whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took some logs to the a amish guy with a bandsaw mill yesturday afternoon. Guy is real nice, and let me run the mill some. Unfortanitly it just made me want to buy one even more. He milled me 1600 bdft of white and red oak for $150. Most of the boards are 5/4" x 12" x 16'. Gonna have it kiln dried, then i am gonna start to turn it into furniture.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You ever do any tree work for the Amish? Pretty amazing people. I always thought that one of them would make the perfect groundman with the work ethic they have.

Thought I was going to get alot done today....wrong, got to the job, going to take out a pine, bigshot my climbing line in, to then set pull line, getting ready to put saddle on.........started cramping up bad, no bathroon in sight, uggg, lucky im a 3 or so miles from home, hop in truck and make beeline home.......ugggg, take some imodium and kick back for hours , got back to job site (100deg. now) and "MURPHED" that pine down...lol

Going back tomorrow to buck and chip, I hope

Got another job to go quote tomorrow evening. Gonna take the next two days and get my stump grinder back together finally. :(

I never did any tree work for the Amish. They pretty much can do anything themselfs or have a brother or cousin that can.

I picked up my boards today. Gonna make a new office desk out of them.

attachment.php

You ever do any tree work for the Amish? Pretty amazing people. I always thought that one of them would make the perfect groundman with the work ethic they have.

You know, one might THINK they would and even to me it sounds like a good idea at first but in reality I dunno. Think about it.

Got another job to go quote tomorrow evening. Gonna take the next two days and get my stump grinder back together finally. :(

I never did any tree work for the Amish. They pretty much can do anything themselfs or have a brother or cousin that can.

I picked up my boards today. Gonna make a new office desk out of them.

attachment.php

My only regret is that i wasn't born Amish.

Using our crane mon. when all of a sudden it stopped turning. we had up and down but no left or right. lucky for us it was pretty much right over the cradle and empty when it happened. new swing motor installed 7200.00 and I won't have it back for at least a week :cry:

Using our crane mon. when all of a sudden it stopped turning. we had up and down but no left or right. lucky for us it was pretty much right over the cradle and empty when it happened. new swing motor installed 7200.00 and I won't have it back for at least a week :cry:
I feel for you. When something like that happens it's hard not to count the days that your working for nothing.
Phil

Got the guys set up on a terrible job this morning and then dropped the truck off to have it detailed. Paid a local company $500 to wash, clay, and wax my truck, I think I got shafted. Other than that, looked at a job or two and got some money.

I think I'm gonna have to tell one of the new guys to drag his ass today. I basically hired this guy as a groundman. I guess he figured he was gonna be my boss. Now that its becoming clear to him that that's not the way it works, he seems to have copped a major attitude. Time to fire before I kill. I mean I never met a more annoying mother####er in all my years of doing this ####... just the way he breathes is bothersome.

Welcome to the tree service. Yea! :dizzy:

Oh well, I'm fairly confident I can find something better next time. Lol.

I think I'm gonna have to tell one of the new guys to drag his ass today. I basically hired this guy as a groundman. I guess he figured he was gonna be my boss. Now that its becoming clear to him that that's not the way it works, he seems to have copped a major attitude. Time to fire before I kill. I mean I never met a more annoying mother####er in all my years of doing this ####... just the way he breathes is bothersome.

Welcome to the tree service. Yea! :dizzy:

Oh well, I'm fairly confident I can find something better next time. Lol.

Or my luck worse then him

slammed

With storm work since Tuesday, worked til 200 in the morning, all crane work, trees on houses (insurance jobs), was awesome! Worked with another company who already had a 60 tn terex on their site. Had to get used to the OP. My usual guy is camping and away this week! Worked some long days, had to turn away at least 20 people asking us to take trees off their houses. Looked like a tornado went thru the area! Tons of companies (real ones) hacks just can't do or have the equipment for these! Very technical pics, trees were on top of each other, binded into houses, you name it! Worst I have seen in a long time! Youngbuck 20 helped us out yesterday and is again tomorrow. Met Squad 143 from here finally as we were working on the same street. He can confirm the carnage! Anyways haven't slept much in the past few days, back at it tomorrow! GRCS has been kept busy! Oh yeah ordered a new Edge harness for me and my climber, they were on my back step when I got home tonight. All I can say is wow! Very comfy, light and can't wait to use it tomorrow! Most profitable week.....ever!

Last edited:
Past couple days I've been killing scrub trees, box elder and ash mostly. Too small to warrant the Wraptor, or in too dense of canopy to toss a throw-line. I was surprised I was able to gaff up the trees without stopping :laugh: on Tuesday i did some seven 40-60 ft ash poles in regrowth canopy, and a 60 ft bass wwood that was a bit thicker. PITA sliding the stuff through with minimum damage to that understory. Interesting change of pace though, Monday I got my butt kicked doing fine deadwood to green ash, those tall muli-stem where there is little place to stand. I could only do it for four hours before my arms were falling off :laugh:

With storm work since Tuesday, worked til 200 in the morning, all crane work, trees on houses (insurance jobs), was awesome! Worked with another company who already had a 60 tn terex on their site. Had to get used to the OP. My usual guy is camping and away this week! Worked some long days, had to turn away at least 20 people asking us to take trees off their houses. Looked like a tornado went thru the area! Tons of companies (real ones) hacks just can't do or have the equipment for these! Very technical pics, trees were on top of each other, binded into houses, you name it! Worst I have seen in a long time! Youngbuck 20 helped us out yesterday and is again tomorrow. Met Squad 143 from here finally as we were working on the same street. He can confirm the carnage! Anyways haven't slept much in the past few days, back at it tomorrow! GRCS has been kept busy! Oh yeah ordered a new Edge harness for me and my climber, they were on my back step when I got home tonight. All I can say is wow! Very comfy, light and can't wait to use it tomorrow! Most profitable week.....ever!

Ya, tons of damage. Great finally meeting you in person Devon.
Was able to help Mike (MC Tree Service) for the day, before heading up to Haliburton for a full day yesterday. Hydro had done a disconnect so I could drop two trees and they were hooking the line back up that day, so I had to get it done. Additionally, I'm supposed to be on holidays this week and had company coming to the cottage.
It all worked out. Good working with Mike.

Got my first crane ride, did a few picks.
Unfortunately all my gear and equipment were up north and I was coming from the city. Had to stop by the Arborist supply store and pick up new chainsaw pants and helmet. Used Mike's saddle. More comfortable with my stuff, but it was fun just the same. Looked like a newbie with the new gear.

Working with Mike next week, still cleaning up.

Got some good pics, but don't know how to upload them from my iPhone.

Sent from my iphone

Last edited:
Back