Trip to the stihl store....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get what you pay for.

Most companies have to build the cost effective (aka-crap) lines in order to compete with others for market share. As well not all people need the top quality long lasting stuff.
However for a mid size saw I really like the 357XP (cut over 100 face cord and never missed a beat yet and still works like newly broken in), and at a little heavier and a little less power my MS290 has been pretty good so far for less money!
So figure out what you want to pay, figure out how much your father is going to use it and shop smart and accordingly.

Nothing wrong with a 290. I have probably 100 hours of professional abuse on one this year. I've also already gone through a 361 this year (it was pretty beat when I got it) and started on a fresh one today. I'd be happy if this one lasted until 2010. I expect it to last at least until 2012 if the Mayans were right and the universe as we know it comes to an end, and many more years if they were wrong.

Girly man pines

Heh, you're just not cutting big enough wood. I love using my 660 with a 25" bar for 20"+ firewood, sure its a lil heavy, but the reward is well worth it. Then when I need it, I get out the 36" bar (and yes I've used it fairly often). We've got oaks up here that are huuuge. That hardwood and a 460 or 660 are a match made in heaven. They may just not be practical in NM but dont think no one else uses them. Although, I get what you're saying about the 1xx and 290, 310 and 390 (kinda). They're just not made to work all day everyday, but the price reflects that. Every brand has their homeowner grade saw, dont go comparing oranges to apples.

Here in northern New Mexico, we mostly have pinion pine. It doesnt grow much past 18" where I cut at. There is almost no hardwood for us to cut for firewood. Thanks for agreeing about 1xx - 310. Some guys cant have a honest and open discussion on the merrits and con's about certain saws.

I am just floating thoughs and ideas to see where they go. Some people have to take it out of context....

Isn't this an interesting thread? We having fun yet kids:monkey:

I grew up running Remingtons, REAL Homies, and Stihls. When I bought my first Husky I thought to myself I would break the cheesy choke and on off levers in the first month or so. I haven't. I like the way the Stihl choke lever system is better myself, but.................

So, from the bottom..........

200t, nothing else comes close. Yes a Husky can do it, but whoever owns it has spent a LOT of money to get it there.

180, nice saw, I like these suckers!!! You mean o tell me a 142 or 146 will run with it? I don't think so! I've run both!! (matching common models here)

Then we get in to the conundrum. I don't like ANY of the Stihl 50cc models. Love the 350, hate the 455. .1HP and another 1lb? For real? I doubt I will run a 450, it's probably neutered by now.

361 is decent, 359 is lathargic stock, and the 357 is nice. Pick one, I doubt you will be unhappy.

440 and 372's are legends, 441 seems to be comming along fine, 570/575, well, not so much!

From there they all have good saws, Husky likes to rev, Stihl willtake a load better. Pick a saw.

Winners and loosers right? Easy enough.

Now for firewood, I use an 046BB, yeah it's overkill, but sure it gets it done fast!

Here in northern New Mexico, we mostly have pinion pine. It doesnt grow much past 18" where I cut at. There is almost no hardwood for us to cut for firewood. Thanks for agreeing about 1xx - 310. Some guys cant have a honest and open discussion on the merrits and con's about certain saws.

I am just floating thoughs and ideas to see where they go. Some people have to take it out of context....

I'm not really agreeing, just saying they have their time and place. Sure the 1xx are cheap saws, but for what they're made for, they fit the niche. The 290, 310 and 390 are awesome firewood saws for the homeowner. A little heavy but will cut for years and years and are actually pretty durable.

Wasted Freedoms

TROLL..... your avatar is the biggest waste of time I have seen in a while. Concentrate your efforts on finding your dad a good saw besides bashing brands. This site has too much of it already. Use the search function!!!!

If obama gets in and does what he and the lib dems want to this country. Us arguing over a stupid avatar is point less.... We might not have any where too use them or who knows what? Look at the picture and see what it stands for! Know history and global issues. Obama would love us to live in a orwellian world! Hamas likes the idea of obama for prez and that scares the hell out of me! Think outside the box and what the idiot box tells you too....

Glock 21

Oh man Glocks suck they are made of plastic they are cheap they stink they arent made in America they arent .45 they dont have a hammer they dont.................................................................................Your a Looser!:dizzy:

TROLL....

:notrolls2: :notrolls2: :notrolls2:

Here is crap for your 455.:spam: Otherwise known as an all orange Stihl 290.

Buy your Father the 372 or better yet let him pick out the saw he wants and spend some quality time shopping together.

1xx crap?

If someone had a digital video camera, i'd be happy to drop my 170, from say 5-6 feet? Just because a saw costs less than 200 bucks, and is feather light from plastic, doesn't make it crap...

What they've done here is engineered - keyword - engineered, a great end product. One that is lightweight, easy on gas, comfortable to use, surprisingly durable, and considerably well-performing. Oh yeah, and they've managed to do all that for about 180.00 USD. Not to mention they have great product support for both parts and service...

If I were someone wanting to cut the occasional back-yard tree limb, or saw up some wood for a bon-fire, why on earth woud I pay more than that for a saw? Simply put, unless you're a kid like the rest of us, there's really no reason to... Moving up to the home fire-wood cutter? Well they have the mid-range 270-390 saws. And what they have there is of no less value than their cheaper, or professional saws...

Please note, I have two Stihl saws, have been pretty pleased with them. I haven't had many opportunities to use any Husqvarna or Dolmar or other saws, but given the chance, I'd like to, and I'm sure I'd be pretty equally pleased with some, if not most of those as well. But the truth of the matter is this; Untill you've made a pile of chips with a saw(s), don't go on a rant about it... Speak from your experience, not your assumptions...

Back