer for Husky and Shindaiwa but he doesn't stock anything -only orders upon request. When I was shopping for a new climbing saw I talked to him. His comments were-"the Husky 335 is having lots of reliability problems, The Shindaiwa 357 seems kind of clunky but I like Shindaiwa engineering.-I hate to say it but you might want to go check with the Stihl dealer-they seem to have the best saws for that application.". So I went and handled both the 020T and the 019T. Price WAS a consideration but I liked the goofy handle design on the 019T and the toolless chain tensioning option. My 019 has been very reliable. Since purchasing it I have seen and handled the Echo 3400. I was/am favorably impressed. ( I like Echo products in general) I may get an Echo next round (even though there is no local dealer) but I think the 019T has some things going for it-I wonder though WHO is buying it?

Sold a lot of 335 XPT from our store, no crank problems ( carbs,isolator boots,fuel lines, pulse lines ). Tony if you have not climbed with a Stihl or Husky you don't know what your missing.

Stumper,

This may give some insight on why some people are not buying the 019. I was at one of our local Stihl dealers last winter. We were just talking about saws in generally and what some of the models we each liked. He said that there was one Stihl model he would not sell and he pointed up on the wall to the lighted Stihl sign that had a 019 on it. I asked why he would not sell the 019 and he said it was a son of a """. to work on. He said he wanted not part of it. This summer I was back at the same dealer and I told him I was looking for a top handle. He said the the MS200 was great saw but was too pricey for most. I asked about the MS190 again and he said he would never stock one. He gave the same explanantion. He told me that if a customer really wanted one he would order it but he did not like the saw. I have no idea how many other dealers may feel the same way. I appreciated his honesty. I went and talked to the Husky dealer and nearly bought a 335. I have been watching the posts here the last several months and now I believe I will purchase a Echo 3400.

Bill

mod cali special

Dennis,
I've run Cali Special for a few months now and one thing to look at with the Intenz bar ( I run mine with the 14" bar) is the kick back. Had mine kicked back so hard the bar was pushed back into the saw dropping the chain. Had the saw had the old style tensioner, modified as you did, to accept other bars, I'd be buying a new sidecase cause it would have pulled the screw adjuster out of the case. Don't usually have a saw kick back but jambed this one hard. With the screw tensioner you could break a chain before the bar would give or bend the heck out of the tensioner screw. Don't know what's better but it would have been a life saver if the brake had failed. Anyone like the chain that comes with the 335? I like a more aggressive chain and the saw can handle it.

boy that sure would have been a hard kickback to pull the sidecase out. i have never seen a broken sidecase from kickback but you must have been holding on pretty allright. I dont think much of the intenz bars, they look pretty friggin finicky and toylike - side chain adjuster seems to be the way to go, as Dennis even had someone request for a conversion to the side adjusting method on their cali.

the aggressive chain you like is probably the 91vs versus the vg crap that comes with the saws these days. makes a BIG difference.:)

I run a 335cali, I thought I would hate the intenz bar, but it really is not bad. The bar nuts have to be cranked down to hold the chain tension more than a regular tightner relies upon them, but really it has been pretty good. I love the power, and I also stepped up my chain from the low kickback that it comes with.

I used to use an 019t and really did like it. No way could I go back after using the 335. But it was a pretty good saw for me for about 2 years. It seems to have lost a good bit of compression, and you can't make carb adjmnts worth a crap, so I have it sitting under the bench in the garage now. I really begain to feel a power loss in the 019 after about 1 yr of light/med use, and it is now to the point where my Silky hand saw would give it a run for its money.
When working "at altitude" you need power and reliability, I feel that the 335c takes good care of me.
Greg

My fingers get too numb to pull the starter rope below 40*, freezing doesn't seem to be a major issue in FL. :p

Alright already, to make things easy Dennis I guess you could put my new solo in the mail or bus it out to the island since you don't see fit to deliver it in person.
Let me know when you have done the mods on it then just pop it in the carton and send 'er out.
I'll even set up a saw race between my ms200 and the Dennisized solo, same chain(new), same log, and a stopwatch the ms200 might be tough to beat though as there is a large difference even between the 020 and the ms200 with standard tree service mods.

Keener,
I've had my Solo 633 up against the 020t both stock. The 020t edged my saw but, not by much. The beauty is that the Solo is about $200us less w/a 2yr. warranty! I'm curious what "standard tree service mods" are???

Dennis,
I've heard rumors that the Solo 633 (36cc) is going to be beefed up next year. The talk is of going up to a 40cc without raising the current price or the weight. Could make that saw real popular. Another Solo site is Solo-Germany. I'll post back w/the address. I'm real interested to see what your work will do to improve this saw! (Is Keener really serious??).

Seesaw...I havent heard that rumour about the Solo Saw....but who knows...

when I talk basic woods modifications, I personally am referring to ehaust port timing, intake port timing, transfer port timing, squishe band clearance, ignition timing, piston dressing and muffler work....and sometimes carb work if necessary

I cant speak for Walkers or Madsens...

Keener...who knows..mabe one day I will make it back over to the Island and we can do some cutting...once I get this 633 and do some cutting..then build it...and do some more cutting..it will be up for sale....

Darn right I'm serious.
Standard tree service mods here on the wet coast of B.C. consists of reducing exhaust restriction. Just takes 5 minutes and a screw driver and never a plugged exhaust screen again.
Before anyone gets excited about that remember this is the soggy west coast not the tinder dry interior and my saws are residential use not forestry use, there is no forest floor debris on that nice green lawn in the city.
If Solo wants to sell saws they should give tree service guys a break on price since we advertise to the homeowner every time we take the tools off the truck, how many times have all you tree guys heard the homeowner ask " Oh I see you use _____ brand saws" and you answer " yes we find they stand up really well to every day use"
In return for my awesome marketing idea all I ask is that solo send me 4 new saws every year, to cover the size range from say 36" to 12" bars ( their climbing saw).

Back