What E10 is good for!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking for a real life example not a liberal egg head government taxpayer paid for study.

I never figured you to be the type of man to buy into the liberal MSM crap. Hell lets just all drive a PRIUS eat seaweed, and let the fertile fields grow up in brush.
Wow, pathetic. Quite surprised at you.
end trans…

Well show me a loss in energy. Does that mean the old truck does not make it to the top of the mountain as fast or what.

Go tell the Indy car drivers they are wrong this weekend.

https://www.iowaspeedway.com/
Years ago I ran 10% ethanol vs non-ethanol in a car that got 45ish miles to the gallon (3 cylinder metro) and tracked the mileage all the time making mods to the car to improve it. I remember running 10% ethanol cost me 5 MPG so the cost ended up being the same to run non-ethanol not sure if that still holds true today. There is less btu's in ethanol than gas so it's always going to produce less power gallon for gallon.

Well show me a loss in energy. Does that mean the old truck does not make it to the top of the mountain as fast or what.

Go tell the Indy car drivers they are wrong this weekend.

https://www.iowaspeedway.com/
There is not as much energy stored in the chemical bonds of an alcohol compared to a hydrocarbon. Part of the molecule of an alcohol is already oxidized.

You can do the calculations. Take an equal mass or volume of alcohol vs hydrocarbon and convert it to carbon dioxide and water (ideal situation). Would make a good freshman college chemistry exam question.

Methane gives you the most output , as the single carbon atom is fully reduced, then saturated hydrocarbons, followed by alkenes, then aromatics.

An analogy would be to compare burning white pine vs oak in your woodstove. You get more heat from the oak. Although that is not the same chemically.

The reason Indy cars use methanol is more complex. Alcohols have a higher heat of vaporization, so there is a cooling effect on the mixture coming into the cylinder. Since it is cooler it is also more dense, that is more fuel mixture gets into the cylinder for a bigger bang. The cooler mixture also allows higher compression ratio without detonation. That along with alcohols have a higher "octane" rating, or tendency to detonate.

It is also good for.....

1. Supporting hard working farmers.
2. Providing good paying US jobs
3. Providing a renewable fuel source that can be GROWN IN THE USA
4.. Keeping our great country out of foreign wars to fight for oil
5. SAVING LIVES!!!!! from unneeded wars.

By all means carry on

Man you are delusional.

Ethanol added to gasoline supports hard working farmers and provides good paying US jobs by costing everyone else money that they wouldn't have otherwise spent. It's nothing but a welfare scheme.

The ethanol added to gasoline takes more energy to produce than we get out of it. We're burning MORE fossil fuels by adding 10% ethanol to our fuel, not less fossil fuels. That means it's NOT a renewable fuel, it's making us get into more foreign wars to fight for oil(which I 10,000% disagree with us getting into, we should be leaving other people alone and burning our own oil), and sure as hell isn't saving lives.

You've said elsewhere that you farm corn. There's a reason you've bought into these lies, and your credibility on this subject is zero.

Man you are delusional.

It supports hard working farmers and provides good paying US jobs by costing everyone else money that they wouldn't have otherwise spent. It's nothing but a welfare system.

The alcohol added to gasoline takes more energy to produce than it we get out of it. We're burning MORE fossil fuels by adding 10% ethanol to our fuel, not less fossil fuels. That means it's NOT a renewable fuel, it's making us get into more foreign wars to fight for oil(which I 10,000% disagree with us getting into), and sure as hell isn't saving lives.

You've said elsewhere that you farm corn. There's a reason you've bought into these lies, and your credibility on this subject is zero.
Well there is a reason you have bought into the propaganda you preach.

Well show me a loss in energy.
Volume-for-volume, ethanol contains only about 64% of the energy of conventional (100%) gasoline.
Another way of saying that is that ethanol contains 36% less energy, per unit of volume, than gasoline.
Conventional gasoline = 20,007 BTU/gallon. Ethanol = 12,832 BTU/gallon.

Mass-for-mass, the ratios are about the same.
A given mass of ethanol has only about 64% of the energy of the same mass of conventional gasoline.
Another way of saying that is that ethanol contains 36% less energy, per unit of mass, than gasoline.
Gasoline = 46.5 MJ/kg. Ethanol = 29.8 MJ/kg.

Source:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fossil-fuels-energy-content-d_1298.html

It is also good for.....

1. Supporting hard working farmers.
2. Providing good paying US jobs
3. Providing a renewable fuel source that can be GROWN IN THE USA
4.. Keeping our great country out of foreign wars to fight for oil
5. SAVING LIVES!!!!! from unneeded wars.

By all means carry on
It's not renewable.
Farmers are one of the largest consumers of government subsidies. They don't need anymore help.
And ethanol does squat for either of your last two points.

It's not renewable.
Farmers are one of the largest consumers of government subsidies. They don't need anymore help.
And ethanol does squat for either of your last two points.
I would love to hear your vast knowledge of "government farm subsidies"

By the way who is it you work for again?

Ethanol is nothing but farmer qelfare to the corn states. It's not beneficial at all and to the contrary is detrimental.
We are mining our soil to produce ethanol.
What would you have us do with the soil?

By the way remind me, who is it you work for?

Back