What is, a "muscle saw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What would be the criteria for joining the ranks of the true "Muscle Saw"?

You could have your "big blocks", or would you include stroked "smallblocks"?

What would be the minimum cc for inclusion? I have my own thoughts, but would be interested in others' thoughts.

Jerry votes for 7 cubes eh?

me thinks you gotta include the Homie 750 on that list.

I own and have run most of the old giants and have spent a lifetime around big powerful engines and equipment so my image of a muscle saw would be different than those that have not been exposed to the same gear. To me a powerful engine is not one that has to rev to extreme limits to make power, a V12 at 2000 rpm with the right reduction running behind it can be a very impressive experience, so can a V16 and so on. A saw turning 20,000 rpm can be impressive but not a muscle saw in my books.

Pioneerguy600
-

How about a Disston DA211 pulling 5ft of 3/4 pitch chain. There is some serious gear reduced grunt. Plus it sounds like a motor boat.

The two man saws were underpowered and overweight to be considered real muscle saws yet they had big engines in some of them, they were just experiments along the way to the real muscle chainsaws capable of being used one man style until the bar length increased over 60" ,then a helper handle came in handy or use a smaller saw to start the kerf.

Pioneerguy600

Try running this crank in your chainsaw,...LOL

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%20078.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Jerry is that your house?

No ,that is a museum in Fort Nelson along the Alaska Highway, they have a slew of old equipment that was used to build that highway, I took picts of it all. In the 13,000. klms I drove I came across a lot of old machines. Funny thing is that I have operated and worked on ones like them, started at 9 years of age on TD 15`s.

Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back