What-a-stihls first tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a steel core not so much because it adds any safety but because it is stiffer and easier to flip up while you are ascending. Especially works well on an Ivy covered tree.

And yes, I do use two tie in points when I'm making a cut. My first teacher harped on that and it has stuck with me. Never cut myself out of a lanyard but things can go real wrong real quick when running a chainsaw in a tree. I usually just take a second to run my climbing line around the spar and clip in.

That's closer to a fence than I would have chanced-

Ya did good w.a.s. ! I hope that name doesn't become prophetic...

That chain link fence was right there man, I don't let any one climb the tricky ones- unless their pay check will cover the damages... lol

Just keep being safe that is the important thing- Speed will come once you have your tree legs- but eventually you will slow down and find your pace, I had a guy working for me that was crazy fast- 64 years old- he would walk up, cut up, cut down and come down.

He went to see his sister in Ohio a few years ago, climbed the neighbors tree, cut the top out, took a ride until the spar broke and came down on his chest- 40 or so feet down to the ground, wine making is less damaging to the grape then the tree was to him- RIP.

Be careful it's dangerous out there

:chainsawguy:

adding the climbing rope to his training will be very soon, on a straight forward tree like a pine, his first time went well.

100% tie in and cutting with 2 lines will be gospel to him while working with me.
a climbing helmet, too.

Last edited:
Nice 1st job :clap:
,but +1 on the 2nd tie in advice.

It sucks falling to the ground with a saw in your hand.
Don't ask me how I know.

PS.Wait untill summer and you get the first sight of the girl next door laying by the pool in the bikini.:cheers:

Last edited:
Nice looking job for sure! I dont have the kahoonas to climb a tree so I respect someone that will. Is that all you have holding you is one rope around the tree?? doug

good job on the tree man

I used to love it but after working for a tree service with a bucket truck for a while I lost my intrest in climbing and got fat LOL

Nice Job!!

Slayer....I like that set up! dump trailer to one pickup & chipper to the other! looks like that works pretty good.

LXT..............

good job on the tree man

I used to love it but after working for a tree service with a bucket truck for a while I lost my intrest in climbing and got fat LOL

I doubt you really loved it that much then.

Real nice job on the tree. I second what the dan was saying about the two tie ins, but that has been covered.

This gets me excited for these two Larix I just picked up yesterday. same type of deal, except I'll be standing on my comfy gecko's and running my oldirty tweeked 200 with the rakers down nice. Should be a cakewalk.

Spring is good indeed! :cheers:

I doubt you really loved it that much then.

Real nice job on the tree. I second what the dan was saying about the two tie ins, but that has been covered.

This gets me excited for these two Larix I just picked up yesterday. same type of deal, except I'll be standing on my comfy gecko's and running my oldirty tweeked 200 with the rakers down nice. Should be a cakewalk.

Spring is good indeed! :cheers:

I put on Daves spikes and what a difference in comfort a good pair of gaffs are, wish I had a set of geckos. Hey thanks bud, good luck

Nice to see a new guy climb. I have not had any one go up for me in 15 yrs. that was a rookie. I would like to have a good new climber but most of the time the removals I do are so close to stuff I can't afford to risk any damage.

Yup, nice job Josh. That was a really good first tree.

Thanks man. Where abouts in wisconsin are ya? My grandpa is from the hayward area, we go walleye fishing every may and all summer there. I love it up there, wish I could find work and I'd be gone, anywhere but illinois.

Speaking of finding work, just got called back to start a retirement home next week, looks like it's just tree work on the weekends now, it'll be nice to work 7 days a week again.

Thanks man. Where abouts in wisconsin are ya? My grandpa is from the hayward area, we go walleye fishing every may and all summer there. I love it up there, wish I could find work and I'd be gone, anywhere but illinois.

An hour from Hayward. Hayward is a great place, has the lumberjack festival too.

Speaking of finding work, just got called back to start a retirement home next week, looks like it's just tree work on the weekends now, it'll be nice to work 7 days a week again.

ahhh too bad, you were well on the way to becoming "Tree man of the year".

good luck

An hour from Hayward. Hayward is a great place, has the lumberjack festival too.
yeah i don't miss a lumberjack contest, i think it starts july 24th this year, I'll be there. The paul bunyun breakfast next door is awesome too. My grandpa is from Trego, heard of it? We had a place on sand lake too.

Latest posts

Back