What is, a "muscle saw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eccentric could you get a vid of that TD18 would be neat to hear and see.

I've been planning on swiping the digital video camera from the Wife and heading out to the ranch for that very purpose. Life keeps getting in the way however. When I finaly make it out there (maybe as soon as tomorrow) I'll be sure to shoot some video of the TD18A and his 1954 Diamond-T 10-wheel dump truck that's powered by an IHC LV549 V8 (yes that's a 549ci gasser that redlines at around 3K RPM!). That truck sounds fantastic too.....but is more mellow sounding than that 694ci I6 diesel in the crawler. The TD18A's wearing mufflers now, but it's still damn impressive.:cheers:

Edit:
OK once again back on topic!

20 pounds is on the light end of the scale when talking "muscle saws" by the way. The yahoos writing "colorful descriptions" for their ebay and CL ads seem to think that all saws over 10 years old are "vintage" and all over 15 pounds are "muscle saws"...:D

Last edited:
I would say 6hp+ (at non screamer rpm). Anything that can pull a 30" plus bar with authority. A saw that no matter if you are a pro or not you better have your cleats on when you hook it to wood. Although there are a few modern muscle saws, I find a larger number of muscle saw models in the older saw ranks. Also I agree the Homelite 750 should DEFINATELY be on the list. To me, it helps if the saw sounds like an old Bultaco or Hodaka when it's running.:smile-big:

I like any thing that will pull a 3' bar as a min. That way my 2 homelite 1050's make the grade. I've got a DA211 and don't think it's a muscle saw. It's more like the big rig that tows the race car. Big and impressive, yes, hot rod, no, Joe.

The original "muscle saw":

2-man-saw.jpg

Yep, one of the original muscle saws.

Was that saw made by Armstrong, or Akin-Back?

Back got new partner and sold saws under the name Back & Forthe. We can't forget some of the other brands--Hardey-Menne, Poosh & Poole, & Sorher-Bonnes.

I would consider the Super 250, Super 44A and other saws in that class muscle saws.

I agree! These saws will keep up and will not bog out like a modern saw there size! I would put a 36"bar on them with out blinking!

The mighty Homelite 900 series geardrive saws are pure old school muscle. 112 cc's of old growth mauling power in these units.

Here is the 900G

attachment.php

Need a chain Chris!
Just busting balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(still jealous over your last 10 scores!!!!!!)

The original "muscle saw":

2-man-saw.jpg

That saw is called or referred to as:
HUSQVARNA I got to do this!
My back is STIHL hurting!

Yeah Man,

That one would qualify fo' sure.

Howz about a "class" from 80-90,

90-100 ish,

100-110 ish

And everything above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,eh?

Does that have the same powerplant as the Wards 820?

Yeah Man,

That one would qualify fo' sure.

Howz about a "class" from 80-90,

90-100 ish,

100-110 ish

And everything above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,eh?

Does that have the same powerplant as the Wards 820?

It has the West Bend 820 engine
from the 80-90s , a Dolmar 143 and a Oleo Mac 999 is all I have.

Cool,

That was owned by Ma mopar back in the day, McCulloch, and West Bend made some screamin' kart engines back then.

80 cc class

The Poulan 5400 would qualify.

Locomotive cranks are large, moved several with aid of a overhead rail crane,
but think some ship marine diesels are bigger.

Latest posts

Back