Trip to the stihl store....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallegosmike

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Land of loose NUTS, Really Big FLAKES, and Fruity
First off, I am not a stihl guy. The saw(s) I planned to buy was a gift for my father. The low end MS-1XX saws that looked at were just plain junk. All 50hr rated and pure plastic. I wonder what would happen if to one if it was dropped? I though that husky 137-142's were junky cr@p. Next I looked at the MS-2XX to MS-3XX series saws. All are 125hr rated and kinda girthy for their size. Still too much plastic for my tastes. Finally I picked up a MS-361, much better feeling. The cutch cover and oil tank were metal and better balanced then the others. Kinda pricey for what you get. It was rated for 300hrs and just look like a better engineered saw.

Some guys gave me cr@p over my Husky 455 Rancher (maybe in jest???) for being porky and under powered. For what stihl is charging for a less durable saw is crazy. My saw was a gift to me, but I know it cost about $379.00 'ish here is New Mexico at the time.

So guys, defend the brand and justify why stihl is putting out sub par saws.
I am not looking to troll... I am just pissed about wasting my time looking at cr@p.

Maybe I should just get my father a 372xp?? :givebeer:

Agreed. For the money the 1xx series Stihls are not worth it. You'd be way better off with a WildThing or WoodShark, or just save your money and buy a good saw.

You just said good things about the 361 and now you want us to tell you why stihl sell sub par saws.:dizzy: They all make cheaper saws that a homeowner can afford. You want a good saw look at the 441 460 line or maybe you should buy a 372 which is a good saw too.

The zealous stihl guys....

You just said good things about the 361 and now you want us to tell you why stihl sell sub par saws.:dizzy: They all make cheaper saws that a homeowner can afford. You want a good saw look at the 441 460 line or maybe you should buy a 372 which is a good saw too.

A few good things, not much....

I am just baffled why guys on this board are so zealous over stihl and all huskys are cr@p. The 441/460 are over kill for firewood.

I am not looking to troll... I am just pissed about wasting my time looking at cr@p.

Take your wild thing or 455 back to blowes and see if they will help ya. You get support with the little Stihls and a better built saw.

Get your dad a 441 or 460, he will be much happier.

Hey SS, :notrolls2: :notrolls2: :notrolls2:

Last edited:

I am just baffled why guys on this board are so zealous over stihl and all huskys are cr@p. The 441/460 are over kill for firewood.
In your sig you have Husky 372 on the way. You have made your choice so why stir up something. Husky and stihl both make homeowner saws and pro saws. You pay for what you get.

First off, I am not a stihl guy. The saw(s) I planned to buy was a gift for my father. The low end MS-1XX saws that looked at were just plain junk. All 50hr rated and pure plastic. I wonder what would happen if to one if it was dropped? I though that husky 137-142's were junky cr@p. Next I looked at the MS-2XX to MS-3XX series saws. All are 125hr rated and kinda girthy for their size. Still too much plastic for my tastes. Finally I picked up a MS-361, much better feeling. The cutch cover and oil tank were metal and better balanced then the others. Kinda pricey for what you get. It was rated for 300hrs and just look like a better engineered saw.

Some guys gave me cr@p over my Husky 455 Rancher (maybe in jest???) for being porky and under powered. For what stihl is charging for a less durable saw is crazy. My saw was a gift to me, but I know it cost about $379.00 'ish here is New Mexico at the time.

:monkey:

That "50 hour" rating is not the engine life, it is the warranted period for the EPA compliance of the emission control system. Ask Brad Snelling about his MS180. Fiber reinforced nylon (or plastic, as you say) is tougher than the meat from a 3 year old squirrel, and it lends itself well to a high power to weight ratio. If I didnt have a great little 009 (sorry AOD, it is not for sale), I would think about one for a lightweight campsite and trimming saw.

I think it would last well beyond the 50 hour rating.......:greenchainsaw:

Maybe this thread will be helpful.......
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=79219

Last edited:
And....

I look at my dads 13/14yr old stihl and it is built like a tank. You can see the quality built into it. The new saws for better or worse look like mattel built them. Maybe its just a decline of standards, like in cars or firearms. The just cant build them like they use too???? :greenchainsaw:

Hmm I just had a Thead aout 290 vs 361 and homeowner bought 290.Why because hes a homeowner not a pro using saw everyday. If Stihl only made pro saws dont you think they would loose sales.Now tell me how great your Husky is and how good they build saws and sell no plastic. And whats up with your avitar it looks like you like arabs! :sucks:

Gift

In your sig you have Husky 372 on the way. You have made your choice so why stir up something. Husky and stihl both make homeowner saws and pro saws. You pay for what you get.

Gift to my father, you can only give so much single malt scotch for gifts??? Did I just say that ?????????? LOL

L@@k

Hmm I just had a Thead aout 290 vs 361 and homeowner bought 290.Why because hes a homeowner not a pro using saw everyday. If Stihl only made pro saws dont you think they would loose sales.Now tell me how great your Husky is and how good they build saws and sell no plastic. And whats up with your avitar it looks like you like arabs! :sucks:

Look at the signs in the back ground............

Put on your glasses. It's Osama rooting for Obama.

No, I think the OP has basic sense, but is just a bit addled from breathing Husky fumes, so as not to recognize a well-built homeowner-grade saw. If he used one, he would likely recognize his error immediately......:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I look at my dads 13/14yr old stihl and it is built like a tank. You can see the quality built into it. The new saws for better or worse look like mattel built them. Maybe its just a decline of standards, like in cars or firearms. The just cant build them like they use too???? :greenchainsaw:

Husquvarna started the plastic (fisher-price) revolution long before Stihl, so I don't know why you are putting Husky on a pedestal.

The 441/460 are over kill for firewood.

Heh, you're just not cutting big enough wood. I love using my 660 with a 25" bar for 20"+ firewood, sure its a lil heavy, but the reward is well worth it. Then when I need it, I get out the 36" bar (and yes I've used it fairly often). We've got oaks up here that are huuuge. That hardwood and a 460 or 660 are a match made in heaven. They may just not be practical in NM but dont think no one else uses them. Although, I get what you're saying about the 1xx and 290, 310 and 390 (kinda). They're just not made to work all day everyday, but the price reflects that. Every brand has their homeowner grade saw, dont go comparing oranges to apples.

Latest posts

Back