Top handle vs Rear Handle Saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been thinking about a top handle saw for limbing and very light bucking...also nagging back injury that kicks in after a couple of hours of lugging my 16lkb plus saw around.

What's the pro's and con's on the top handle saws...I've read that both Husky & Stihl have these inherent issue's: starting problems and oil pump problems!:confused:

The old codgers around my parts sing the praises of Echo's and one even offered to take my rear handle Poulan Pro 5020AV and convert it very safely to a top handle saw????:msp_scared::popcorn:

Is This Possible?????:rolleyes2:

Thanks for your feedback...HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Reggie

Been thinking about a top handle saw for limbing and very light bucking...also nagging back injury that kicks in after a couple of hours of lugging my 16lkb plus saw around.

What's the pro's and con's on the top handle saws...I've read that both Husky & Stihl have these inherent issue's: starting problems and oil pump problems!:confused:

The old codgers around my parts sing the praises of Echo's and one even offered to take my rear handle Poulan Pro 5020AV and convert it very safely to a top handle saw????:msp_scared::popcorn:

Is This Possible?????:rolleyes2:

Thanks for your feedback...HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Reggie

They must be smokin the same thing as your avitar is.......IMHO not possible.

Top handled saws are only for use up in a tree.

They offer no advantage on the ground unless you are going to go around one handing a saw, which is foolish.

This exactly. They also have a shorter reach so you bend over a lot more. I'd just look at a light saw like the MS180 or the Husky 435. Neither are powerhouses, but they are light and get the job done fine.

The top handled saws were made to use while on a ladder or in any situation where you need to hang on to something with one hand.There is no reason you can't use a top handle on the ground and I personaly use a Poulan S25CVA to cut up a lot of stuff on the ground.Hell,I've even used it for firewood from time to time.I've heard the top handle Echos were really good saws and would probably buy one over a Stihl or Husky.My favorite and the favorite off many guys that know more about saws than I do, are the S25 series of saws from Poulan.They run forever and aren't hard to find.Find something you like and buy it,you won't regret it.
:msp_thumbsup:

Get an MS200 Rear Handle.

MS200x4.jpg

If you're going to use a top handle with two hands look at the way the top handle is configured. A saw like an Echo CS-341 gives you some extra room so the right hand can be moved back so you have some leverage on the saw. The 2139 Jonsered as an example forces your right hand to be all the way forward and very close to your left hand so it's really a saw that is designed to used only with one hand IMO.

If you are limbing on the ground a small (read short) top handle can be very easy to maneuver in tight areas, I like using them that way personally.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'll catch some poo for this...

I like the Stihl 192t (top handle) saw for the stuff your talking about. While it's primary function is limbing, you can do some light cutting on the ground with it if need be. These are very versatile saws. Stihl owns the top handle saw market IMO. The 192t is great for the light user and has a lighter overall weight than the 200t (which is priced way too high unless used commercially).

Never had a single starting or oiling problem in 10 years with my 192t.

Another benefit to a top handle saw for light duty is future resale. An ms170, 180 or any small rear handle saw for that matter, will have a lower resale value when it comes time to sell. Simply because there are fewer of them available on the used market.

Flame on...:rock:

WOW - how could we do without the useless posts in this thread! :jester:

Mentioning pure POS saws like the MS192 and that Echo hardly helps the OP at all, hopefully he wants a decent saw....

Last edited:

Mentioning pure POS saws like the MS192 and that Echo hardly helps the OP at all, hopefully he wants a decent saw....

Well having actually used the Echo for years without problems what am I doing wrong? Why doesn't it just fall apart now and get it over with so I can pitch it in the dumpster ;).

Saab's rule !

Tim

Last edited:

WOW! You used a whole two sentences without inserting a Swedish saw saves the world comment. :clap:

I have a little solo top handle...and rarely use it. Much prefer a rear handle saw for light work on the ground. My favorite small saw has been a 141 husky pretty snotty with the muff opened up.

Looking at a back problem as the reasoning for a top handle seems fair to address. If using a top handle will get you cutting more, by all means get the Stihl for resale value so when your back is strong again you can use any suitable rear handle saw! Since I am a fitness trainer, look at doing some back exercise to strengthing the back. Learning proper lifting form can translate to good body posture in the field.

Happy cutting with your new saw!

Pure POS is quite the overstatement in my opinion. I cannot testify for the Echo personally, but I've used an ms192 quite a bit over the past few months. I will say that I'm a homeowner/wood heater who doesn't climb for a living, but does climb a dozen +/- trees a year. I am still happily surprised with how quickly it walks right through hardwood (rock maple and yellow birch primarily, so not the hardest but definitely not the softest) with a 14" bar fully buried. And it weighs 7 pounds dry without a bar and chain, which in my opinion, makes for a pretty impressive little saw. Is it an ms200t or comparable saw? Absolutely not. But it's far from a "POS" or "pure POS". So for someone who's looking for a very light top handle, I highly recommend it. I am curious to see what criteria you have for classifying this saw as a POS. Again, I realize it's not a top-of-the-line moneymaker, but it's very impressive, and I don't feel that it's unfairly priced.

I like my new t435...more power than a 192t (same engine as my ms170) and only 319.00

You can't set them on the ground and start them there is no where to but your foot I seen somebody try to start one on the ground but If it starts right away from drop starting it should be fine.

Latest posts

Back