West Coast Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've personally never seen one blow up yet although, i've seen many that were blown up. i just hope that if one blows up mid cut on film someone posts the vid. :D

Just check it with a temp gun every cut shane.

I gotta learn you boys everything.

You are welcome, I thank you for being patient with my antics.

"EMD 645" , classic! They have some great history. If you see an engine come through your division with some graffiti which reads "Chevy's rule so don't drool"
Thats just me saying hI.

"commi nationalisn rwy." How dare he say such about your place of employment. Absolutely & complete deprication!
Nothing could be further from the tru....
Hey wait a minute. Now that I think about it. They sure do a lot of advertising for China.
"Commi Nationalisn Rwy" that Is pretty funny.

I saw a 4 engine heading for a rockie mountain climb a month ago. (Kamloops BC - Calgary AB.) I don't believe I have seen that before. It had TWO in the front.
When I saw the middle engine then I counted almost 80 cars. Possible 150 cars total with many stacked up. That's some heavy advertisement.

Yes I realize the 661 was the focus. I tried to address most all the comments.
I don't know a lot about the saw. I have not seen any seasoned WCF (stihl loyalists) run them thus far. It's hard to give up what becomes your style. I have been running ported 37I/372 since they come out nearly 21 yrs. Most all the Stihl vets has been running 066/660 for 28 yrs. There is a lot of them. With out a doubt the 661 will build reputation and be a great saw. Reminds me much of the Husqvarna 562. They had a world of issues that went on for years. It came a long way and so will the 661.
If 'some saw' rolls in off the assembly line to take over a saw that's been with the faller for nearly 30 yrs then it has to be DAM! perfect. That I can truthfully give it to you straight.

Out with the old, in with the new.
Such the cycle of life, such the cycle of chainsaws.

Ha! "Love It" ... many thanks!

I did come across this... just incase, 111.jpg

The few guys I have known that had 661 didn't keep them very long they had nothing but issues two burnt up pretty quick.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The 390 is pretty dominant in BC
I've been on small crews with all 390's
But there is the loyal stihl guys. It changes by crews.
Many guys have 660 &461
If the 461 is ported properly and tweaked out to the max with anti vib full wrap equipped with square chisel then IMO, its the best saw on the market. It's far from a failure? That's ludicrous! The 390 retired the 395 10 years ago here. Now "Junkman" will tell you ever faller he knows in Northwest Washington runs stihl. I know a lot do as well a lot in the Alaskan pan. It's the same crowd. I've cut there. As far as Axeman goes Pfffff
All I've ever seen them cut is 2nd & 3 rd growth fir. Not to say some guys aren't 'west coast' fallers but that doesn't qualify anyone to be a 'west coast' faller. Many contractors and unions want certain timber type experience and time length.
It be far from 390 ground. There is falling on the west coast & there is 'west coast'falling. Much of the second growth will be much larger on residential because the trees won't be competing for crown competition as well all the best soil and nutrients wash down.

Don't believe a word that Junkman says ,he is full of bullchit .

I'd love to see the real deal....

don't be confused now. i'm sure Jack gets into some stuff but everything in his vids is very very easy cutting and the ground is as good as it gets. i've personally never seen ground as nice as in his vids since i started falling ever. there are some places inland coast that have big wood but nothing even comes close to the true coast ground. not taking anything away from his skill set or any others but youtube only shows you the cool stuff. it doesn't show the blood, sweat, and tears lol fact of the matter is, if your a faller from inland looking to work on the coast employers here automatically see it as having to retrain you even if you only live a couple 100 miles inland. people see BC and western states as west coast. they are on this side of the continent but only a small amount of of each i would call actual west coast cutting terrain. just cause a guy is a cutter from the west does not make him a west coast faller. many guys falling 20+ years inland come here for their wake up call. you'll know what i'm talking about when it comes to ground when you have to tie your gas and oil to a tree so you don't lose it into your F&B. lol

don't be confused now. i'm sure Jack gets into some stuff but everything in his vids is very very easy cutting and the ground is as good as it gets. i've personally never seen ground as nice as in his vids since i started falling ever. there are some places inland coast that have big wood but nothing even comes close to the true coast ground. not taking anything away from his skill set or any others but youtube only shows you the cool stuff. it doesn't show the blood, sweat, and tears lol fact of the matter is, if your a faller from inland looking to work on the coast employers here automatically see it as having to retrain you even if you only live a couple 100 miles inland. people see BC and western states as west coast. they are on this side of the continent but only a small amount of of each i would call actual west coast cutting terrain. just cause a guy is a cutter from the west does not make him a west coast faller. many guys falling 20+ years inland come here for their wake up call. you'll know what i'm talking about when it comes to ground when you have to tie your gas and oil to a tree so you don't lose it into your F&B. lol
It's never fun when the ground is that steep having to try to thin a patch of big stuff done it on my place and there's never a place to go.

It's never fun when the ground is that steep having to try to thin a patch of big stuff done it on my place and there's never a place to go.

it's to the point where i'm not even sure what to call flat anymore. one would think flat is level surface but if a west coast faller tells you the ground is flat it's still very likely a 40-60% grade lol

Back