what in the hell is wrong with this ms361 please help!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my jonsered, the fuel line split at the filter in the tank. Sucked up 15 years worth of sawdust and dirt from the tank and into the carb screen. Possible. Or your diaphragm stiffened up and isn't pumping. Or a chunk of something not allowing the fuel needle to open completely. Or impulse line is cracked

is the impulse line just the line going to the carb with fuel filter on the other end in tank?

That saw needs a oil change bigger turbo and a new fuel injector. And a 3000 stall converter with a manual valve body th400. Also freshen up the blinker fluid

You forgot new muffler bearings. If they go, the saw goes with them. $109 a pop OEM. You need a pair of them in a 361.

Now for serious reply, could be several things. The 361 comes with a limiters on the carb jets. They should be pulled and the tabs removed and the caps put back in place. Otherwise the 361 stock saws will run lean, even with the H screw maxed out. Once the limiter tabs are gone, set the carb to one turn out on the L and H screw and re-tune the saw with a tach. Then set the H screw so it 4-strokes at WOT out of the wood, and cleans up at WOT in the wood.

Also check that your carb is bolted down good. If the carb is loose, the carb gasket and impulse line feed will leak air into the intake. It will act like the impulse line has a crack in it.

Also pull ad check the muffler screen. They can clog up if you use FB or TWC oil. Yah, it sounds dumb until you check and find it caked up.

Bad and old gas is the usual culprit in these things. I have had what I thought was good gas go bad on me. Recently I was using my 026 and I put a new batch of gas in it and it ran like crap. I dumped the tank and ran a different batch of gas and it ran fine again. I tried the other gas that was not mixed in the lawn mower and it also ran like crap. Upon investigation, it seems that 'someone' forgot to put in StaBil as the gas was clear. So I had to dump about 4 gallons of gas. $10, no big deal. I now put StaBil in the gas cans as soon as they are filled at the station. Do not pass GO, add stabilizer now! O/w gas can and will go off in about 3 months as the octane drops like a rock.

chainsaws do not use muffler bearings.
i have only seen them on import cars.

You forgot new muffler bearings. If they go, the saw goes with them. $109 a pop OEM. You need a pair of them in a 361.

Now for serious reply, could be several things. The 361 comes with a limiters on the carb jets. They should be pulled and the tabs removed and the caps put back in place. Otherwise the 361 stock saws will run lean, even with the H screw maxed out. Once the limiter tabs are gone, set the carb to one turn out on the L and H screw and re-tune the saw with a tach. Then set the H screw so it 4-strokes at WOT out of the wood, and cleans up at WOT in the wood.

Also check that your carb is bolted down good. If the carb is loose, the carb gasket and impulse line feed will leak air into the intake. It will act like the impulse line has a crack in it.

Also pull ad check the muffler screen. They can clog up if you use FB or TWC oil. Yah, it sounds dumb until you check and find it caked up.

Bad and old gas is the usual culprit in these things. I have had what I thought was good gas go bad on me. Recently I was using my 026 and I put a new batch of gas in it and it ran like crap. I dumped the tank and ran a different batch of gas and it ran fine again. I tried the other gas that was not mixed in the lawn mower and it also ran like crap. Upon investigation, it seems that 'someone' forgot to put in StaBil as the gas was clear. So I had to dump about 4 gallons of gas. $10, no big deal. I now put StaBil in the gas cans as soon as they are filled at the station. Do not pass GO, add stabilizer now! O/w gas can and will go off in about 3 months as the octane drops like a rock.
Limiter caps are awesome good way to get non running saws or some repair business

Stabil is 90% isopropyl alcohol. You're adding to the problem bot fixing it. It works so well in boats and cars as isopropyl alcohol bonds with the water and allows it to burn. Saws aren't using aluminum fuel lines or fuel injection. Rule of thumb is don't keep gas for 30 days or longer for your small 2 strokes. If it's older than that dump it in your truck. The easiest thing to do is never mix more than you can use in a month.

Stabil is 90% isopropyl alcohol. You're adding to the problem bot fixing it. It works so well in boats and cars as isopropyl alcohol bonds with the water and allows it to burn. Saws aren't using aluminum fuel lines or fuel injection. Rule of thumb is don't keep gas for 30 days or longer for your small 2 strokes. If it's older than that dump it in your truck. The easiest thing to do is never mix more than you can use in a month.
I agree to some of that. The majority of boat engines out there are still being used are not fuel injection i live in the land of 10,000 lakes and i also am a river rat and fishing enthusiasts

its the older ms361 so no limiter caps on carb, carb is on good, muffler modded no screen(not new mod) impulse line is fine, the saw sat for 2 months before this just because i was so busy and i drained it but again doesnt mean the carb wasnt full of old fuel. probably going to have to wait more :( and buy a tach and clean it and retune it anybody know any good tachs?

alright answer fixed everyone carb was gunked up wit acouple small green deposits so safe to assume that was the problem, so until I get carb cleaner today I was looking at the carb itself and the intake plenum can anyone tell me what in the photo below circled is for in the air box itself there is barley any room for this hole to get air threw

Attachments

• 100_2783.jpg
    100_2783.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 78
Back