West Coast Fallers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wanted to write Husqvarna slogans and have Custom shirts made up way back in the 90's. (Must be a law against it)
Brian has inspired me to keep the dream Alive....

Here is one from 25+ yrs ago

There is in fact only one way to skin a cat
20150430_114123.jpg

_ _ <><><><><>Husqvarna<><><><><>_ _

Considiering it was half my life ago, which has been most of my adult years, then naturally I would have matured a great deal.

Husqavarna
Miles above the competition
IMG_20160916_105216967.jpgwhere performance isn't judged in fathoms

don't be confused now. i'm sure Jack gets into some stuff but everything in his vids is very very easy cutting and the ground is as good as it gets. i've personally never seen ground as nice as in his vids since i started falling ever. there are some places inland coast that have big wood but nothing even comes close to the true coast ground. not taking anything away from his skill set or any others but youtube only shows you the cool stuff. it doesn't show the blood, sweat, and tears lol fact of the matter is, if your a faller from inland looking to work on the coast employers here automatically see it as having to retrain you even if you only live a couple 100 miles inland. people see BC and western states as west coast. they are on this side of the continent but only a small amount of of each i would call actual west coast cutting terrain. just cause a guy is a cutter from the west does not make him a west coast faller. many guys falling 20+ years inland come here for their wake up call. you'll know what i'm talking about when it comes to ground when you have to tie your gas and oil to a tree so you don't lose it into your F&B. lol

I understand...just a quick response. "I'd look into South Coast Standing Stem, Pics, Canadian documentaries, etc...

"I do watch, and practice the BC Faller Training Standard videos"

Incredible challenge to provide North America's resources & what you do "Well Respected" Thank You! heli.jpg

"395" for a 42 perhaps ?
No 42" in that heap or 395's
All 390's and my 375 on the back sling. There is 42" in that heap somewhere off to the left of page below. There's a blow down that needed a 42" to buck I was going to cut all I could with the 36" and then borrow a 42" to get the little bit left the next day. but I thought it would be safer for the rigging crew to do. The helicopter can spin it. It had a sketchy huge root wad hanging over me About 30 Feet high. Basically I Jamed out...lol. They have 880 with bars as long as 84" Thats where the big trees grow on the banks. That's where all the good food is. There's the top through my bottom boundary that I had to deal with.IMG_20160916_111526843.jpg IMG_20160916_111312868.jpg
IMG_20160916_061248114_HDR.jpg

I order work clothes direct from "RB Vision" ... X required at CN. "The Island would be the only place I'd like to visit one day"

Our challenge: 10k Ton's of Viceroy. 3.2 % grade for 16 miles on 10mph Track ... anything along the Lake Superior Shoreline

Not uncommon to reach -30 F. Ambient. zero visibility. IMG-20141120-00723 (1).jpg IMG-20130220-00020.jpg

I understand...just a quick response. "I'd look into South Coast Standing Stem, Pics, Canadian documentaries, etc...

"I do watch, and practice the BC Faller Training Standard videos"

Incredible challenge to provide North America's resources & what you do "Well Respected" Thank You! View attachment 590926
"Bark shaver" Thats Trevor. I fell with him in 2012. Our Superior we had got killed a few years later bucking blow down and the root wad fell and pined him against a rock face. Is that pic from South (Island) coast standing stem?
Then that is probably Shawnagan Lake east coast of Vancouver Island. I can tell by the Douglas fir cedar mix. Could be back of Harrison Lake or way up Rivers inlet on the main land too?

No 42" in that heap or 95"
All 390's and my 375 on the back sling. There is 42" in that heap somewhere off to the left of page below. There's a blow down that needed a 42" to buck I was going to cut all I could with the 36" and then borrow a 42" to get the little bit left the next day. but I thought it would be safer for the rigging crew to do. The helicopter can spin it. It had a sketchy huge root wad hanging over me About 30 Feet high Basically I Jamed out...lol. They have 880 with bars as long as 84" Thats where the big trees grow on the banks. That's where all the good food is. There's the top through my bottom boundary that I had to deal with.View attachment 590933 View attachment 590931
View attachment 590930

God Bless....

Are your 42's Cannon, Oregon ...

Not to carry away from that raucous ... Has a crew ever entertained a Sugi ?

"Bark shaver" Thats Trevor. I fell with him in 2012. Our Superior we had got killed a few years later bucking blow down and the root wad fell and pined him against a rock face. Is that pic from South (Island) coast trading stem?
Then that is probably Shawnagan Lake east coast of Vancouver Island. I can tell by the Douglas fir cedar mix. Could be back of Harrison Lake or way up Rivers inlet on the main land too?

I saved that pic "from someone's post here"

God Bless....

* I ment to say 395...not 95"
I don't own a 42" anymore. Thats a bunch of the guys spare gear as well companys gear, like the Borntrager jack. You can cut a big tree with a 36" If you do it right. It's the bucking where you are more likely to need A 42 To Get The Middle on oversized at times. Most 42 are Oregon. I don't see many Sugi bars.

God Bless....

i have a 42" cannon, they are so rarely needed i've never even thought about bringing it to camp. you'll work with some guys who carry a 90cc spare saw with a 42" but there main saw is a 70cc with a 33-36". they seem to use the 42" all the time but work with other guys and they will cut up bigger stuff with the 36" then the last guy did with the 42". i prefer to toss my spare powerhead under the pad and just take a spare 36" bar. only time i needed something bigger i at first tried to get out of bucking it and leaving it for the rigging mostly cause we were done there and didn't want to go back with the big saw. that didn't work so i borrowed the 880 and 60". you wouldn't believe the joke most riggers call a chain lol. never seen a sugi here ever and even the tsumura's have about disappeared compared to when they first came out. everyone runs either a heavy weight oregon or a stihl light. other then 54"+ bars i don't remember ever seeing a cannon in camp that wasn't mine.

i have a 42" cannon, they are so rarely needed i've never even thought about bringing it to camp. you'll work with some guys who carry a 90cc spare saw with a 42" but there main saw is a 70cc with a 33-36". they seem to use the 42" all the time but work with other guys and they will cut up bigger stuff with the 36" then the last guy did with the 42". i prefer to toss my spare powerhead under the pad and just take a spare 36" bar. only time i needed something bigger i at first tried to get out of bucking it and leaving it for the rigging mostly cause we were done there and didn't want to go back with the big saw. that didn't work so i borrowed the 880 and 60". you wouldn't believe the joke most riggers call a chain lol. never seen a sugi here ever and even the tsumura's have about disappeared compared to when they first came out. everyone runs either a heavy weight oregon or a stihl light. other then 54"+ bars i don't remember ever seeing a cannon in camp that wasn't mine.
How big are the trees you come across Shane ?Seems like a 36 should cut through almost 6 feet of stump from both sides ,that's pretty big .

How big are the trees you come across Shane ?Seems like a 36 should cut through almost 6 feet of stump from both sides ,that's pretty big .

it changes at every job but very rare have i come across stuff like that and that one in particular i was working with someone. most times it's just a couple fatties throughout a block of smaller to mid size wood. it's not like i'm saying it's a block of all big fatties like that lol a 36" can do alot but even medium size wood on a slope can be a challenge without the reach. i know what's called a 36" is actually more like a 34.5" and the 37" is actually a true 36". the 37" to me feels to long and it's only 1.5" longer then the 36" but then the 33" feels to short and it's only 1.5" shorter then the 36". i would take the 33" over the 37" though. seems any 37 except the cannons throw a chain when the wind blows wrong lol.

Never heard of 33 inch bar is that a Husky size ? Most run a 32 around here .

Never heard of 33 inch bar is that a Husky size ? Most run a 32 around here .

very well could be husky only. not 100% sure. i know many guys who run a 32 - 33" and get along just fine, it's just not my first choice. i run the 36" in wood i could get away with a 28" anyways though. perfect length for limbing and i like the reach for other situations so i really have no use for anything shorter. i've knew some small japanese fallers who ran 28 - 30" bars. amazing they got anything done really cause they were always in big wood lol i believe both are retired now.

Latest posts

Back