What E10 is good for!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use apples to make cider, 22% abv. Easier than beer View attachment 1099456

How are you getting it to 22%? By freezing and straining?

I've made apple/sugar wine, too, and I used the most alcohol-tolerant yeast I could find (Pasteur Champagne) ... and that yeast dies at about 14% alcohol. (And it slows down fermenting to a CRAWL above about 10%, according to my hydrometer.)

I've never heard of any yeast that could survive much more than 14%, but it's been many years since I made apple wine...

I've been a lifetime member in the Seed Savers Exchange since 1982 and save quite a few varieties. I used to offer them up on the SSE world wide exchange but I was getting used as a seed company and it took time. I seen our around 200 packets one year and went back to see if they were re-offered by anyone and only 1 person was re-offering. I would list as Limited Quantity which meant only members already offering seed on the exchange could ask me for seed. At one time I was offering 15 different heirloom tomatoes and eight kinds of beans.
That's a pretty awesome thing đź‘Ź

The stalks and leaves often get bailed and sent to feed lots. At least they do out here. So all is not lost. Also the left over mash gets sold to feedlots as well.
It's still a huge scam that funnels money to Cargill, ADM and other big corporations.
Bailed and chopped are 2 entirely different things. Lots of producers around here 'bale' corn stover for bedding, very few chop it if any and it's not 'mash', it's DDG or dried distillers grains, which makes a good supplemental feed for cattle. Used to use it myself when the local distiller gave it away. They are long gone btw.

How are you getting it to 22%? By freezing and straining?

I've made apple/sugar wine, too, and I used the most alcohol-tolerant yeast I could find (Pasteur Champagne) ... and that yeast dies at about 14% alcohol. (And it slows down fermenting to a CRAWL above about 10%, according to my hydrometer.)

I've never heard of any yeast that could survive much more than 14%, but it's been many years since I made apple wine...
There are yeasts that take > 20%abv. Hard to find. EC-1118 is good for ~18%.

A good way to tell if the yeast is drunk, check taste. If it's sweet yeast is pickeled, if it is "dry" they yeast ate the sugar. I watch the bubbler and check when it stops.
Now when you say GMO do you mean selective breeding, or gene editing?
No, an unnatural process where genes are inserted into an organism, gene splicing. Nothing natural about it.

They snip native DNA and insert the desired sequence of new DNA, this may be synthetic and/or from a different organism.

I've been a lifetime member in the Seed Savers Exchange since 1982 and save quite a few varieties. I used to offer them up on the SSE world wide exchange but I was getting used as a seed company and it took time. I sent out around 200 packets one year and went back to see if they were re-offered by anyone and only 1 person was re-offering. I would list as Limited Quantity which meant only members already offering seed on the exchange could ask me for seed. At one time I was offering 15 different heirloom tomatoes and eight kinds of beans.
Del I've been saving seeds a long time now. I'd even trade ones with a liberal/leftist! Politics aside.

I do tomato, pepper, bean, kale, more ........

I did heirloom asparagus this year. First time from seeds. Those are >1' tall now, enough for a new patch (16).
Parents make a thumb thick stalk and patch is older than me.
1 asparagus.jpg

Del I've been saving seeds a long time now. I'd even trade ones with a liberal/leftist! Politics aside.

I do tomato, pepper, bean, kale, more ........

I did heirloom asparagus this year. First time from seeds. Those are >1' tall now, enough for a new patch (16).
Parents make a thumb thick stalk and patch is older than me.
View attachment 1099743
Looks good.

In the mid eighties I bought an ounce of a new variety of asparagus. It was NJ Syn 4-56. I believe it later was known as Jersey Night, an almost all male hybrid. I got 750 seedlings which my father and I planted in eight 135 ft. rows. Dad sold asparagus for years at his curbside produce stand. I made a large bed from 2x4's and a 4x8ft. sheet of plywood lined with plastic and started the whole ounce. Those small asparagus plants took some real care for the first couple of years. Maybe one in 50 came up female. I'm growing a very similar cultivar today with about the same 50/1 male/female ratio. The males don't expend energy into seed production so they are higher yielders. Also an asparagus patch can get weedy with it's own seedlings resulting in crowded plants with smaller spears. Dad has since passed and I moved 700 miles south leaving my asparagus patch and my first house and garden behind. Dad sold tons of asparagus over the years and had a good sized groups of repeat customers many of which we got to know rather well in our small town in southern Delaware. One of my main garden motivators when I was about 20 was to out garden my Dad, which I did, and we became a great gardening combination. We had a 1952 International Super C tractor and two troy bilt tillers and I still have the two tiller today. I miss him a lot and he's been gone since 2010. I talk to him sometimes even today while gardening but he lets me do all of the talking.

Bailed and chopped are 2 entirely different things. Lots of producers around here 'bale' corn stover for bedding, very few chop it if any and it's not 'mash', it's DDG or dried distillers grains, which makes a good supplemental feed for cattle. Used to use it myself when the local distiller gave it away. They are long gone btw.
I'm not talking about chopping. They bail the stalks, leaves, etc after combining. They then bail and add to their feed grinder when they are mixing the daily ration.
Distillers is spent and dried mash...
Some guys do chop corn for silage, but that's an entirely different animal.

Looks good.

In the mid eighties I bought an ounce of a new variety of asparagus. It was NJ Syn 4-56. I believe it later was known as Jersey Night, an almost all male hybrid. I got 750 seedlings which my father and I planted in eight 135 ft. rows. Dad sold asparagus for years at his curbside produce stand. I made a large bed from 2x4's and a 4x8ft. sheet of plywood lined with plastic and started the whole ounce. Those small asparagus plants took some real care for the first couple of years. Maybe one in 50 came up female. I'm growing a very similar cultivar today with about the same 50/1 male/female ratio. The males don't expend energy into seed production so they are higher yielders. Also an asparagus patch can get weedy with it's own seedlings resulting in crowded plants with smaller spears. Dad has since passed and I moved 700 miles south leaving my asparagus patch and my first house and garden behind. Dad sold tons of asparagus over the years and had a good sized groups of repeat customers many of which we got to know rather well in our small town in southern Delaware. One of my main garden motivators when I was about 20 was to out garden my Dad, which I did, and we became a great gardening combination. We had a 1952 International Super C tractor and two troy bilt tillers and I still have the two tiller today. I miss him a lot and he's been gone since 2010. I talk to him sometimes even today while gardening but he lets me do all of the talking.
I pick asparagus from irrigation ditches out here where it grows wild. Much better than store bought.

Looks good.

Did you put the asparagus starts in the final bed the first fall? I'm wondering about keeping them potted overwinter and giving them another summer before putting them in the final bed.

Did you put the asparagus starts in the final bed the first fall? I'm wondering about keeping them potted overwinter and giving them another summer before putting them in the final bed.

Yes, the first fall. But it was really winter because we planted them just after Christmas. It made for a lot of weeding their first spring in the ground. The grew into healthy small plants in the ground their second year of life but took a lot of hand weeding that first year. We planted in trenches about 10 inched deep and only buried them a couple of inches deep and hoed soil back into the trench progressively during the summer. I don't believe such small plants would have been able to push up through 10 inches of soil their first spring in the ground even in our sandy soil. It took a lot of hand care that first summer pulling weeds and hoeing. Some took off and other were slower resulting in rows that had depressions where the slower plants were growing while other had been leveled to ground level by mid summer. By fall we had hand leveled all of them. It was quite thrilling that first year in the ground as spears pushed up. Early in the spring the new spears were pencil lead sized but by mid summer most were pushing up #2 pencil sized spears. Thank goodness as those tiny spears were a lot of work keeping the competing weeds down. We didn't use any herbicides but there are some listed for use in asparagus. A pre emergent would have cut our weed pressure for sure.

A second year in containers might be wise.

Even though the small plants had become quite entangled in our 4 ft. x 8 ft planting container, when it came time to plant them while they were dormant they easily pulled apart from each other.

Birthing an asparagus patch with 750 crowns is a lot of work and if it weren't for the fact that those small crowns really wanted to grow, we would have failed. (anthropomorphically speaking)

I am looking for a real life example not a liberal egg head government taxpayer paid for study.

I never figured you to be the type of man to buy into the liberal MSM crap. Hell lets just all drive a PRIUS eat seaweed, and let the fertile fields grow up in brush.
Not sure what happened to the subject of corn in the fuel.. I don't want corn fuel in my saw, my tractor, my splitter, my jeep, my car, my truck, my bikes,, don't want one god !@mn bit of corn fuel.. Does that ID me as a conservative or a liberal ? I think not. Please provide examples of fuel systems made to use corn. Not political agenda. I don't put ears of corn in my wood stove either. Or the roots, or the stalks, or the husks, or the tassles.

I'll tell you what e10 is fantastic for... all the weed Wackers and chainsaws I've gotten for pennies on the dollar from people who ran that garbage and didn't know how to fix them.
Like my mint condition Homelite SXL Big Red that I got for like $35 because the carb diaphragms were like big scabs.

Back